• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,793 posts in this topic

a few more from the last year.

Went to the small one day Granada Hills Comic Con Yesterday. Traded for a bunch more books, and made a connection who could trade man many more books with.I picked up a 51 along with first Green Hornet, and a poor first bonanza

there were a few guests there including Johnny Crawford ( Mark McCain), And the new LURCH. Hard to believe that Johnny is nearly 70. IMDB says he is 5'8" but he could not have been more than 5"6" and that was with the cowboy hat he had on the entire time. While I picked up a spanish version of a Rifle Hombre a month or so ago, I do Not have 1009 the only Four Color prior to being spunoff into its own series.

fc%20106%20Tillie%20the%20Toiler_zpsgkcalewg.jpg

fc%20066%20Gene%20Autry_zpsxd0iaxrc.jpg

fc%20075%20Gene%20Autry_zpsiedjrbro.jpg

Went to the small one day Granada Hills Comic Con Yesterday. Traded for a bunch more books, and made a connection who could trade man many more books with.I picked up a 51 along with first Green Hornet, and a poor first bonanza

there were a few guests there including Johnny Crawford ( Mark McCain), And the new LURCH. Hard to believe that Johnny is nearly 70. IMDB says he is 5'8" but he could not have been more than 5"6" and that was with the cowboy hat he had on the entire time. While I picked up a spanish version of a Rifle Hombre a month or so ago, I do Not have 1009 the only Four Color prior to being spunoff into its own series.

TERRIFIC! :applause::applause::applause:

mm

Love that Tillie. Johnny Crawford may have been 5'8" at one time, but age -- and gravity -- can take a toll!

Those last two are John Stanley (Little Lulu) books and are really under appreciated. Cool stuff.

Uploaded another 30+ in the last few days so quite a backlog to post

fc%20213%20Tillie%20the%20Toiler_zpswdb9osc8.jpg

fc%20183%20Oswald%20Crippen_zpsgfkcurs1.jpg

fc%20154%20Andy%20Panda_zpsvtgogzkl.jpg

fc%20309%20Doll%20Face_zpsiwkgg5l7.jpg

:o

I've never seen that issue before.

You can find it if you look hard enough but trying to find a copy better than VF...almost impossible. You may never see a Fine copy!

I've never seen this either. I know there are probably a few other FCs I've never seen, but it just astounds me when I come across one.

I find Four Colors fascinating because there are just so darn many of them! I used to flip through the old Overstreets in awe of the pages of listings and dream of owning them all. I had no idea what some of the titles were or who Tilly the Toiler was but I still wanted to own a run that large. :cloud9: Interestingly, I never had that feeling of love for the Classic Illustrated books even though they took up as much Overstreet real estate. hm

I find Four Colors fascinating because there are just so darn many of them! I used to flip through the old Overstreets in awe of the pages of listings and dream of owning them all. I had no idea what some of the titles were or who Tilly the Toiler was but I still wanted to own a run that large. :cloud9: Interestingly, I never had that feeling of love for the Classic Illustrated books even though they took up as much Overstreet real estate. hm

You may have a lot of company in your feelings about Classics Illustrated books. They are kind of like the chaff in the field of comic books. I can recall one thread on the subject in the last 3 or 4 years on these boards.

I know I have perhaps 25 issues, with all but 2 being given to me by friends.

I'm going to have to try and obtain a few more Four Color books, as it's been about a year since I added one to my collection.

You may have a lot of company in your feelings about Classics Illustrated books. They are kind of like the chaff in the field of comic books. I can recall one thread on the subject in the last 3 or 4 years on these boards.

I'm going to have to try and obtain a few more Four Color books, as it's been about a year since I added one to my collection.

That is interesting...I owned Classics Illustrated #1 when I was trying to buy the 100 most important comics as defined by Jerry Weist in book of that title. I never quite made all 100, but I did buy that one. It never broke my heart to sell it, which I probably sold at a loss. I was a Moby Dic-k fan and still have a nice copy of the first edition of that book. But I have never had the slightest interest in even thinking about that collection. Unlike Four Color it's really a collection of reprints. If you buy just the first edition there are only 169. But then you multiply it by 5-20 reprints...Yikes-

That is interesting...I owned Classics Illustrated #1 when I was trying to buy the 100 most important comics as defined by Jerry Weist in book of that title. I never quite made all 100, but I did buy that one. It never broke my heart to sell it, which I probably sold at a loss. I was a Moby Dic-k fan and still have a nice copy of the first edition of that book. But I have never had the slightest interest in even thinking about that collection. Unlike Four Color it's really a collection of reprints. If you buy just the first edition there are only 169. But then you multiply it by 5-20 reprints...Yikes-

The reprints and how to identify them definitely intimidated the younger me. The fact that Overstreet had to go into so much explanation on how to identify which reprint you might be looking at boggled my mind. :insane: Combine that with the fact that there just are not that many people who wish to own the illustrated Readers Digest version of Ivanhoe, for example, and its easy to see why the market is small.

Well, in addition to my four color run attempt, I also go for the CIs but I am not going for all variations but since some were completely redone and redrawn you get to about 200 all in and much easier to track down. Not a bad set to have.

when I was first branching out from Super Heroes I gravitated to Classics Illustrateds. I enjoyed learning about the HRN sys of tracking the books. After a few years of buying groups and singles off ebay in the early days I had a copy of almost every title, but certainly not each variant nor first editions. Nevertheless with only a few books missing I lost interest. I ended up keeping one each of every issue including one each of the first editions as well as when the cover was redone for laterreprints. I think I have close to 300 in my collection as well as perhaps 200 more that are for sale.

I then switched to my Four Color Trading Quest after seeing this thread.

Here are a few more of my recent additions

fc%20491%20Silvertip_zpslle4jnyt.jpg

fc%20370%20Porky%20Pig%20Trouble%20in%20the%20Big%20Trees_zpsoo6qlwn9.jpg

and my earliest Four Color thanks to MusterMark

fcfs%202%20Don%20Winslow%20of%20the%20Navy_zpsjyhic8ee.jpg

While they are not "new" to my collection, I just got a bunch of grades back from CGC on a number of books I submitted. While I have many 9-2's to 9.8's and while I would love to have every book in that kind of condition, the scarcity and cost is so great that I was thrilled to get back the following:

200 Bugs Bunny 8.0

211 Little beaver #1 8.5

222 Zane Grays; West of the Pecos 7.5

228 Mask of Zorro (Zorro #1) 7.5

312 Tonto (#1) 7.0

434 Rin-Tin-Tin #1 7.5

567 Prince Valiant #1 8.5

568 Gypsy Colt 8.0

918 (Beep Beep Roadrunner #1) 7.0

990 Huckleberry Hound #1 7.0

1227 Morgan the Pirate 8.5

1234 Phantom Planet 6.5

1236 King of Kings 9.2

1259 El Cid 9.0

Obviously none of these are the quality sought by some connoisseurs but I guarantee that these are the best copies that crossed by path in over 10 years.

Many rarely show up and most show up only in low grade. I feel very honored to have found these books in the grades noted! I'll post a few pics when I actually get them.

While they are not "new" to my collection, I just got a bunch of grades back from CGC on a number of books I submitted. While I have many 9-2's to 9.8's and while I would love to have every book in that kind of condition, the scarcity and cost is so great that I was thrilled to get back the following:

200 Bugs Bunny 8.0

211 Little beaver #1 8.5

222 Zane Grays; West of the Pecos 7.5

228 Mask of Zorro (Zorro #1) 7.5

312 Tonto (#1) 7.0

434 Rin-Tin-Tin #1 7.5

567 Prince Valiant #1 8.5

568 Gypsy Colt 8.0

918 (Beep Beep Roadrunner #1) 7.0

990 Huckleberry Hound #1 7.0

1227 Morgan the Pirate 8.5

1234 Phantom Planet 6.5

1236 King of Kings 9.2

1259 El Cid 9.0

Obviously none of these are the quality sought by some connoisseurs but I guarantee that these are the best copies that crossed by path in over 10 years.

Many rarely show up and most show up only in low grade. I feel very honored to have found these books in the grades noted! I'll post a few pics when I actually get them.

BTW, if anybody is interested I got a Dr Bobbs (212) back in 8.0 that is a duplicate. I had thought it might grade higher. Let me know. Another tough book.