• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,274 posts in this topic

This #2 has a lot going for it:

img577_zps7fijsrrb.jpg

img579_zpsj6717skm.jpg

img578_zpsvtn5xguv.jpg

...one of my favorites.....your copy is way above the average shape this one shows up in....when it even does show up. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Spellbound 2 is a personal fav of mine, the Horror Story is classic Everett! I like that the tale involves horror mags and love the mock up covers in the story and on the cover. One that's titled oddly enough, Suspense!

I can't renember exactly but they seem a bit washed out to me. Maybe they need a little color correction? All I know is that I would LOVE a lamp and pencil holder EXACTLY like on that guy's desk! :headbang:

I can't renember exactly but they seem a bit washed out to me. Maybe they need a little color correction? All I know is that I would LOVE a lamp and pencil holder EXACTLY like on that guy's desk! :headbang:

It looks like a very deliberate choice to present them in mostly B/W with some muted red, yellow and browns in order to create a moody look.

I've seen a number of 50s books where they experimented with monochrome coloring, muted coloring, various screentone techniques, and B/W and or wash panels to create atmosphere. Even when not entirely successful, it tends to be interesting.

Let me contribute something from the ole bucket. If it's in there, I must own this (couldn't recall). Always enjoyed this cover -

Suspense24_zps15915085.jpg

...that's one I've wanted and never read. I like this thread a lot too.... it's a snapshot of every genre that the 50's offered. I'm working my way through the whole thread again..... it's cool. The thing about Atlas is that they have their fan base at every level.....from low to high grade. People are still actually collecting these things. While I enjoy a good discussion about investment potential, it's refreshing to have threads like this one where it's more of a tribute nature. I can't help but give a lot of credit to www.atlastales.com ..... a website devoted to the detailed indexing of each and every Atlas comic ever published..... even spilling over into what are basically Timely and early SA Marvels. I can't think of any other effort geared towards a single publisher that achieves the breadth of data that they have. GOD BLESS...

Let me contribute something from the ole bucket. If it's in there, I must own this (couldn't recall). Always enjoyed this cover -

Suspense24_zps15915085.jpg

Great colors on that copy! (thumbs u

While I enjoy a good discussion about investment potential, it's refreshing to have threads like this one where it's more of a tribute nature. I can't help but give a lot of credit to www.atlastales.com ..... a website devoted to the detailed indexing of each and every Atlas comic ever published..... even spilling over into what are basically Timely and early SA Marvels. I can't think of any other effort geared towards a single publisher that achieves the breadth of data that they have. GOD BLESS...

The great thing about Atlas is that with a few exceptions, most can be had in reasonable lower to mid grade for under $150, and frequently under $50, especially for genres like romance, crime and western. Low grade reader copies even less. Yeah a lot of horror covers in particular have gotten very pricey in 6.0 and higher, and some even in lower grade, but there is plenty of cool stuff in VG-F that still seems reasonable.

While I enjoy a good discussion about investment potential, it's refreshing to have threads like this one where it's more of a tribute nature. I can't help but give a lot of credit to www.atlastales.com ..... a website devoted to the detailed indexing of each and every Atlas comic ever published..... even spilling over into what are basically Timely and early SA Marvels. I can't think of any other effort geared towards a single publisher that achieves the breadth of data that they have. GOD BLESS...

The great thing about Atlas is that with a few exceptions, most can be had in reasonable lower to mid grade for under $150, and frequently under $50, especially for genres like romance, crime and western. Low grade reader copies even less. Yeah a lot of horror covers in particular have gotten very pricey in 6.0 and higher, and some even in lower grade, but there is plenty of cool stuff in VG-F that still seems reasonable.

.... it's a sign of a healthy market. The recent CC auction had some huge surprises for many of us..... but those are rare high end examples. GOD BLESS...