• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Bang,

I have really enjoyed reading through this thread. The comics and memorabilia you have shared is mind blowing. I am a big fan of pre-hero DC Adventure Comics, especially with the jungle themes - just some incredible covers.

Any chance you would be willing to post some DC pre hero Adventure Comics with the jungle themed covers?

Also, I'm not sure if you have said anything to this, but what is your favor publisher from the early to mid Golden Age? Any favorite artists or run of books that you enjoy above all else?

Edited by 40sJohn

1370721906Forbidden_Worlds_001-03_zpsnbuadnxm.jpg

1370722243Forbidden%20Worlds%20003%2035_zpsnrfi15nt.jpg

1370720648J03-301_zpsj5jjp5vk.jpg

1370720841J04-301_zpsnky0xb1h.jpg

Michael, thanks for posting these stories!!! :applause:

I hadn't been giving Williamson much thought in recent years, but seeing the four stories you posted reminded me of how much I have always loved his artwork.

Thank you. Thank you. :cloud9:

Who knew he had work published in Jet Powers. (shrug)

Bang,

I have really enjoyed reading through this thread. The comics and memorabilia you have shared is mind blowing. I am a big fan of pre-hero DC Adventure Comics, especially with the jungle themes - just some incredible covers.

Any chance you would be willing to post some DC pre hero Adventure Comics with the jungle themed covers?

Also, I'm not sure if you have said anything to this, but what is your favor publisher from the early to mid Golden Age? Any favorite artists or run of books that you enjoy above all else?

John, through the years I periodically go through phases where I become more focused on certain publishers . There have been times when I was super interested in Centaur, other times it was Street & Smith, another time it was Novelty Press, etc.

However, if I had to name only two publishers that year after year I always love, it's DC and Dell. They were my childhood favorites and I still love both of them.

Regarding Adventure Comics with jungle themed covers: I promise I'll go through my boxes to see what I've got that might be of interest to you.

Here are a couple of rare Australian digests, Thrills Incorporated #20 and #21. The cover of #21 is by the great Stanley Pitt and would not shame even the best U.S. sci fi titles.

Thrills%20Incorporated0%2020_zpspmrhmb5r.jpg

Thrills%20Incorporated0%2021_zpsbevxapje.jpg

Flex, I love seeing comics I've never seen before. :applause:

I'm curious:

Are the interiors printed in color?

Also, I was wondering if the comics have backup features with characters not featured on the cover?

Great stuff!

Flex,

Last week I bought a stack of old children's books at a sale held at a nearby church.

I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the illustrations in the 1914 edition of Andersen's Fairy Tales.

The artist is Dugald Stewart Walker.

Dugald%20Stewart%20Walker1.jpg