• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

I don't see why a buyer should eat return shipping charges if the books are not as described.

Easy. The buyer needs an ounce of responsibility in deciding to return any item. No seller should agree to let a buyer completely off the hook because of a NM vs NM- situation.

Nah. It's a pain in the neck to have to send books back. That's enough of a cost to discourage frivolous returns. If you sell raw books, you should take returns and refund the shipping. I wouldn't buy a second time from a seller who didn't.

Which is completely up to you but not probation worthy. (thumbs u

Which not one single person said was probation worthy.

One of these days you'll just tell me what's on your mind.

kojak_zpsdh0u4b5y.jpg

That is why I posted your eBay accounts. If my intentions were to damage your potential sales on eBay, I would have just posted them in the eBay blocked user thread. That has a list. That is updated. By me.

It's Harvey's eBay, we're just living in it. :shy:

I don't see why a buyer should eat return shipping charges if the books are not as described.

Easy. The buyer needs an ounce of responsibility in deciding to return any item. No seller should agree to let a buyer completely off the hook because of a NM vs NM- situation.

Nah. It's a pain in the neck to have to send books back. That's enough of a cost to discourage frivolous returns. If you sell raw books, you should take returns and refund the shipping. I wouldn't buy a second time from a seller who didn't.

Which is completely up to you but not probation worthy. (thumbs u

Which not one single person said was probation worthy.

One of these days you'll just tell me what's on your mind.

kojak_zpsdh0u4b5y.jpg

Used20car20salesman_1.jpg

What's with more & more veteran sellers no longer giving books a grade in the sales section? I fully understand when a new seller, that is unfamiliar with detailed grading, just posts pics of books. It's sort of a buyers beware warning to me, but understandable. I also understand when you are running a $3 or $5 sale with stacks of books that you may not list a grade. And yes, I know the "rules" state a scan is acceptable, I just always felt that was a concession for newbs that didn't have the ability to assign a grade.

It just seems like more & more knowledgeable sellers are using this method & just posting scans & price. I understand the whole concept of buy the book, not the grade, but without shots of the back cover or inside page issues it's just difficult to judge sometimes. When they are bulk pricing stuff at $5 to move it out it's fine, when your asking $20 to $100+ a book list a grade if you have the ability to.

While 'm ranting, it's also extremely annoying when you get a nice front cover scan & a note that back cover has staining. Post a picture of the back cover if it's the part of the book with the major flaw!

What's with more & more veteran sellers no longer giving books a grade in the sales section? I fully understand when a new seller, that is unfamiliar with detailed grading, just posts pics of books. It's sort of a buyers beware warning to me, but understandable. I also understand when you are running a $3 or $5 sale with stacks of books that you may not list a grade. And yes, I know the "rules" state a scan is acceptable, I just always felt that was a concession for newbs that didn't have the ability to assign a grade.

It just seems like more & more knowledgeable sellers are using this method & just posting scans & price. I understand the whole concept of buy the book, not the grade, but without shots of the back cover or inside page issues it's just difficult to judge sometimes. When they are bulk pricing stuff at $5 to move it out it's fine, when your asking $20 to $100+ a book list a grade if you have the ability to.

While 'm ranting, it's also extremely annoying when you get a nice front cover scan & a note that back cover has staining. Post a picture of the back cover if it's the part of the book with the major flaw!

I noticed the same trend. Bunch of sales threads lately without grades. Even if there's a back cover scan there may be defects that aren't obvious in the scans. So far I've just clicked out of those threads.

I agree too, about the need for grades, even with an acknowledgment of varying standards, price and grade are linked, if you can price it you can grade it.

If one really honestly had no idea what grade (they at least thought) it was, they could not price it. By definition. (shrug)

What's with more & more veteran sellers no longer giving books a grade in the sales section? ...

It just seems like more & more knowledgeable sellers are using this method & just posting scans & price. I understand the whole concept of buy the book, not the grade, but without shots of the back cover or inside page issues it's just difficult to judge sometimes.

I noticed the same trend. Bunch of sales threads lately without grades. Even if there's a back cover scan there may be defects that aren't obvious in the scans.

I agree too, about the need for grades, even with an acknowledgment of varying standards, price and grade are linked, if you can price it you can grade it.

If one really honestly had no idea what grade (they at least thought) it was, they could not price it. By definition. (shrug)

I agree. If you can't inspect a book first hand, you need all the info that can be reasonably provided to make a fair purchase.

My example of a hypothetical sale.

No grade provided by me but I will tell you it has white pages and post a back scan. My price will be between a 9.2 and a 9.4. I'll tell you that the scans speak for themselves and let you be the judge. :devil:

SF24FNov65b_zps411bf0a7.jpg

SF24RNov65b_zps8eb440cc.jpg

Looks like a good deal. A Sgt. Fury fan might well snap it up.

But .... black staples with tiny pitting and minor interior rust transfer from top centrefold staple. Disappointing if you don't like rust in your collection and -- though it may be but a few dollars -- overpriced.*

If I was selling this ethically -- and by this I mean what would I want a seller to share with me -- I would have priced it lower, provided a grade (or qualified grade) and mentioned the staple rust.

*Before anyone asks, this was a CGC 9.0 that I cracked out. I bought it for just under the the price of a 9.0. I suppose it is a 9.0. You couldn't see the issues through the slab and I have no quarrels with the vendor. Though I'd be happy to trade the rusty staples for three or four spine stresses and small ncb bend. CGC used to mention rusty staples on their labels. (shrug)

I'm avoiding the SA section like the plague as I can't resist buying books at times. I share this opinion, and it is unfortunate that this is occurring. Trust in membership and the community, and also on the relationships formed between repeat buyers and sellers regardless of whether the relationship flip/flips over time is what separates this forum with ebay, auction houses, and other venues. When I run a sales thread, I get many repeat buyers, and I in turn just PM certain boardies when I'm looking for a book and am sure to check out sales threads. To me, that's what this community is all about. I noticed the trend, or the start of this trend, when I ran my last SA sale. The comments/questions/offers were unique for the time. Apparently not.