• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,551 posts in this topic

You are over-looking it.

This is copied and pasted from the ad.

Grade: VG+ 4.5

Cover attached with glue at bottom staple.

It's certainly there now -- and highlighted in yellow. I'm positive it wasn't there before. The book was relisted a couple of days ago after first being listed a month or so ago. I'll speculate that they received it back after the buyer spotted the glue.

Either that or I'm going blind!

Nobody has ordered and returned the item. The item was first listed for sale January 19, has gone through two 30 day ebay listings since then, and has not been ordered by anyone in that time.

Ah, got it. Apparently I am going blind. Sorry for the misinformation. :sorry:

Here's a weird St. John digest. It appears to have a Baker story inside. Is this a Baker cover? Only one I've ever seen.

comslashdoublecross_zpsotkyy6qj.jpg

Haven't seen that one before, so I did some poking around. Grand Comics Database has it listed with the cover and a majority of the stories as being by Matt Baker. http://www.comics.org/issue/319820/

Interesting. First one I've seen.

Added: Just looking at the checklist in The Art of Glamour and they don't list it. hm

Edited by Sqeggs

You are over-looking it.

This is copied and pasted from the ad.

Grade: VG+ 4.5

Cover attached with glue at bottom staple.

It's certainly there now -- and highlighted in yellow. I'm positive it wasn't there before. The book was relisted a couple of days ago after first being listed a month or so ago. I'll speculate that they received it back after the buyer spotted the glue.

Either that or I'm going blind!

Nobody has ordered and returned the item. The item was first listed for sale January 19, has gone through two 30 day ebay listings since then, and has not been ordered by anyone in that time.

Ah, got it. Apparently I am going blind. Sorry for the misinformation. :sorry:

No big deal. It happens. :)

Baker story. Thoughts on who the cover artist might have been? hm

GLv_31_47_zpshrlrwxc1.jpg

Sekowsky?

It does look like Sekowsky, but his Wikipedia page acknowledges no work for him in Girls' Love Stories until issue #38. Girls' Love Stories #31 was published in 1954, and Sekowsky started working for DC in 1952, so it still could be his cover.

Here's a weird St. John digest. It appears to have a Baker story inside. Is this a Baker cover? Only one I've ever seen.

comslashdoublecross_zpsotkyy6qj.jpg

Haven't seen that one before, so I did some poking around. Grand Comics Database has it listed with the cover and a majority of the stories as being by Matt Baker. http://www.comics.org/issue/319820/

Interesting. First one I've seen.

Added: Just looking at the checklist in The Art of Glamour and they don't list it. hm

Wow. Never have seen this one before! I believe that is Baker. At a minimum, he contributed some pencils to that cover in my opinion.

I usually don't have much interest or luck meandering through the Ebay listings, but this one popped up a couple months ago, so I was happy to scoop it up....

pictorial%20romances%209_zpsn9sn2fcm.jpg

Nice!

Midget comics 1 was Baker as well.

That's super rare. I have seen only one other copy. I guess most digests just didn't sell well or had limited distribution because stuff like this just doesn't turn up very often.

As I understand it, many stores didn't know where to display such books. Due to their smaller size, they didn't fit in racks with regular comic books, so they generally got stuck with other books of digest size, which is not where someone who likes comics would be looking. As a result, many digest size St. John's were returned unsold.