• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

I dunno about you guys, but I just don't see Deathmate doing anything.

When they came out I wasn't impressed and I don't recall anything of importance that would make any of them a hot book. I literally just thumbed through tons of them in a 50cent bin this past week.

I feel like Deathmate was the height of ridiculous 90s comics.

It was suprising that they didn't come an with ultra foil super 3D holographic chomromium gatefold yada yada yada cover that was bagged with random yada yada cards and the chance for a thisnthat!

1st app of Gen13. If DC ever gets their heads out of their behinds they'd realize that they have a hot property

If anyone is confused... let me say this clearly.

NONE of the Deathmate books are hot again.

NONE of them are worth digging out of 50cent bins... probably not 25cent bins either.

Unless they are Gold.

Or unless you care about Gen13, which means you want Deathmate Black.

But Gen13 isn't a Valiant property, so it's not part of the Valiant discussion.

When it comes to Valiant... Deathmate is still a 10cent book... every color.

That is all. (thumbs u

NONE of them are worth digging out of 50cent bins... probably not 25cent bins either.

Unless they are Gold.

That is all. (thumbs u

I will be more than happy to purchase any and every Deathmate gold anyone wants to rid themselves of.

Unless they are Gold.

That is all. (thumbs u

I will be more than happy to purchase any and every Deathmate gold anyone wants to rid themselves of.

I think Deathmate Black Gold is worth getting and holding on to. I understand they're not a Valiant property and I am more than willing to buy them for 10 cents, 20 cents, 30 cents or even a whole 1 dollar bill.

DMG_zpszvkzksqp.jpg

Unless they are Gold.

That is all. (thumbs u

its_a_trick_get_an_axe_postcard-r888f0f6be80142819f0cec13ecc76b31_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

Unless they are Gold.

That is all. (thumbs u

its_a_trick_get_an_axe_postcard-r888f0f6be80142819f0cec13ecc76b31_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

lol

Beautiful!

Another reason EW 4 trumps # 5 and Rai 0 as the "1st Bloodshot" -- it was the one most-hyped by Wizard.

Perfect case of the early collectors' market being indoctrinated to think of EW 4 as the primary key, and it was arguably harder to find than Rai 0 because it wasn't ordered / hoarded beforehand, whereas Rai 0 was (just see the old-school American Entertainment ads for proof of this).

As said a few pages back, Rai 0 became an important book not for the "first full Bloodshot" but because it showed the future history of the whole Valiant universe.

I don't care how rare something is, just cause it is "rare" doesn't make it the most collectible. Hulk 181 isn't rare by any means but myself included and everyone else prefers it over 180 because who really cares about a one panel cameo.

Bloodshot collectors that are picking up EW #4.

This might be hard for someone who wasn't collecting at the time to connect with, but one of the things that made people go crazy for certain issues in the '90s was that Valiant had a habit of announcing that a new series was coming and then dropping those new characters into books unannounced. This happened with Bloodshot, Ninjak, and Doctor Mirage, at the very least. Maybe more. There was already speculation going on as the pre-Unity books started to pop, so when those new characters popped up in a book unannounced and everyone knew that a series was coming, there was a mad scramble to pick up those books, because it was the only book that had that character, regardless of whether it was a single panel. I imagine a good amount of what the market will settle on will take that into account, as there are still people that remember that first book as the book.

Unless they are Gold.

That is all. (thumbs u

I think Deathmate Black Gold is worth getting and holding on to. I understand they're not a Valiant property and I am more than willing to buy them for 10 cents, 20 cents, 30 cents or even a whole 1 dollar bill.

DMG_zpszvkzksqp.jpg

I was NOT talking about the Gold books being 10cent books.

"UNLESS THEY ARE GOLD" has its own line in my comments. lol

I am thinking a bloodshot & Hard corps movie would be sweet, loved their interaction and the entertainment series was a great read. What was the first meeting of bloodshot and the Hard corps during the 90's

Hard corps 5?

:cloud9:

HardCorps5cover.jpg

Wow, did some research on this Shadowman 0 rarity, and found this.

Shadowman #0

"0-NON chromium: Non-chromium cover, $2.50 cover price in a white VALIANT logo box. It is Six times rarer than the $3.50 Chromium version as it had a print run estimated to be 35,000."

Can anyone confirm this? Seems low on the print number.

Wow, did some research on this Shadowman 0 rarity, and found this.

Shadowman #0

"0-NON chromium: Non-chromium cover, $2.50 cover price in a white VALIANT logo box. It is Six times rarer than the $3.50 Chromium version as it had a print run estimated to be 35,000."

Can anyone confirm this? Seems low on the print number.

Valiantman's site lists the same ratio, but with the print run at 85,000. When this book was published, Valiant print runs were starting to dip down a bit, but they were still huge, especially on something like a 0 issue.

http://www.valiantfan.com/guide

bookmarked. Thanks!

So close to finishing my key Valiant collection.

It feels good when you get there. But then it just makes you think what the next collecting goal will be.

:ohnoez:

You guys are killing me with this throwback thread. And the artwork too!

bookmarked. Thanks!

It feels good when you get there. But then it just makes you think what the next collecting goal will be.

Transformers. lol I have a bad enough habit there. I think i sometimes do more marketing for IDW than they do.

I tried collecting this stuff 20+ years ago when these books first came out, which was impossible due to the asking prices back then. I am doing way better at getting keys now, and cheaper too.

Solar 3: $6.00

Harbinger 1: $5.00

I know this was unreal for some, but it felt like the universe balancing itself back out because I lost a longbox somewhere. I cannot even remember how many books went missing (or Sold by my parents at garage sales I didn't know about) or stolen. I start to think "didn't I have that one..."

Edited by UltraMaximus

You guys are killing me with this throwback thread. And the artwork too!

bookmarked. Thanks!

Transformers. lol I have a bad enough habit there. I think i sometimes do more marketing for IDW than they do.

I tried collecting this stuff 20+ years ago when these books first came out, which was impossible due to the asking prices back then. I am doing way better at getting keys now, and cheaper too.

Solar 3: $6.00

Harbinger 1: $5.00

I know this was unreal for some, but it felt like the universe balancing itself back out because I lost a longbox somewhere. I cannot even remember how many books went missing (or Sold by my parents at garage sales I didn't know about) or stolen. I start to think "didn't I have that one..."

Do you go by the handle Cyberstrike on other forums?