• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch my slab collection grow from scratch to BIG $$$ scratch!

292 posts in this topic

I had to move my wife's exercise bike, but here is my wall of fame. My favorite character gets his own book! Best. Comic Ever! Best. Cover. Ever. and classic book! BWS & an X-Men love story! Classic Gil Kane greatness!

CBLnITNU0AEY6Rd.jpgCBLnIKWUcAAjFMD.jpg

CBLnITHVIAAIouC.jpg

CBLnLZFUwAAKtdM.jpg

CBLnLgYUIAA3rKa.jpg

CBLnLo2UMAE1F-Q.jpg

They are on the shelf that runs around much of the room. This shelf resides under the Starman wall.

CBLoz0DUkAAAGGH.jpg

Agree this was a great thread. And Sean has been selling some great stuff which I have been taking advantage of.

Bronze Age , Hows it by the lake. Last you posted and we spoke the weather was brutal and the ride also. Getting more used to your new home I hope.

Okay, I will update shortly. Sent in two submissions to cgc now and planning on possible SS attempt at WW Philly in two weeks!

Thank you both for chiming in and encouraging the journaling. I appreciate it.

It is just that is has been slow lately in terms of slab acquisitions. I have been repositioning myself for those submissions to return, but I have said enough already!

More to come!

Edited by Bird

Okay, I have a few minutes here so why not catch up a bit.

First off, a question or two about consigning to cgc. Are there Signature Series forms? I seem to see reference to forms that are no longer online, can I get some somewhere? How tough is getting a witness as a show like WW Philly or Special Edition? Not a facilitator, but a cgc witness. The new guys were charging $11 for such a service at East Coast Comic Con but CGC does not charge for Signature Series witnessing, or do they? I am thinking or getting anywhere from 2-5 books SS'ed at the show if I can, as a warm up experience for Special Edition where I will hope to get a dozen or so signed and slabbed - at least if all goes well..

Okay, I sent in two submissions to CGC in the last month or so.

The first submission was a tentative dip of my toe in the cgc waters. I had put my X-Men 266 in the PGM thread sometime last year and the consensus was 9.4. I decided that a 9.4 would be good enough for me although a 9.2 or even a 9.0 should be expected (and a 9.6 hoped for!!!). So at the Mike Carbonaro Big Apple show, whatever it was officially called, I dropped off 5 comics for slabbing. The X-Men 266 was accompanied by 2 issues of Moebius Comics: The Airtight Garage, a Seth Fisher comic to be named later, and my copy of Moebius/Stan Lee The Silver Surfer 1. I thought that these comics would provide me with information on grading that I could hopefully learn and benefit from and at the same time I would get comics I can enjoy owning and looking at in slab form. Or as in the case of the X-Men 266, I can learn about grading and at the same time make a few comics in my collection liquid. So when they come back the 266 goes up for sale to hopefully pay for the rest of the slabs, or at least for 3 of the 4.

Now I dropped these off at the show but did not sign up for a membership. Well, at least not at that time. I quickly accumulated enough comics that I decided to spend the $30 for an account of my own though. And about 2 weeks after the convention I paid my money and sent off 20 more books to Florida!

I'll tell you all about that order some other time. But it contains the comic I have strangely begun to hoard. It actually contains 2 copies of that comic. I have decided to focus on certain books that my limited experience shows me are worth at least $50 or so in 9.0 and would therefore not hurt me too much if I make a mistake in buying them. I would say I have three books I am looking for at every booth in a convention. Then there are the dozen or so newer issues everyone wants, the Thor 12s and such. I am on the lookout for those as well. I have the prices I need to pay in mind for those 15-20 comics. (Or at least have some price in my head, right or wrong as it may be!!!) I am working on getting more issues in my mental list, like NYX 3 for instance. That book is expensive enough to hurt me if I buy too high too often.

But there is another book I have seen around a lot. In fact I am still steaming that I missed out on a 4 copy lot one night about 3 weeks ago. I seem to have quickly made it my go to book. I bought one from a boardie who said he was going to send it in himself and blah blah blah. When I took it out of the box it looked great but when I took it out of the bag the book done curled up a bit. I have another copy that I received last week or so that has some rippling on the bottom edge; I put that one next to my BA12 that needs cleaning and pressing.

Oh yeah, I got a BA12 along the way too.

Paid a little too much, not too much too much but a little too much. Nothing six months or a year or so of continued appreciation shouldn't be able to fix. It is the light stain that concerns me. So my BA12 and the other comic sit in the corner waiting for their savior to arrive.

Or at least waiting for me to go to joeypost or someone!

Edited by Bird

okay, try try again!

Okay, noob question time. I would like to get a few SS books at Philly. I do not know exactly how to do this but thought I had a general idea - go to cgc booth, request witness, and then do whatever they say! I asked a few questions in other threads but no luck with replies, so here is my current confusion.

On cgc it says this

On-site Comic Tier Pricing:

Modern (comics 1980–present, valued $200 or less) — US $25

Economy (comics valued $300 or less) — $50

Standard (comics valued $1,000 or less) — $85

Express (comics valued $3,000 or less) — $140

WalkThru (comics any value) — 3% FMV; min. $225, max. $3,000

Signature Series Services for on-site grading — Modern Tier grading fee + $11; for all other tiers, add $10 to grading fee (per signature)

Signature Series requests can be made for on-site grading. However, if CGC and its affiliates are unable to obtain the artist(s) signature(s) by Saturday early afternoon, the books will not be able to be submitted for on-site certification and will have to be brought back to CGC’s facility for regular tiers of certification. You will be responsible for all costs associated with the grading and shipping of this comic in order for it to retain its Signature Series designation.

Now I figured I had to do all the leg-work on getting my sigs, but is this telling me that I drop the books off unsigned and pay $25 modern fee + $11 + whatever the creator charges for signature and they come back Sunday signed and yellow labelled and everything? But no guarantee they can get the sigs by cutoff time?

I cannot be reading that correctly, right?

Noob-osity is embarrassing.

C'MON! RAK me with an answer

I am a noob slabhound. Two submissions (5 books, then 20) still in FL but today was my first attempt at onsite and setting up SS and all went well. only 8 books for onsite but I will drop another order off for home delivery on Sunday when I pickup my first sketch blank SS, and it should be sweet. I paid too much but it should be smoking cool on my shelf until I sell it. And all slabs go before the move to Hawaii in 12 years.

CEcSxiuUsAACCrw.jpg

I did not really go through and write down my grade expectations on those 8 books up there but I definitely know what I saw on them and am interested in getting my first grading feedback. The Inhumans 1 from 1975 will be interesting - I noted some NCB spine ticks (that was my first attempt at grading code - I usually have no idea what all those letters mean and still may not!) and some other flaws so where that ends up will be a good learning lesson for me. The JBNM 21 is a sweet book and is the strongest of the bunch in my opinion, even against the moderns I think. Well, is it Sunday yet?

I got these 4 books today as well

CEcQuIIUkAAyo-e.jpg

I already have entirely too many OM3 (I so love that book) and am getting a bit heavy on SW8 as well. I think 2 VCCs from now may be my coming out party!

Okay, my 8 submissions are slabbed and ready for pickup and Renee says my cover blank is no longer blank!

See you bright & early Philadelphia!

Jason / youmechooz hooked me up with a badge so I will deliver him donuts around 9:30 and get in line for another cgc submission, including some cool signature series! Hopefully they will have some more onsite slots open for tomorrow and I think I can be in the very front of the line with my 10-15 books.

Thank you again to youmechooz!

CEkpoKDUkAAqRU8.jpg

Signature Series onsite for pickup tomorrow!

I also dropped off 7 more books, and then bought a SS4 and submitted it and then a Conan 3 and submitted it!

I love onsite!

Okay, I got the books back from the submission above. I was hoping for 4 9.8s and got 2. All in all I guess I did okay but I was really disappointed in the two low books. So I got, 9.8 X 2; 9.6 X 3; 9.4; 8.5; and a 7.0!

I am really hoping for a 9.8 on that Zeck cover sketch but the Secret Wars 8 is a guess to me. It is the best of the three I have, but could probably use a press. I am also very hopeful on the Conan 3 I got but less so on the SS4, which I bought for the strong color but it has some issues I should have considered dealing with before impulsively slabbing it.

Let it be known that despite all this press talk, I have not ever seriously considered pressing a book. I am not ruling it out in the future, but not yet.

Pics coming eventually I guess, but not before some work perhaps.

Cool books. Look forward to the rest.

Made me go look for my Secret Wars #8 to see what grade i have. Mine is a 9.6 . I got a raw Omega Men 3 , never thought of sending to CGC. Dont think it would come back very high.

Sometimes you get lucky . I sent CGC my venom #1 black copy and thought it was a 9.0 tops and maybe even a fake and it came back a 9.8. Was shocked.

Okay, here are some of the ones I will not be keeping. I think I may do a sales thread next week. No grader notes yet on any of them; I was really hoping for a 9.8 on that Star Wars as I thought it was a great looking copy. I get 11 books back tomorrow as well.

CEmoDTPUgAAHNBt.jpg

CEmoDPyVIAEqjnV.jpg

CEmoDLwVAAEGOHd.jpg

CEmoDNmUIAE4yqx.jpg

CEmpc1TUEAAXrIQ.jpg

CEmpc2BUMAAZiGE.jpg

I really want to see the grader notes for that JBNM 21! I thought it was an excellent never-been-pressed book. I guess pressing has its' advantages because I bet this book could jump up if done right. I do not know what I am going to do with that Inhuman book. It is too new and unique to price, so I may ebay it. Same with one or two due back tomorrow.

And though the grader notes are not yet available, look how wrong I was about that JBNM! I called it the strongest of the bunch in a post above but was waaaaay off. I need to know what to look for. I was hoping for 4 9.8s and got only 2, but not bad. If that Inhuman graded lower I would have thrown in the towel as I have a bunch of moderns that look flawless to me, glad to see some verification with that and the ASM4. Although I thought the ASM 4s were grade equivalent so hopefully some notes will accompany the 9.4 grade..

CEkpoKDUkAAqRU8.jpg

Signature Series onsite for pickup tomorrow!

I also dropped off 7 more books, and then bought a SS4 and submitted it and then a Conan 3 and submitted it!

I love onsite!

Is that an original Zeck sketch? Very cool!!!