• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

History making Hitler checklist
7 7

314 posts in this topic

#8, not sure what year but either 1940 or 1941

Cover dated Jan 1942, but apparently on newstand on Oct 29th ( :cloud9: date stamps). Since there was no Daring Mystery #9 and the good Capt didn't make the cut for Comedy #9, we'll have to wait till 3050 to see how this turns out!

DaringMystery8.jpg

This may, and in fact is likely, answered somewhere above, but to save me time from reading through ALL the posts, can someone tell me which was:

(1) the FIRST comic book to feature Hitler on its cover?

Until I saw Boot's copy of Mean Scamp-F, I would've said Capt America #1! Now (shrug)

(2) the FIRST comic book to feature Hitler or nazis in a story?

First appearance of Hilter (plus, Stalin and Mussolini) in a comic book appears to be Sun Fun Komiks from 1939. First Hitler story: Daring Mystery #6 (Sept 1940)?

Posted before, but here's Sun Fun again:

SunFun.jpg

(3) the FIRST comic book to feature the Japanese (as enemies/aggressors) on its cover?

First Japanese reference I'm aware of on any comic cover is Pep #22 - this would've been on newstand well before Pearl Harbor.

Oddly, except for the first Hitler appearance, I found none of the other "firsts" noted in OSPG.

Cover dated Jan 1942, but apparently on newstand on Oct 29th ( :cloud9: date stamps). Since there was no Daring Mystery #9 and the good Capt didn't make the cut for Comedy #9, we'll have to wait till 3050 to see how this turns out!

DaringMystery8.jpg

The Blue Diamond! The Thing time-travel saga with the Invaders, where most of those golden age charaters were re-introduced, has been one of my first Marvel readings, when I was about 10. I recall Thin Man joking about the fact he was "old".

What a beautiful cover, and I’m sure the issue is great, thank you for posting, and for all the great information. :foryou:

First appearance of Hilter (plus, Stalin and Mussolini) in a comic book appears to be Sun Fun Komiks from 1939. First Hitler story: Daring Mystery #6 (Sept 1940)?

Do you know if these has been scanned from someone? I’d love to have high-resolution scans of the stories! Of course, the Daring Mystery is not public domain, but I am seeking them for private use.

This italian "landscape size" comic book (from 1947) is the first collected edition o f the story "Pippo e il Dittatore" (Pippo and the Dictator), which originally appeared on the rare italian magazine "Intervallo" in 1945:

No_05_PippoeilDittatore.jpg

The story is part of a trilogy drawn between 1945 and 1947 by Benito Jacovitti, one of the most important italian cartoonists.

Jacovitti started his career in 1940 on the pages of "Il Vittorioso", an important italian "journal sized" comics publication by catholic-inspired publisher A.V.E., when he was barely 16 years old. In his youth was somewhat agreeable towards the fascist regime (his first story – a satire on the British army – actually shows Pippo and his friends rescued by a german nazi boat!), but then, later on, enrolled in the army was in Germany and risked to be forcedly enrolled in the SS and was able to escape thanks to the intervention of a bishop.

His style started to get mature around 1945 and afterwards he really produced masterworks of the comic art. "Pippo e il Dittatore" works more or less like Charlie Chaplin's famous movie, and it’s very enjoyable, not the average Hitler parody, especially considered it’s from an italian perspective.

Edited by vaillant

Updated Hitler cover list.

All Winners Comics 6

America's Best Comics 7

America's Best Comics 8

All Star Comics 24

Arrow 3

Batman 18

Big Shot Comics 25

Big Shot Comics 28

Big Shot Comics 32

Big Shot Comics 43

Big Shot Comics 46

Big Shot Comics 57

Blue Beetle 32

Blue Beetle 34

Blue Bolt v4 #1

Blue Circle Comics 3

Bomber Comics 2

Bomber Comics 4

Boy Comics 4

Boy Comics 7

Boy Commandos 2

Captain America Comics 1

Captain America Comics 2

Captain America Comics 36

Captain Marvel Adventures 21

Captain Marvel Jr. 10

Captain Marvel Jr. 13

Catman Comics 3

Catman Comics 16

Catman Comics 19

Catman Comics 20

Champ Comics 24

Comedy Comics 20

Comedy Comics 22

Daredevil Battles Hitler 1

Daredevil Comics 18

Famous Funnies 102

Fantastic Comics 21

Fantastic Comics 22

Four Favorites 1

Four Favorites 11

4 Most v2 #4

Great Comics 3

Green Hornet Comics 13

Headline Comics 8

Jackpot Comics 5

Joe Palooka 2

Jolly Jingles 12

Krazy Komics 9

Marvel Mystery Comics 37

Marvel Mystery Comics 46

Marvel Mystery Comics 63

Marvel Mystery Comics 64

Master Comics 13

Master Comics 29

Miss Fury 3

Miss Fury 4

More Fun Comics 75

Mystic Comics 7

Mystic Comics 9

Mystery Men 27

National Comics 12

National Comics 38

National Comics 39

Power Comics 2

Prize Comics 37

Real Life Comics 3

Sensation Comics 13

Shield-Wizard 8

Silver Streak 16

Silver Streak 21

Sparky Watts 1

Speed Comics 16

Speed Comics 21

Speed Comics 24

Speed Comics 31

Spy Smasher 9

Spy Smasher 10

Startling Comics 12

Super Duck 1

Superman 17

Super Rabbit 1

Supersnipe Comics 8

Supersnipe Comics 9

Taffy Comics 2

Target Comics v3 #8

Terry-Toons Comics 7

Thrilling Comics 41

Thrilling Comics 44

Thrilling Comics 45

T-Man 6

T-Man 34

Uncle Sam Quarterly 5

Uncle Sam Quarterly 7

USA Comics 2

USA Comics 5

USA Comics 9

Weird Comics 20

Wonder Comics 1

Wonderworld Comics 32

World's Finest Comics 9

Young Allies 1

Young Allies 9

Zip Comics 20

I found one from 1960. Black Magic vol 7 #5, Hitler and "little green men" on this cover! Really cool!

West

I've got one of these as well. It's a great Hitler cover even if it doesn't fit the time frame you're looking for. Too bad Hitler isn't found in the story though (it was a boring read).

Black_Magic_5_zps87ihynto.jpg

Still wondering why this random German U-boat commander is supposed to be Hitler. (shrug)

I'm inclined to agree with you, Sqeggs. The character in Blue Beetle's had looks like he could be any Nazi officer. I checked the stories in the book to see whether Hitler appeared in any of those, but he does not.

http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=20848

Still wondering why this random German U-boat commander is supposed to be Hitler. (shrug)

I'm inclined to agree with you, Sqeggs. The character in Blue Beetle's hand looks like he could be any Nazi officer. I checked the stories in the book to see whether Hitler appeared in any of those, but he does not.

Neither Overstreet nor CGC notes BB 34 as a Hitler cover. Perhaps BB 34 is being confused with BB 32, which clearly is a Hitler cover.

I'm inclined to agree with you, Sqeggs. The character in Blue Beetle's had looks like he could be any Nazi officer. I checked the stories in the book to see whether Hitler appeared in any of those, but he does not.

Cool book, but not a Hitler cover.

It's listed by CGC as a Hitler cover on the CGC registry in the Golden Age Hitler Cover set.

It's listed by CGC as a Hitler cover on the CGC registry in the Golden Age Hitler Cover set.

Incorrectly so. The guy even has Kriegsmarine officer gold sleeve lace. It would take an extremely active imagination to see Hitler on this cover. It's not even one of those borderline "nazi with a moustache" covers.

Mine was a Hitler cover, but you did not care as it’s an italian comic. It’s historically relevant (and the story originally from 1945!), you americans are so self-centered! :sumo:

;)