• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Winning bid was $7877 so who won it? I think the book would grade around a 4.0 because of the spine tick marks, large triangular crease top right corner and back cover on upper left side. The scribbling too would lower the grade as well. Price is decent. If it dos grade a 4.0 or higher unrestored, then buyer did well.

I agree with you on the grade estimate. It looked like my old copy I traded to Innocuous. I kind of miss being able to hold and page through a copy. I have been thinking of getting another, but heck the prices are definitely on the surge again. I wonder how much of this has to do with the TV show?

I don't really enjoy the show only aspect is Capt Cold cause <3 Wentworth in a purely platonic way lol but prices are definitely surging. Would be nice to see a graded book hit an open auction and see where it ends up (like the hulk 6.0)

Tough to gauge pricing on this one with so many private sales....

I wonder if any of our larger dealer friends would be so kind as to give some price ranges they have seen by solid grade?

2.0 =

3.0 =

4.0 =

5.0 =

6.0 =

7.0 =

:wishluck:

Curious to see the responses on the lower end grades.

I think there is enough data out there based on recent sales and ask prices to chart rough FMV for the book.

1.0 3k (could be more or less depending on presentation)

2.0 5k

3.0 7.5k

4.0 10.5k

5.0 15k

6.0 18k+

7.0 $$$

With so few copies available and the fact that presentation/completeness can really be all over the place with the book I think those numbers can really go up or down depending on the specific book. For instance I bet that ugly 2.0 coming up at CC for auction will go below 5k.

I think there is enough data out there based on recent sales and ask prices to chart rough FMV for the book.

2.0 5k

3.0 7.5k

4.0 10.5k

5.0 15k

6.0 18k+

7.0 $$$

With so few copies available and the fact that presentation/completeness can really be all over the place with the book I think those numbers can really go up or down depending on the specific book. For instance I bet that ugly 2.0 coming up at CC for auction will go below 5k.

Those estimated values seem about right for the book. I really think the TV show helped a lot to bring the value to where it is now. Before the TV show announcement, prices seemed steady. When they announced that a show was being written and broadcasted, that's when the madness started.

2.0 5k

3.0 7.5k

4.0 10.5k

5.0 15k

6.0 18k+

7.0 $$$

Gracias!

I completely agree that within a grade the discerning buyer at auction will pay less. However, there in some instances people will pay out the nose based on perceived availability. This book isn't overly common, so depending on the auction audience (and location) the results definitely vary.

2.0 5k

3.0 7.5k

4.0 10.5k

5.0 15k

6.0 18k+

7.0 $$$

I agreed with you when you made this statement and you were correct.

(thumbs u

Indeed! I was watching that book, but I was busy yesterday and lost track of it, it really lagged up until the last day (I guess). That is pretty amazing result, IMHO, for book with a huge chunk out of the front cover, and NO back cover? WOW! :eek:

True, that 1 feedback bidder does look a bit suspicious, but the buyer bid almost and hour and a half after the "shill" so they knew what they were going to pay for it.

Yea something seems strange.

I'm also wondering why the book at Metro is being offered for less than it sold for a few months back. hm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOWCASE-4-1956-CBCS-1-0-FR-1ST-SILVER-AGE-APP-FLASH-BARRY-ALLEN-DC-CGC-PGX-/311261881442?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4878a76462 $2,514.00

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=603790&set=0

$2250.00

Edited by Rip

True, that 1 feedback bidder does look a bit suspicious, but the buyer bid almost and hour and a half after the "shill" so they knew what they were going to pay for it.

True. I lost any interest in bidding when the "shill" started up. I hope the buyer enjoys the book, but I think he/she was suckered big time.

Yea something seems strange.

I'm also wondering why the book at Metro is being offered for less than it sold for a few months back. hm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOWCASE-4-1956-CBCS-1-0-FR-1ST-SILVER-AGE-APP-FLASH-BARRY-ALLEN-DC-CGC-PGX-/311261881442?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4878a76462 $2,514.00

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=603790&set=0

$2250.00

That is strange. (:

If the buyer of that other book bought this also, they could splice the cover section missing from the better book (this one above) and have at least a whole cover. No?

. . . maybe that's who bought the one with the missing back cover on ebay :idea:

I didn't do the math, but could the sale of the donor book (say $1500+) and the rise in value of the one with the missing top piece, add up to more than the net costs of buying them both :insane:

. . . maybe that's who bought the one with the missing back cover on ebay :idea:

I didn't do the math, but could the sale of the donor book (say $1500+) and the rise in value of the one with the missing top piece, add up to more than the net costs of buying them both :insane:

I doubt it, considering the Frankenbook would either have large detached chunks from the front cover or be restored.

I doubt it, considering the Frankenbook would either have large detached chunks from the front cover or be restored.

BTW. I'm not advocating this, but wouldn't a restored copy grade higher and even at a 4.5 - 5.0 what would that be - $3000-4000?

And the near coverless donor copy could del for what a grand? And would the donor copy would have enough cover left to restore it maybe? Lot's of cheaper books had that same back cover. hm