• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready Player One

148 posts in this topic

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but its appeal is entirely down to referencing cool nostalgic stuff. Otherwise, it reads like a pretty amateur fanfic (I'm so sorry, but it's true!) But I really did love reading it, so here's hoping they get permission to put in all the vital reference material.

The fun of the book is basically wrapping a schoolboy fantasy heroic adventure around a drunken reminiscence with stoned mates saying "Oh wow, remember playing D&D? That was awesome. And remember we used to play Asteroids on one of those cocktail table cabs at the café? God I could quote Holy Grail / War Games / Ferris Bueller all day couldn't you? Those 80s anime shows were great...etc etc." (With 'Safety Dance' playing on the record player).

But I can't wait to see giant Ultraman 'Ultra-Slice' Mechagodzilla above a battlefield teeming with retro sci-fi/videogame/comicbook avatars.

Thanks. (thumbs u That's probably for the best. The movie is a long ways off and plenty of time for more readers to experience the novel for themselves.

No way a movie is going to capture all the detail and nuance, not matter how well done. Book first, then the movie.

Thanks again to Grails, wherever he may be, for getting me to read this book. So fun.

1044782133498940774.gif

Cline's second book, Armada, come out in a few months. Pretty excited. Ready Player One was amazing.

I just looked that up. Isn't that the plot of The Last Starfighter ? hm

Probably not. I'm sure Cline has something different planned, but I'll bet you anything you like he's going to reference said movie.

There's a documentary on Netflix, Atari: Game Over. Without doing any spoilers part of it was Ready Player One author Ernest Cline getting to the Alamogordo NM dump for the excavation of the mythological Atari E.T. game cartridges.

When the documentary was over it struck me that there's a weird Nerd-Loop to it all somehow. The rockstar game designer busting his azz over Spielberg's E.T., that whole Atari's demise legend, and Spielberg signing on now to do Ready Player One. There's some kind of warped synchronicity that's, uh, yeah...

Anyway, I recommend Atari: Game Over. Good fun. (thumbs u Enjoy. :)

I'm almost done reading the book - for the third time!  I never read a book a second time but this one hooks me every 6 months or so and I end up plowing thru it in a few days.  Love love this book and the movie is looking great also.

I liked the book when I read it a few years ago. Thought it was good, but basically un-filmable. Until Spielberg signed on. Yay!

The trailer looks like it might do the story justice, but the more I think back to the book, the more I'm convince it was just a rip-off of the far superior Snow Crash (by Neal Stephenson) but with '80s pop culture references bolted on.

Seriously - if y'all liked Ready Player One, read Snow Crash.

I've watched the trailer like 12 times already. I've spotted several 80's and pop culture references: Deathstroke and Harley, the BTtF Delorean, Duke Nukem, the ostriches from Joust. just so cool! Going to reread the book!

Reading this now. Its very very good! One of the first books to grab me in a long time. Only about 100 pages in. I know about every reference mentioned.