• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
15 15

3,116 posts in this topic

Congrats Rob. You should be just about done soon the way you're buying.

Thanks, we'll see how it goes. Swinging the #1 and still being able to react if a #7 comes up will be a challenge. I'd love to be down to just those two though. That would be great. I'm nearly there.

Rob congrats on all your books my man!! :headbang:

Quite the fricken haul - quantity yes.....but quality, awesome as per your usual. #4 #5.... Hello!! (worship)

As for your #84 :applause:

Don't feel too bad about the price, I remember paying for some reason a lot for my 9.6. Must have been somebody else who wanted it too. Maybe it's a toughy on the census, have never checked, perhaps not too many 9.6s. I just wanted a 9.4, but one never would surface besides an ow I recall. It was via an auction I won it also.

You have a 9.6, beautiful looking copy and a Mass Ped too boot - don't ever mull over what you paid for it, cause that is s Bute!!

I'm happy with the #84, don't get me wrong. I put a bid down to win it and win it i did (thumbs u

I'm really happy with the 4 and 5. I think my 2-5 run is just about as good as I could expect to see in the grade. Now I just need a #1 to match :)

As for your #7, you are so right with that book.

It easily could be tomorrow that one comes forth you never know. I just remember around the time I bought mine, leading up to and after my acquisition from Roy, it seemed like when it rained it poured with 9.4s than.

Personally speaking....

(might have already stated in this thread to you or someone else, so forgive me) besides the three 9.6s: Josh's old 9.4 Western Penn => Doug's 9.6 West. Penn => new owner?, than Mike's GORGEOUS 9.6 he owns (worship) , than the other 9.6....I've never seen nor know who owns it (you probably know)

......the 9.4 that Rube once owned:(, and there was one in particular of Roy's flurry he brought forth to CGC, that was imho, the prettiest 9.4 curb appeal wise & structurally I have ever seen. Man it was a flawless looking copy. No clue how it wasn't a 9.6. Maybe it upgraded to the mystery 9.6 for all I know - it was that purdy!!

Those two 9.4s I feel would look perfect in your best of the best set.

Best of luck on shutting out your set Rob.

Which btw, I coin your set upon completion..........

"Rob's Daredevil Art Review Collection" :acclaim:

:acclaim:

Rob,

May I ask why three times you have collected and sold your DD runs?

Were any of your runs as HG as this one? Or certain books uber HG?

Definitely would love to hear what was the first book you purchased when you set out collecting your current set now?

Rob,

May I ask why three times you have collected and sold your DD runs?

Were any of your runs as HG as this one? Or certain books uber HG?

Definitely would love to hear what was the first book you purchased when you set out collecting your current set now?

I did it once in low grade when I was a kid and working in a comic shop. They ended up buying a solid run from 1-100 and I just picked them off with my earnings from the shop and from convention sales. I sold my books during a period after college where (like many people) I didn't have a nickel.

That run was 1-291. That's theoretically what I'm going for here. Once I get up through Miller done the whole process turns into- buy runs, cherry-pick and submit to fill holes because the issues in the 200s don't come up all that often.

I did the run again in higher grade (I had CGC 9.0 #1 and CGC 9.0 #2) starting the beginning of the CGC era. Then we bought a house lol I wasn't enamored with the run and I was selling a lot at the time (65% dealer/35% collector) so it was a pretty easy choice to inject a bunch of cash into the homebuying process.

Once I got back into collecting more actively the idea was to make sure I was going to be satisfied with any books I buy- with a focus on pedigree copies where possible. I'm happy with the way it's gone so far.

I started again with Daredevil #46 Western Penn.

154050.jpg.3fe9a511550cb5712ed1d0cf7f8a5bf9.jpg

Rob, thank-you so much for sharing.

Obviously not your first time to this rodeo!!

I always wanted to inquire, since your passion and knowledge of these books obviously shows.

What a fantastic history you have had with DD. An enduring love affair with Hornhead.

Man you have owned just "a few" DD books over the years!!

Pretty cool about your owning some of the first higher grade DD key slabs.

VERY COOL that your first book of from your new affair is a beautiful Western Penn Jester.

Can't wait for your completion of this act of love!!!!

Group shot!!!!!

Upgrade time... :whee:

dare1.jpg

that's gorgeous....... and 093******* to 097*********** serial sequences are usually VERY tight, if not undergraded...... good score. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

and 093******* to 097*********** serial sequences are usually VERY tight, if not undergraded...... good score. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think it is tightly graded. If I was going to put this much money into a book, I wanted to make sure it was for a very nice copy.