• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

Showcase 30 is getting it's boost partly due to it's position within the Showcase run..... for D.C. collectors, the first tryout issue of a given character within Showcase has always been a prize. Mamoa seems heavily invested in his Aquaman role.... this may provide the Zeitgeist necessary to take the character across the goal line..... Hollywood wise. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well said, Jimbo.

Showcase ... what a great series.

Showcase 30 is your typical early Silver Age DC key that is tough/tougher to find in mid- to high-grade. That quality alone is a big driver in the pricing we see. I still think Adventure 260 is the book to have which precedes Showcase 30 by a year and a half; Showcase 30 is a retelling of the Revamped character origin from Adventure 260.

Seems to me if someone is (now suddenly because of a movie appearance) an early Aquaman "key" collector, the books to have are Adventure 260 and BB 28. Despite all the requisite ebay mis-information and carnival barking Showcase 30 is not an important book (from a substantive point of view) and is superfluous.

-J.

I would not characterize Showcase 30 as superfluous. It is certainly a key because DC is testing out the Aquaman character in his own full-length book for the first time ever. I think it's fair to assume that a lot of kids in 1959 didn't get around to reading the back-up feature in Adventure 260 where Aquaman's origin was tinkered with, so Showcase 30 on those spinner racks targeted and won over a lot of readers. In addition, Showcase 30 is published about a year after the launch of the revamped Green Lantern, one month before the launch of the revamped Hawkman, and a few months before the launch of the revamped Atom. Historically speaking, the book comes at a critical point in time during DC's superhero rebirth.

Showcase 30 is your typical early Silver Age DC key that is tough/tougher to find in mid- to high-grade. That quality alone is a big driver in the pricing we see. I still think Adventure 260 is the book to have which precedes Showcase 30 by a year and a half; Showcase 30 is a retelling of the Revamped character origin from Adventure 260.

Seems to me if someone is (now suddenly because of a movie appearance) an early Aquaman "key" collector, the books to have are Adventure 260 and BB 28. Despite all the requisite ebay mis-information and carnival barking Showcase 30 is not an important book (from a substantive point of view) and is superfluous.

-J.

I would not characterize Showcase 30 as superfluous. It is certainly a key because DC is testing out the Aquaman character in his own full-length book for the first time ever. I think it's fair to assume that a lot of kids in 1959 didn't get around to reading the back-up feature in Adventure 260 where Aquaman's origin was tinkered with, so Showcase 30 on those spinner racks targeted and won over a lot of readers. In addition, Showcase 30 is published about a year after the launch of the revamped Green Lantern, one month before the launch of the revamped Hawkman, and a few months before the launch of the revamped Atom. Historically speaking, the book comes at a critical point in time during DC's superhero rebirth.

I would buy into this logic a little more if BB 28 and his and the JLA's other multiple appearances in the BB run hadn't preceded it, and by such a significant amount of time. And the mere fact that it's part of the "Showcase" run is not, in and of itself, enough to make it a "key". Cool book, cool cover, yes. But Showcase 30 is not a key IMO.

-J.

-J.

Interesting discussion. Any thoughts as to why Adventure 229 is given little to no weight? Collectors basically disregard it, though it seems to "truly" be Aquamans first silver age appearance. I realize that 229 is "Earth 1" aquaman, but isn't this comparable to Swamp Things first appearance in HOS92? That wasn't the character that is now the mainstream Swanp Thing, but rather the introduction of the concept.

Edited by ChasingKingKirby

-J.

I would buy into this logic a little more if BB 28 and his and the JLA's other multiple appearances in the BB run hadn't preceded it, and by such a significant amount of time. And the mere fact that it's part of the "Showcase" run is not, in and of itself, enough to make it a "key". Cool book, cool cover, yes. But Showcase 30 is not a key IMO.

-J.

I agree that the fact that Aquaman's first full book-length feature was published in Showcase is not indicative of anything. But the fact that Showcase 30 is his first ever full-length comic published during a roughly 2-year span when DC editor Mort Weisinger was having his creative teams revamp Golden Age characters is important. What i think the market over-reacts to (just looking at current GPA pricing) is Aquaman #1 under the rationale that its Aquaman's first own title (aka the Iron Man 1 phenomenon).

In summary, and in order of importance for SA Aquaman, I think it should go: (i) Adventure 260, followed closely by; (ii) Showcase 30; and (iii) -- big gap -- Aquaman 1.

Edited by zosocane

I get that Showcase 30 is not his first silver age appearance - but I think it is a key book because of the Showcase connection (I like to collect DC first appearances/tryouts in the Showcase line) and the cover appearance also helps when comparing it to Adventure 260.

That being said it is massively overvalued right now - as are most movie hyped books.

Does this sale seem fishy to anyone else?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOWCASE-4-CGC-4-5-FIRST-FLASH-1956-/171727214068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fbbd55f4

Seller mainly lists non-comic items for sale, has 0 comic sales in their feedback and no 4-figure sales. BIN $3000 under the last sale for a copy in the same grade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOWCASE-4-CGC-4-5-FIRST-FLASH-1956-/171727214068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fbbd55f4

Seller mainly lists non-comic items for sale, has 0 comic sales in their feedback and no 4-figure sales. BIN $3000 under the last sale for a copy in the same grade.

I don't know but all his feedback is positive and he's had some bigger sales and if it's legit that person got a good deal

I don't know but all his feedback is positive and he's had some bigger sales and if it's legit that person got a good deal

That sale will probably be parsed out of GPA because of the aforementioned reasons.

-J.

That sale will probably be parsed out of GPA because of the aforementioned reasons.

-J.

Looks like it was legit and a heck of a deal.

-J.

whoever got it will be happy

-J.

how can you tel if a deal is legit or not? it will show up on gpa?

-J.

"Non regular comic book seller", or however it's phrased, sales that still at least "appear" legit but extraordinarily low are usually speared out from the regular data points.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Sure it is.

-J.

"Non regular comic book seller", or however it's phrased, sales that still at least "appear" legit but extraordinarily low are usually speared out from the regular data points.

-J.

Respectfully disagree with that statement.

The seller is a Top Rated Seller w/100% positive feedback (mostly as as seller) and has been registered on eBay since 2011, under the same user ID since 10/26/2011.Check his feedback.

It was a BIN listing, and the only reason it sold for a few grand below GPA average is because the seller does not primarily deal in comics.That said, he would not know the market very well for the book (has no access to GPA etc etc)....and he went off past sales on ebay to come up with his BIN $9000 figure, figured he'd price it lower than other copies for a quick sale.

Virtually any collector who is looking for this book, in CGC'd mid grade , would be happy to pay 25% below the GPA average for a CGC 4.5.

The seller simply priced it low to sell it quickly, not knowing that he could have gotten at least another $1500 ,and probably just as quickly.

GPA will record this sale, based on the fact that GPA would not be providing accurate sales data, if they did not include this sale.....and what good would the GPA be if it only chose to report higher dollar sales, of key books?