• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

My personal opinion is "don't sweat the small stuff." Meaning, if I understand that what the person meant, that's all that matters.

But, I was was looking forward to possible conflicts. We just had two answers within 1 second of each other. What happens if you have two answers submitted with the exact same time stamp and one is misspelled?

There's no such thing. The board code automatically separates posts, even fractions of second (if possible) within each other. Two posts cannot appear at the exact same place, and exact same time. One of them will be posted after the other, according to how the program parses the code, even if they have the exact same time stamp.

But even if that was the case, the answer is to insist on absolute precision, all the time. Problems solved.

The only real problem is editing, which can be done in stealth, and then we require honor.

The rule has always been timestamp, not location of post.

next!

My personal opinion is "don't sweat the small stuff." Meaning, if I understand that what the person meant, that's all that matters.

But, I was was looking forward to possible conflicts. We just had two answers within 1 second of each other. What happens if you have two answers submitted with the exact same time stamp and one is misspelled?

There's no such thing. The board code automatically separates posts, even fractions of second (if possible) within each other. Two posts cannot appear at the exact same place, and exact same time. One of them will be posted after the other, according to how the program parses the code, even if they have the exact same time stamp.

But even if that was the case, the answer is to insist on absolute precision, all the time. Problems solved.

The only real problem is editing, which can be done in stealth, and then we require honor.

They are the same thing: the time stamp determines the location of the post.

If both people hit "submit" at the exact same second, the board program code will still separate them out, even within fractions of the same second.

Thus, if Person X hits submit at 9:47:33, and Person Y hits submit at 9:47:33, the board will figure out which one was "first", and post accordingly.

In other words, it either picks based on its internal code, or it can figure out who posted at 9:47:33:17 and who posted at 9:47:33:62.

In either case, the post that appears first is the one that IS first, even if the displayed timestamp is identical.

They are the same thing: the time stamp determines the location of the post.

If both people hit "submit" at the exact same second, the board program code will still separate them out, even within fractions of the same second.

Thus, if Person X hits submit at 9:47:33, and Person Y hits submit at 9:47:33, the board will figure out which one was "first", and post accordingly.

In other words, it either picks based on its internal code, or it can figure out who posted at 9:47:33:17 and who posted at 9:47:33:62.

In either case, the post that appears first is the one that IS first, even if the displayed timestamp is identical.

I get what you're saying. We don't see the significant digits. But in the event of equal time stamps, both equal within the sig digits of the software, that same software is forced to place one above another since two posts cannot occupy the same space in this dimension.

The Signature Series Game

- One sig at a time

- 2 points each

- Must identify both signer and book

- Winners determined by time-stamp on post.

- No archives. If not identified, boundaries of pic will be expanded until solved.

- Game will be ongoing.

Round 61

Note: The signer is an actor.

IxFxe57.png

((( Expansion in 60 minutes )))

- One sig at a time

- 2 points each

- No archives. If not identified, boundaries of pic will be expanded until solved.

- Game will be ongoing.

Round 62

X9DigVX.png

I'll be back later this afternoon (PST).

- One sig at a time

- 2 points each

- Game will be ongoing.

Round 63

HSeXd7y.png

<< Expansion in 15 minutes >>

- One sig at a time

- 2 points each

- Game will be ongoing.

Round 64

y28o4QM.png

<< Expansion in 15 minutes >>