• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

more from my wooster ohio shop.sadly,long gone. the owners job forced him to move a couple of states overSCAN0645.jpgSCAN0647.jpg

I NEVER get tired of looking at those. Man, if publishers made comics like those nowadays, I'd buy them in bulk!

GIC 39

Anybody know who did the cover art? The Big 5 doesn't list the pre DC issues.

6FwxhJG.jpg

Yep, cool cover! :)

GCD says:

Pencils: Di*ck Dillin ?

Inks: Chuck Cuidera ?

Many years ago, we hosted Chuck Cuidera as a guest of the Big-5 War Collectors Banquet. He donated a really nice sketch of the Blackhawks to the war comic art auction. Very kind and generous fellow. We were lucky to get him because he passed on a couple years after. One of many who are no longer with us. Along those lines, we had the honor of hosting John Severin, Joe Kubert, Carmine Infantino, Ric Estrada, Bob Haney, Grey Morrow, Dîck Ayers, and Irv Novick as our guests. Grandenetti was kind enough to donate MANY pieces of art in absentia over the years as well. There are only a few left from the Silver Age period. They don't make 'em anymore the way those old guys used to. :(

Edited by Comick1

Ain't that the truth! I feel lucky to live in the city where Comic-Con happens. Helped shape my life, but gave me the opportunity and luxury of helping coordinate the banquet each year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed here, but I feel very positively that we will FINALLY be able to pull Sam Glanzman out again this year. His wife, Sue, is dragging his old badåss WWII swabbie self out on an airplane despite his protests and, at the age of 90, it's time for him to get some notoriety for one of the best series to EVER see print, the USS Stevens.

I'm thinking about doing a bit of fundraising on behalf of Sam & Sue. We have around $1800 in the account right now, but I project that their stay will run close to $2800 including plane flights and hotel expenses (they want to spend a few extra days in San Diego so that they're not so rushed). Any of you guys have some ideas about how to "crowdsource" or do one of those "board fundraisers" on Sam's behalf? I have a couple items that I'd be willing to sell, but I just don't have the time to coordinate a full-on fundraiser in addition to doing the banquet. Too busy with school right now.

Ideas?

Edited by Comick1

Ain't that the truth! I feel lucky to live in the city where Comic-Con happens. Helped shape my life, but gave me the opportunity and luxury of helping coordinate the banquet each year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed here, but I feel very positively that we will FINALLY be able to pull Sam Glanzman out again this year. His wife, Sue, is dragging his old badåss WWII swabbie self out on an airplane despite his protests and, at the age of 90, it's time for him to get some notoriety for one of the best series to EVER see print, the USS Stevens.

I'm thinking about doing a bit of fundraising on behalf of Sam & Sue. We have around $1800 in the account right now, but I project that their stay will run close to $2800 including plane flights and hotel expenses (they want to spend a few extra days in San Diego so that they're not so rushed). Any of you guys have some ideas about how to "crowdsource" or do one of those "board fundraisers" on Sam's behalf? I have a couple items that I'd be willing to sell, but I just don't have the time to coordinate a full-on fundraiser in addition to doing the banquet. Too busy with school right now.

Ideas?

I was just going to see who you were intending to invite to the War Banquet, and saw this post. Perfect! All of you who will be able to meet this legend are so lucky!. :cloud9:

I will see if I can create a thread for donations, aka a fundraiser, but I will be happy to contribute $400 cash to get this rolling. I know that I won't be able to make it, but I also understand that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for all of you guys who will be there and able to attend.

Sam Glanzman is truly one of the greats, and ranks very, very high on the list of under-rated and under-appreciated artists and creators. His work on U.S.S. Stevens is monumental. (worship)

This will be a call to arms for the all of us to step up. Hopefully, we can raise the dough needed to get Sam and his wife, Sue, over to San Diego this year. Please help out, if you can. :foryou:

Andy

Got this one at WonderCon. I am very lucky to have stumbled upon this one, I haven't graded the book yet but it looks to be a strong fine. We all know how hard it is to find the Mademoiselle Marie issues above vg. If I could only find the other issues I miss now.

DSC_0001%20875x1280_zpspmciwhg8.jpg

Got this one at WonderCon. I am very lucky to have stumbled upon this one, I haven't graded the book yet but it looks to be a strong fine. We all know how hard it is to find the Mademoiselle Marie issues above vg. If I could only find the other issues I miss now.

DSC_0001%20875x1280_zpspmciwhg8.jpg

TERRIFIC! :applause::applause::applause:

mm

I've started a small fundraiser to get the monies needed for this year's banquet. Hopefully, there will be a few dollars raised. :wishluck:

Pitch in, if you can. :)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8521572#Post8521572

Andy

Edited by thirdgreenham

Wow some insane prices being asked for CGC graded war comics currently on fleece-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battle-68-CGC-8-0-/301589238629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46381e9365

also a: Battle#70 CGC 6.0 @ $300

another: Atlas War Comics #11 CGC 5,5 @ $550

the demand is not there at this time for the prices being asked for these comics but its nice to see nice CGC graded examples offered,

Ideas?

I was just going to see who you were intending to invite to the War Banquet, and saw this post. Perfect! All of you who will be able to meet this legend are so lucky!. :cloud9:

I will see if I can create a thread for donations, aka a fundraiser, but I will be happy to contribute $400 cash to get this rolling. I know that I won't be able to make it, but I also understand that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for all of you guys who will be there and able to attend.

Sam Glanzman is truly one of the greats, and ranks very, very high on the list of under-rated and under-appreciated artists and creators. His work on U.S.S. Stevens is monumental. (worship)

This will be a call to arms for the all of us to step up. Hopefully, we can raise the dough needed to get Sam and his wife, Sue, over to San Diego this year. Please help out, if you can. :foryou:

Andy

Thanks, everyone, for helping out. We came up a little shy of our goal, but every contribution was certainly appreciated. Mucho gracious! :applause: