• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

Paid off the rest of my MK cover and got 'er up on the wall. :whee:

zBHOwP.jpg

Congrats - looks really great with the black double passe-partout and shiny metal frame (thumbs u

And hopefully that's museum or conservation glass hm;)

So this is probably one you have all answered but when framing art is there a type of glass or plastic that should be used to protect it from light? Or any other things I have to know before I take it to a stranger to frame?

So this is probably one you have all answered but when framing art is there a type of glass or plastic that should be used to protect it from light? Or any other things I have to know before I take it to a stranger to frame?

I once wrote this in another thread:

"Another matter, beyond preserving books, is preservation of (original) comic book art.

Some of us like to get the art framed, and getting this professionally done using anti-UV museum glass (or even conservation glass with 99% anti-UV) can be expensive.

Ok, I have not tried this myself, I love to support my local frame shop, sigh, but going through Gerber's products, there may be ways to provide great UV protection for your art - without paying a premium for anti-UV glass.

So how much can we cut expenses trying to get the art framed similar to using extremely expensive conservation glass?

1. Gerber 4-mil Mylar D archives can be bought here - assuming the art is 10" x 15", 1117R (= 11 1/2" x 17 1/2") should be fine - cost is $16 per 10 pieces (plus shipping):

http://www.egerber.com/category.asp?CategoryID=450&SubcategoryID=559

Remember that Mylar D is something special: "Our specially Impregnated Mylar D stops 99% of the UV light. Mylar D is accepted as photo safe to direct contact and is used internationally by archives and museums. Yes, it costs 8 times more than standard Mylar, but it blocks UV hundreds of times more than other plastics."

Source: http://www.egerber.com/aboutpreservation2.asp

This way getting UV protection similar to conservation glass may be done for a fraction of conservation glass prices, simply by inserting art in 4 mil thick Mylar D® snugs.

Then I guess you can purchase whatever frame you want and just insert the art

Again, I have not tested the above, it's just an idea - but this way you may be able to frame a piece of original art and get 99% UV protection for less than $20 (if you can find a matching prebuild and inexpensive frame).

Or Mylar (D) archives may just be a good way to store art... (note that this post is not intended as some kind of Gerber commercial - there may of course be other Mylar producers offering similar solutions, I just did not take the time to investigate if other kinds of Mylar provide 99% UV protection)."

Normal light will also damage your art in the long run. Thus using museum glass (92+ % anti-UV) does not mean that your art will never fade - but it may slow the speed of fading by about 50% (still, UV protection or not, art should never be exposed to direct sun light - same goes for books of course). I think the source for that info is hidden somewhere in Doc Joe's Journal thread (that's the problem with threads spanning 500+ pages - not easy to find stuff! ;) )

And you'll want constant low temp (like 64 - 68 F) and about 40% rel. humidity too :ohnoez:

If you check my post in the previous page (aka the Azrael and Groo images), I use glare-free or reflection-free glass. I'm not sure how well it protects against light but I don't expose my art to direct sunlight, and the whole thing does look nicer in this kind of glass.

My wife and I finally got some pieces up on the wall in the office/den.

The plan was to keep this cheap. (After all, we'd rather spend the money on more art!) Also, we wanted frames that were easily opened so we could rotate new acquisitions up onto the wall.

We found these guys online-

http://www.wholesaleposterframes.com

10 Poster Frame

• Profile: D

• Color: Satin Black

• Cover: UV Clear Lens Cover

• Backing: Acid Free Foamcore

• Size: 13 x 19

We also looked at the Bags Unlimited 13x19 package which was very close in price and features-

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-200-frames.aspx

We added a piece of Gerber mylar just behind the poly that came with the frames. Then we floated each page in mylar stick-on corners on a second piece or Gerber mylar.

Lineco Mylar corners-

http://www.dickblick.com/products/lineco-archival-mounting-corners/

Gerber Item 1422L-

http://www.egerber.com/category.asp?CategoryID=450&SubcategoryID=560

Floating was necessary for the quick swap. Trying to mat each page would have been problematic with all of the subtle variations in size, cut edges, etc. And we went with 13x19 in case we want to swap in color convention prints at some point.

We cut half-inch strips of archival foamcore to create a thin spacer all around the edges. This goes between the two pieces of mylar, keeping the sandwich from pressing against the art.

The glare is a bit more than I would like, but I feel like we have decent UV protection as a trade-off. Also, we don't plan on leaving a set of pages up for too long.

The assembly was really easy. The only labor intensive steps were cutting the Gerber mylar to 13x19 sheets (at the local Kinkos paper cutter) and then cutting the 1/2" foamcore strips. Cutting the strips was a definite pain. You have to go slow and use a very sharp utility knife down a straight edge -- 10 frames x 4 sides = 40 strips!

Up first- 3 Bagley Ultimate Spider-Man pages, 2 Tony Daniel Flash pages (since we are digging the new show!), and our 5 Breyfogle Batman pages (trying to show a bit of solidarity for Norm's recent health challenges)

Overall, I am enjoying the artwork up on the walls more than sitting in portfolios. I wish we had put the time in to do this sooner!

frames%202015%201%20Custom.jpg

frames%202015%202%20Custom.jpg

frames%202015%203%20Custom.jpg

frames%202015%204%20Custom.jpg

frames%202015%205%20Custom.jpg

Looks great (must be difficult to hang 10 pieces so straight, but then again I'm fighting brick walls and very hard concrete). I especially like the Batman pages and use of Mylar-D for UV-protection (thumbs u

And your wife must truly love you, it'll be over my wife's dead body before she'll let me display the framed art in our living room or similar rooms - but no problem, I like having the art in my man cave, sigh ;)