• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
45 45

17,936 posts in this topic

And the crown jewels of the set....

017_2.jpg

019_2.jpg

023_2.jpg

(Ok, so the story behind this one goes like this: Starlin did everything on the book except edit it and letter it. -script, pencils, inks, colors, Starlin did it all. But in the credits on the title page, there are....other people...listed there. Why...? I'll let you figure it out. I asked Starlin if he could do this one for me, and he said "ok, but just this ONE, I won't be making a habit of this!" One was fine...it's not a 9.8, but it's close enough.)

021_2.jpg

035_1.jpg

033_1.jpg

005_2.jpg

001_2.jpg

003_2.jpg

006_2.jpg

011_2.jpg

009_2.jpg

029_1.jpg

025_2.jpg

027_2.jpg

013_1.jpg

025_1.jpg

011_1.jpg

027_1.jpg

029.jpg

031.jpg

009_1.jpg

Little story on the Strange Tales/Warlocks. When I first started collecting, I didn't know anything about Starlin. But then, Silver Surfer, and then, Infinity Gauntlet, which was the huge #1 crossover of 1991. Huge.

So, by the time I A. had any money, and B. got around to it, all these Starlin books from the 70's were all $20-$30-$40 EACH. Ugh!

Fast forward to 1999...the comic market sucks, everyone's forgotten about Starlin again, and all these Warlocks that didn't sell are now back to reasonable prices.

Well, on eBay, Lange's Sports apparently bought a collection with multiple copies of all of these books...and started listing them....and I started bidding on them...and they sold for $3, $4, $5 each...but I was only willing to buy the "NM- or lower" copies, because the NM, NM+, and NM/M copies were selling for $10, $15, $30 or so.

All of the Starlins you see, with the exception of the #11s (and I think one of those was, too) I bought from them in the years 1999-2001. All of them..every one of them...was not graded better than NM-. In fact, many of them were VFs and VF-s (the #179 was a F/VF.)

Now, granted, I pressed these...but there's only so much you can do if the raw book has no potential. A Todd Lange 2000 "VF-" turned into a 9.6. A F/VF became a 9.4. Back then, it was simply magic, and if I hadn't been so cheap, I would have had a lot more 9.8s.

Those were the days....

:cloud9:

And last, for now, one of my most treasured sets...slowly but surely, finishing them off...one...by one...by one...

030_2.jpg

032_2.jpg

034_2.jpg (one of one!)

036_2.jpg (one of one!)

038_2.jpg (one of one!)

040_1.jpg

028_2.jpg

024_3.jpg

026_3.jpg

001_4.jpg

003_4.jpg

005_4.jpg

007_4.jpg

012_4.jpg

009_4.jpg

014_3.jpg (I cannot stop slabbing this book. There are 5 9.8 SS, and I own 4 of them!)

016_3.jpg

020_3.jpg (The ONLY Batman cover Totleben ever did!)

018_3.jpg

022_3.jpg (one of one!)

So... much... Stan... Lee...

True...but at least he wrote most of them, and worked on all of them except Spidey #121.

:D

And MSH18 which he openly said he had nothing to do with... He is literally going to sign everything before he dies.... :facepalm:

True...but at least he wrote most of them, and worked on all of them except Spidey #121.

And MSH18 which he openly said he had nothing to do with...

meh...he was still EIC at the time, and he IS 92, so he may not remember...

:roflmao:

:roflmao:

:cloud9: