• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Yeah. There's a lot of white there, but I don't think that's too bad. It's nice and straight and presents well IMO. It's only bad if it's off center, which I really hate when it comes to the wrap.

Even a well cut Miswrap on a 227 is off putting for me personally, because of the black cover it just becomes so glaring. But that's me. :grin:

Finally bought a real nice copy of this book. I haven't had any luck locating one at the Cons here in SoCal so I guess they're tough to find in this neck of the woods. Pleased with this copy, though.

862.jpg

Outstanding looking copy, Steve! :headbang: Love me some raw high grade 227's.

Finally bought a real nice copy of this book. I haven't had any luck locating one at the Cons here in SoCal so I guess they're tough to find in this neck of the woods. Pleased with this copy, though.

862.jpg

You and me both!!

862.jpg

You and me both!!

A beauty! Congratulations! When I 1st got mine, I got up in the middle of the night to visit it.

862.jpg

You and me both!!

A beauty! Congratulations! When I 1st got mine, I got up in the middle of the night to visit it.

Very nice Steve. :applause:

862.jpg

Great book Stevenrams! Thanks for sharing! EJR

862.jpg

Now that's the sort of copy I would buy!

Sweet book. Perfectly cut.

Edited by Bane

Seems the Sig Series doh! Twin Cities 9.8 is up at Comic Connect next month. It will be interesting to see what impact the wrap and signature have on this book. My disdain for sig series Pedigrees is well documented elsewhere.

I believe this one changed hands recently and looks like the new owner decided to so the Yellow Label route this summer.

Bats227TC.jpg

Such a sweet book. I think there will be some buyers turned off by the YL, but there are probably some people even willing to pay more for a sig book. Personally, I would never buy a signed high grade classic.

A high grade common, non-ped book I'd have no problem getting signed.

Getting the TC 227 9.8 signed is tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY (imo)

Normally I'd agree but seeing the miswrap on that book I actually don't mind.

It is sad someone would do this to a ped copy. Probably just did it for the potential dollars too, which makes it even sadder.

Seems the Sig Series doh! Twin Cities 9.8 is up at Comic Connect next month. It will be interesting to see what impact the wrap and signature have on this book. My disdain for sig series Pedigrees is well documented elsewhere.

I believe this one changed hands recently and looks like the new owner decided to so the Yellow Label route this summer.

Bats227TC.jpg

Such a sweet book. I think there will be some buyers turned off by the YL, but there are probably some people even willing to pay more for a sig book. Personally, I would never buy a signed high grade classic.

It is sad someone would do this to a ped copy. Probably just did it for the potential dollars too, which makes it even sadder.

Guys give your heads a shake. I guess you wouldn't buy a Monet or a Cezanne because(shudder) it's signed by the artist.

Cheers, Howard

Bats227TC.jpg

Guys give your heads a shake. I guess you wouldn't buy a Monet or a Cezanne because(shudder) it's signed by the artist.

Cheers, Howard

That's a horrible analogy.

You're comparing two completely different forms of art with distinctively different collectors.

Many people, especially the old school collector, who collect bronze and silver age books would consider signatures on the cover like many people view vandalism/graffiti on the side of someone's fence or on a garage door.

What if someone had a Picasso, then many years later got Picasso to sign his name across the front of it. I guarantee it would have many art collectors ripping out their hair and questioning the sanity of all who were involved.

Picasso signed a lot of his originals. Personally, I like SS books as long as the sig is unobtrusive. I have a CGC SS 9.4 white Bat 232 signed by Adams and Giordano. They are well placed. O'Neil didn't sign it and I wouldn't seek to have him sign it. His signature looks like a barbed wire sample.

I guess I'm on of those freaks who doesn't mind arrival dates on golden age books as well. I think they add to the provenance when they are that old. I understand why some collectors don't want their books signed, particularly keys, but I have no problem with it at all. It's like having two hobbies in one. And the nice thing is, we always have the opportunity to buy an unsigned copy of the same books, too. I posted a copy of my Bat 227 earlier in this thread. I'd have no problem having Adams sign it.

The difference is between signing the work as part of the work, upon its completion...versus signing it afterward, when it's just slapped on as a random autograph. I like the Adams covers I have that include his signature...placed appropriately as part of the original drawing.

Scrawled on it later? Not on a 9.8 key.

Picasso signed a lot of his originals. Personally, I like SS books as long as the sig is unobtrusive. I have a CGC SS 9.4 white Bat 232 signed by Adams and Giordano. They are well placed. O'Neil didn't sign it and I wouldn't seek to have him sign it. His signature looks like a barbed wire sample.

I guess I'm on of those freaks who doesn't mind arrival dates on golden age books as well. I think they add to the provenance when they are that old. I understand why some collectors don't want their books signed, particularly keys, but I have no problem with it at all. It's like having two hobbies in one. And the nice thing is, we always have the opportunity to buy an unsigned copy of the same books, too. I posted a copy of my Bat 227 earlier in this thread. I'd have no problem having Adams sign it.

I like arrival dates on books too. But I like them because it is part of the genuine provenance of the book. It places the collectible in its historical context and adds some depth to the story of the item.

For pedigree books especially there is a unique and rare history behind the collection, for someone to come along at a later stage and alter the books defiles that history to me. It is disingenuous, a post fact alteration of a rare item to try and increase its rarity and hence dollar value.