• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

In-Laws gave me eBay gift certificates for Christmas and I have been waiting to find just the right purchase. I wanted to buy something I would love but would be outside of my normal collecting focus. :grin:

Nice book! :applause:

My in-laws always buy me Archie stuff... it's sweet of them, but it's always like a sheet of Archie stamps, or the latest "Best Of" printed by Archie Comics or Craig Yoe. Totally appreciated of course, but I'd rather have gift cards to eBay or Metro, or Ha if they did them.

My parents on the other hand still inquire from time to time if there's a certain book they can buy me for a birthday or holiday. Suppose even at 40 I'm still their little kid.

I know what you mean. My family knows my wife and I love Disney so they are always giving us inexpensive Disney themed items like ornaments and the like. Mickey is not my favorite Disney character but in their mind he IS Disney. Still, I appreciate their trying!

My mom would buy me a comic but she is terrified of being ripped off. Its easier to give me a check at birthday and Christmas and then asking what I bought. :)

In-Laws gave me eBay gift certificates for Christmas and I have been waiting to find just the right purchase. I wanted to buy something I would love but would be outside of my normal collecting focus. :grin:

My in-laws always buy me Archie stuff... it's sweet of them, but it's always like a sheet of Archie stamps, or the latest "Best Of" printed by Archie Comics or Craig Yoe. Totally appreciated of course, but I'd rather have gift cards to eBay or Metro, or Ha if they did them.

My parents on the other hand still inquire from time to time if there's a certain book they can buy me for a birthday or holiday. Suppose even at 40 I'm still their little kid.

I know what you mean. My family knows my wife and I love Disney so they are always giving us inexpensive Disney themed items like ornaments and the like. Mickey is not my favorite Disney character but in their mind he IS Disney. Still, I appreciate their trying!

My mom would buy me a comic but she is terrified of being ripped off. Its easier to give me a check at birthday and Christmas and then asking what I bought. :)

It's definitely a blessing guys! Here i am , 40+ , and i go to my folks for Christmas to find a wrapped box. I open it, and there was the recently released 'Batman' 60's TV show blu ray boxed set. I can remember the days as a kid when they'd tell me "those things are going to have you grounded in a fantasy world, you read them so much and have so many" lol . Wow how things have turned around.

It's definitely a blessing guys! Here i am , 40+ , and i go to my folks for Christmas to find a wrapped box. I open it, and there was the recently released 'Batman' 60's TV show blu ray boxed set. I can remember the days as a kid when they'd tell me "those things are going to have you grounded in a fantasy world, you read them so much and have so many" lol . Wow how things have turned around.
My step-father would just about cuss whenever he saw me with an "expensive" comic. "Its not art" or "Its not an investment", he'd say. One day, determined to teach me a lesson about art, he took me to a local museum. We walk in the door and we are greeted by a huge Superman banner proclaiming Supeman week at the museum. Not only did they have origional artwork they also had some Superman comics with placards describing their value over the last 20 years. Poor guy. He walked around the museum for the next two hours with a bemused smile and muttering to himself. He never did criticize comics in quite same way ever again. :) I miss that guy. :(

My step-father would just about cuss whenever he saw me with an "expensive" comic. "Its not art" or "Its not an investment", he'd say. One day, determined to teach me a lesson about art, he took me to a local museum. We walk in the door and we are greeted by a huge Superman banner proclaiming Supeman week at the museum. Not only did they have origional artwork they also had some Superman comics with placards describing their value over the last 20 years. Poor guy. He walked around the museum for the next two hours with a bemused smile and muttering to himself. He never did criticize comics in quite same way ever again. :) I miss that guy. :(
:applause: Great story, love it! Yes, the tides are turning in our favor. Heck, I'm even warming to the term 'geek', which I used to loath. lol

Reminds me of my grandfather (mom's side) who lived with us when I was a teen. He had worked incredibly hard his entire life and, while he made his money and the money that pretty much raised us all in the market, he believed in real tangibles like real estate, and brick and mortar shops with products people needed to buy. He'd always ask what I spent on x or y, and the response was always the same... he'd either wave his hand and say "aww, you kids are nuts" or tell me that my problem was that I didn't understand the value of a dollar. He was right of course, I didn't. I lived like I was independently wealthy, but I didn't really understand that till after he was gone. Nevertheless, I was determined to make sure he knew that I wasn't wasting my money, and I finally got my chance. I had become friendly with Scott Fulop, Paul Castiglia and Dan Parent (he'd actually just started there), after a few trips to Mamaroneck, and one day I got a phone call from Vic Gorelick telling me that Scott had given him my name. They were putting together the Americana Series, Best of the 40s, and they were looking for certain issues to use for the reproduction. Not sure if you guys know this, but there was something that happened back in the day in an Archie warehouse that destroyed a lot of their library of early issues... fire, water, not sure. Anyway, they needed an Archie 1 and an Archie 7, and while I wasn't ready to part with the former, I had two copies of the latter. I wound up selling the 7 to them for like $300. I'd paid maybe $50 for it. Far from a windfall, but 6x what I spent, and more than enough to make my case. Pretty sure after I told my grandfather and walked away I could hear him mumble, "they must be nuts!" but he didn't give me as much grief after that. Miss you pop-pop! :angel:

Also got this in the mail out of it ...

Americana2_zpsd47b71d7.jpeg

Edited by GoldenPRGuy

Archie50_front_cgc_zpsbcdb4d8e.jpg

Great cover! I just picked up a 3.5 copy that a dealer had priced at $67 at a convention, no brainer there!

Reminds me of my grandfather (mom's side) who lived with us when I was a teen. He had worked incredibly hard his entire life and, while he made his money and the money that pretty much raised us all in the market, he believed in real tangibles like real estate, and brick and motor shops with products people needed to buy. He'd always ask what I spent on x or y, and the response was always the same... he'd either wave his hand and say "aww, you kids are nuts" or tell me that my problem was that I didn't understand the value of a dollar. He was right of course, I didn't. I lived like I was independently wealthy, but I didn't really understand that till after he was gone. Nevertheless, I was determined to make sure he knew that I wasn't wasting my money, and I finally got my chance. I had become friendly with Scott Fulop, Paul Castiglia and Dan Parent (he'd actually just started there), after a few trips to Mamaroneck, and one day I got a phone call from Vic Gorelick telling me that Scott had given him my name. They were putting together the Americana Series, Best of the 40s, and they were looking for certain issues to use for the reproduction. Not sure if you guys know this, but there was something that happened back in the day in an Archie warehouse that destroyed a lot of their library of early issues... fire, water, not sure. Anyway, they needed an Archie 1 and an Archie 7, and while I wasn't ready to part with the former, I had two copies of the latter. I wound up selling the 7 to them for like $300. I'd paid maybe $50 for it. Far from a windfall, but 6x what I spent, and more than enough to make my case. Pretty sure after I told my grandfather and walked away I could hear him mumble, "they must be nuts!" but he didn't give me as much grief after that. Miss you pop-pop! :angel:

another great story, thanks for sharing! Wow, nice cherry on top from the Archie folks for your contribution. Didn't know about the warehouse situation, always find out something new here.

Reminds me of my grandfather (mom's side) who lived with us when I was a teen. He had worked incredibly hard his entire life and, while he made his money and the money that pretty much raised us all in the market, he believed in real tangibles like real estate, and brick and motor shops with products people needed to buy. He'd always ask what I spent on x or y, and the response was always the same... he'd either wave his hand and say "aww, you kids are nuts" or tell me that my problem was that I didn't understand the value of a dollar. He was right of course, I didn't. I lived like I was independently wealthy, but I didn't really understand that till after he was gone. Nevertheless, I was determined to make sure he knew that I wasn't wasting my money, and I finally got my chance. I had become friendly with Scott Fulop, Paul Castiglia and Dan Parent (he'd actually just started there), after a few trips to Mamaroneck, and one day I got a phone call from Vic Gorelick telling me that Scott had given him my name. They were putting together the Americana Series, Best of the 40s, and they were looking for certain issues to use for the reproduction. Not sure if you guys know this, but there was something that happened back in the day in an Archie warehouse that destroyed a lot of their library of early issues... fire, water, not sure. Anyway, they needed an Archie 1 and an Archie 7, and while I wasn't ready to part with the former, I had two copies of the latter. I wound up selling the 7 to them for like $300. I'd paid maybe $50 for it. Far from a windfall, but 6x what I spent, and more than enough to make my case. Pretty sure after I told my grandfather and walked away I could hear him mumble, "they must be nuts!" but he didn't give me as much grief after that. Miss you pop-pop! :angel:

another great story, thanks for sharing! Wow, nice cherry on top from the Archie folks for your contribution. Didn't know about the warehouse situation, always find out something new here.

That's an incredible momento! Thanks for sharing it.

Reminds me of my grandfather (mom's side) who lived with us when I was a teen. He had worked incredibly hard his entire life and, while he made his money and the money that pretty much raised us all in the market, he believed in real tangibles like real estate, and brick and mortar shops with products people needed to buy. He'd always ask what I spent on x or y, and the response was always the same... he'd either wave his hand and say "aww, you kids are nuts" or tell me that my problem was that I didn't understand the value of a dollar. He was right of course, I didn't. I lived like I was independently wealthy, but I didn't really understand that till after he was gone. Nevertheless, I was determined to make sure he knew that I wasn't wasting my money, and I finally got my chance. I had become friendly with Scott Fulop, Paul Castiglia and Dan Parent (he'd actually just started there), after a few trips to Mamaroneck, and one day I got a phone call from Vic Gorelick telling me that Scott had given him my name. They were putting together the Americana Series, Best of the 40s, and they were looking for certain issues to use for the reproduction. Not sure if you guys know this, but there was something that happened back in the day in an Archie warehouse that destroyed a lot of their library of early issues... fire, water, not sure. Anyway, they needed an Archie 1 and an Archie 7, and while I wasn't ready to part with the former, I had two copies of the latter. I wound up selling the 7 to them for like $300. I'd paid maybe $50 for it. Far from a windfall, but 6x what I spent, and more than enough to make my case. Pretty sure after I told my grandfather and walked away I could hear him mumble, "they must be nuts!" but he didn't give me as much grief after that. Miss you pop-pop! :angel:

That is a great story and what a bunch of nice people to send you a signed copy. :applause:

Archie50_front_cgc_zpsbcdb4d8e.jpg

Great cover! I just picked up a 3.5 copy that a dealer had priced at $67 at a convention, no brainer there!

Wow. My luck at conventions is usually to find a book I've been looking for but at double what I want to pay. :(

I usually buy it anyway! :whee:

Fantastic #9 Andrew, I wonder what grade this would pull. The CGC census shows an 8.0 as the highest and then a 6.5 as second highest. You think this would fall between those two?

Archie9_zpsd3b86bdf.jpg

Todd, I thought you might like to know that I finally sent this one down to CGC last month and as you suspected it did in fact fall between the two for the second highest grade. Universal 7.0 OW/W.

Fantastic #9 Andrew, I wonder what grade this would pull. The CGC census shows an 8.0 as the highest and then a 6.5 as second highest. You think this would fall between those two?

Archie9_zpsd3b86bdf.jpg

Todd, I thought you might like to know that I finally sent this one down to CGC last month and as you suspected it did in fact fall between the two for the second highest grade. Universal 7.0 OW/W.

nice

Haha. Oh yeah sure... you can have a 10% original owner discount, but you might find the new price to be a bit exorbitant. ;)

Honestly, I don't have the foggiest who I've bought all 10k of my Archie/MLJs from, but I'm pretty sure that I got that Archie #9 back in 1998. If you were selling back then, anything is possible.

I was selling on ebay in '98! Not sure why I sold then but the reason I feel it was mine is because the 3-20 I have (had) all have that star on them. Don't think I graded it that high. My thinking was with the mis-cut cover it was closer to a VG. Live and learn.

Edited by ThothAmon

Thread Bump. I was able to pick this up on CC tonight. A special thanks goes out to GoldenPRGuy (Andrew) for supplying a lot of Archie wisdom along the way in my quest to pick up a copy of Archie #2.

<a  href=Archie%202%20FC_zpsilqgolb6.jpg' alt='Ar