• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

I believe the official announcement on the Disney/SW acquisition was the fall of 2012, Octoberish perhaps. So that left several months, all of 2013 and some of 2014 before prices even started upticking. Could have definitely hoarded a stock pile with the full fledged knowledge that a brand new movie was coming 3-4 years out from that point in time.

In a related matter, I noticed that on the day or after the $100M valiant investment/development announcement hit, some person(s) went on ebay and BIN'd all the Harbinger #1 CGC 9.8 listings for $350ish each. That could turn out to be a big score.

There is something to be said about timing and speculation. In hindsight it was really not even a stretch to draw the conclusion in late 2012 that with a new SW movie coming out several years from now, the prices of the original SW BA #1 release would probably be selling for a higher price point.

I'm seriously impressed with the steam that this book has picked up.

When I just took a look at Ebay completed auctions and started seeing beaters like the following auction, I really wonder where the ceiling is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-First-Print-1977-/221710413407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339ef86e5f&nma=true&si=dHx9BjYcEj%252FJkUOPt58UEdJZ51o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

We still have 3/4+ of the year until the movie even comes out.

When I just took a look at Ebay completed auctions and started seeing beaters like the following auction, I really wonder where the ceiling is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-First-Print-1977-/221710413407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339ef86e5f&nma=true&si=dHx9BjYcEj%252FJkUOPt58UEdJZ51o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Are the same 2 "shill" bidders bidding on all these Star Wars #1s?

:baiting:

Are the same 2 "shill" bidders bidding on all these Star Wars #1s?

:baiting:

lol No. Once the book started to barely break $1500 in non-shilled auctions (and even less on these boards) everyone went to "plan b" ebay BIN's. And the legitimacy of those is nearly impossible to verify. (thumbs u

-J.

Multiples are often 2X per increment at 9.4 and up.....which is why many people are more than happy with a tight 9.4 ......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Multiples are often 2X per increment at 9.4 and up.....which is why many people are more than happy with a tight 9.4 ......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I can't think of another comic that goes for $1,500+ for a 9.8 but only $300 for a 9.4.

Some books, like IH 181, have a big gap between a 9.6 and a 9.8, but not a 9.4 and a 9.6. That I can recall anyway...

Unfortunately, it is the same guy. The same person that paid over $1,800 for #1 originally (twice) is now leading this auction.

Someone posted the entire run of Star Wars (almost) in 9.8 on eBay.

I needed 26 issues they listed and I put in solid bids for all of them. This same bidder is now outbidding me for 12 or 13 of those issues.

All are being sold from the same seller (including the #1).

He is also setting a very high price for issue #33 (low census). A 9.6 now over $200.00 bid. It is not even a 9.8. I know someone who needs it to complete a 9.6 run and is equally frustrated.

I have stopped bidding on auctions when this guy shows up.

Unfortunately, it is the same guy. The same person that paid over $1,800 for #1 originally (twice) is now leading this auction.

I needed 26 issues they listed and I put in solid bids for all of them. This same bidder is now outbidding me for 12 or 13 of those issues.

He is also setting a very high price for issue #33 (low census). A 9.6 now over $200.00 bid. It is not even a 9.8. I know someone who needs it to complete a 9.6 run and is equally frustrated.

How can I get him to bid on my listings? :idea:

Seriously, though, I wonder if this is that guy from Florida that built a climate controlled storage area from his books. Back in the early 00s it was manna when he started bidding on your raw or graded books. It was guaranteed new record high prices when he did.

Edited by kimik

How can I get him to bid on my listings? :idea:

Seriously, though, I wonder if this is that guy from Florida that built a climate controlled storage area from his books. Back in the early 00s it was manna when he started bidding on your raw or graded books. It was guaranteed new record high prices when he did.

I remember that guy, he'd always want the cgc sleeve to be upside down and taped. I sold a ton to that guy, and he'd have 100+pages of books purchased every week. Nuts.

The kool-aid is strong with this one.

Yeesh - I can barely see through the clouds of hype around here. *NEWSFLASH* - this book wasn't discovered yesterday. I remember seeing this book on a dealer wall at my first convention in 1985, with a price tag of $8. Even then, at the age of 10, I was already aware of how incredibly common this book was. It's not rare, it's never been rare, it will never be rare. And Star Wars has been popular for almost 40 years now, and this has *ALWAYS* been reflected in the price of this book. And yet, the book almost triples in "value" over the last six months...? Does that seem reasonable?

:gossip: $2500 closing on Comiclink tonight.

KEEP THE HITS COMING BRO :sumo:

Instead of complaining we should all be cashing in for the high grade silver and golden age we really want!

all these new investors are buying the grade and not the book. cash in I say while the anvil is hot.

Disney, Marvel, and Fox are firing on all cylinders right now.

This is a dream come true for most of us, honestly. 15 years ago I would have said comics were dying and the only ones worth keeping were SIlver Age keys, Golden Age, and Hulk 181 but times have surely changed!!!

dealers are seriously buying copper again??? hell has frozen over!

Star Wars #1 and Ms Marvel #1 are no longer $10 books that collect dust on the bargain wall!!

Folks are asking for 90's Valiant again?? whaaa??

The kool-aid is strong with this one.

Yeesh - I can barely see through the clouds of hype around here. *NEWSFLASH* - this book wasn't discovered yesterday. I remember seeing this book on a dealer wall at my first convention in 1985, with a price tag of $8. Even then, at the age of 10, I was already aware of how incredibly common this book was. It's not rare, it's never been rare, it will never be rare. And Star Wars has been popular for almost 40 years now, and this has *ALWAYS* been reflected in the price of this book. And yet, the book almost triples in "value" over the last six months...? Does that seem reasonable?

:gossip: $2500 closing on Comiclink tonight.

KEEP THE HITS COMING BRO :sumo:

Looks like somebody got caught with their pants down on that one. Reminds me of that time someone allegedly paid over $3000 for a walking dead #1 in a heritage auction when there were copies readily available even on ebay for $1,000 less.

Caveat emptor on this book.

-J.

Most of the 9.8's still have at least some, if not a lot, of white showing from the spine. The CLink copy was one of the few I've seen come up in the last few months that didn't show any white, so I assumed the buyer was willing to pay a premium for that as I would have as well. With that being said, I was pretty shocked when I saw the final price.

I'm curious how many are up for sale at Celebration this weekend and what people are asking/getting, especially since they debuted the new trailer yesterday. Don't doubt that there's still plenty of build-up to come in the next few months. Once we start heading into the holiday season, it will be nuts. I wouldn't pass judgement on any prices until next year when prices stabilize and we see where the bar will reset. $2k could be the new standard and anyone who keeps an eye on the vintage figures knows there is plenty of big money playing in the Star Wars sandbox.