• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL THINGS COMICS OR TRIM JOB CENTRAL?
1 1

196 posts in this topic

This whole thread is a big yawner. Look at the feedback this guy gets and the very satisfied customers. Frankly this is all that matters. Who cares if the books are trimmed or has some colour touch. I can understand your personal preference to not buy them but to go off and say this is defiling a book is ludicrous. It's a comic for goodness sake not the Bible etc. You can keep it pristine, cut out panels for a scrapbook hang the centre page up on the wall even trim the edges. It's all good. It's your book. And if people are willing to pay big bucks knowing the perceived faults who are we really to judge. Even if those faults are done to improve appearance. There is no deception here as far as I can see.

Too many folks on this forum like getting on way too high a horse for their own good.

Just relax.

Cheers, Howard

Howard, these guys buy knowingly restored books, crack them out and then fraudulently list them as unrestored. And the wall of evidence is huge.

Take if from a fellow Canuck, they ain't innocent.

This! Their unscrupulous actions are costing others lots of money through deceit. That is unjustifiable.

Who cares if the books are trimmed or has some colour touch.

I just logged on and right off the bat I find one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted.

Who cares if the books are trimmed or has some colour touch.

I just logged on and right off the bat I find one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted.

I went looking for some context that changed the meaning of that statement in his post, and found none.

:(

-slym

I guess I'll ask... everyone is up in arms about this, and rightly so - some of the images of these books is distressing - but if the industry decided to deduct huge points on the grading scale when they detect a trim, what about other modifications? Is color touch open to this new scale? What about glue or tape? Or do many of you just feel so strongly about trimming because it takes away from what was originally there? I could understand that, but I still think it would be inconsistent.

On the other side of this.. there are a good number of people out there collecting purples - I have to wonder how they feel about this sort of talk.

That's fair. I think people feel so strongly because this is the perfect storm of 'some insufficiently_thoughtful_person out there who is actively trimming nice books RIGHT NOW', and 'literally the worst trim jobs anyone has ever seen at any time anywhere'.

There is some precedent here though. After years of complaining and pressure, CGC ended up changing their stance on tape so that books were not given grade bumps for having the spines taped up. It would be ideal if the same thing happened with extreme trim jobs like these, closing the current grading company loophole (where no matter how much material is hacked off a book, it can still show up in a slab with a 9.4 in the upper left).

It is almost worth experimenting, to see just how much of a book can be trimmed away and still receive a CGC 9.4 label. It is in my opinion a completely legitimate question.

Anyone game to try?

Try trimming off 1 inch all around, if you get a CGC 9.4 with "slight" restoration then try to trim off 2 inches all around, then 3 inches. At what point of complete comic loss is it considered extensive :P