• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Total Existing Copies of AF #15
2 2

Guesstimated total existing copies of Amazing Fantasy #15  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Guesstimated total existing copies of Amazing Fantasy #15

485 posts in this topic

Unless they find a warehouse of AF 15's this book is not going down in any of our lifetimes.

There is too much demand and even if the census doubled tomorrow the supply worldwide would drink the AF 15 milkshake right up. I agree there are some nice copies either still in collections of hobbyists who haven't/nor wanted to get their copy/copies graded or original owner collections that have them, however there is a line of collectors who will gladly pony up right away. The number of tickets waiting to buy AF15's is a long line which is my point.

The fact of the matter is dealers can't even find them anymore when they are even trying to buy them at full retail.

Obviously not a rare book, but the Chicago Cubs will win a World Series quicker than an affordable AF 15 will be showing up before you.

The longer you wait the more cash you will have to spend. The 3rd most important comic book of all time has no downside.

Famous last words.

:cloud9:

If Af 15's go down then the hobby is obviously dead as well.

Unless they find a warehouse of AF 15's this book is not going down in any of our lifetimes.

There is too much demand and even if the census doubled tomorrow the supply worldwide would drink the AF 15 milkshake right up. I agree there are some nice copies either still in collections of hobbyists who haven't/nor wanted to get their copy/copies graded or original owner collections that have them, however there is a line of collectors who will gladly pony up right away. The number of tickets waiting to buy AF15's is a long line which is my point.

The fact of the matter is dealers can't even find them anymore when they are even trying to buy them at full retail.

Obviously not a rare book, but the Chicago Cubs will win a World Series quicker than an affordable AF 15 will be showing up before you.

The longer you wait the more cash you will have to spend. The 3rd most important comic book of all time has no downside.

Famous last words.

That makes sense to me, most desirable book for me since i cant afford the other 2 top books

There very likely will be temp/short term price stagnation or even declination. We've seen it several times already in the past dozen years where prices of af15 across the board have fallen upto 25%+ for short periods (in 2010 I was buying 5.0 for 7500-9k that had pushed 10k the year before). In 2003 same thing. 4.0s had hit 3k then dipped to low 2s as an example.

But once the market "corrects" itself it is generally a steady climb back up, and overall seems to be 2 steps forward and maybe 1 step back (or stagnation) as a general rule

what about if you are sitting on 60 copies, at least 2 or 3 are 9.0++

you know what you do, you enjoy them in their raw state with no desire to slab or sell...at least that's what one collector is doing...

I almost started a poll asking about the largest non-dealer stashes of AF 15 that people know about. 60 is pretty impressive. :headbang:

Wonder if there are any 100+ copy stashes out there. hm

I know Brad Savage used to go around buying up Avengers 4s in the day (I think we probably sold him 15-20 copies at Chicago con in the early 90s)... wouldn't be surprised if he had hundreds of copies at one point. Wouldn't be a shock if people did that for AF 15.

Famous last words.

Speaking of "long lines", there are, as I type, 25 copies of Fantasy #15, in various flavors, on eBay alone. If there were people in line to buy them, why would so many copies be available for sale?

That there are lots of people who would pay "for the right price" or "if they had the money", but that doesn't really count, does it...? I would buy one for the right price. Am I "in line" to buy one? No.

There are long lines for Fantastic Comics #3. There are plenty of people in line for a copy of that book....any copy.

And there have been times...hard though it may seem...that even the "third most important comic" has gone down in demand, and therefore value.

you know what you do, you enjoy them in their raw state with no desire to slab or sell...at least that's what one collector is doing...

I almost started a poll asking about the largest non-dealer stashes of AF 15 that people know about. 60 is pretty impressive. :headbang:

I know Brad Savage used to go around buying up Avengers 4s in the day (I think we probably sold him 15-20 copies at Chicago con in the early 90s)... wouldn't be surprised if he had hundreds of copies at one point. Wouldn't be a shock if people did that for AF 15.

I have over a hundred copies of certain books. It's certainly not an uncommon thing, especially if you don't have a lot of money tied up in them.

60 is pretty impressive. :headbang:

It is also a little crazy. On the low end that is over $100K in books and on the high end it could easily be over a million. That is just stupid money to be sitting around in a box. I mean how much cash do you have to have to not care about a million dollars just sitting around?

You would be better off with a money bin to swim in. At least that has security systems to protect from the Beagle Boys!

???

I have over a hundred copies of certain books. It's certainly not an uncommon thing, especially if you don't have a lot of money tied up in them.

Which books?

Is this OCD or speculation?

Which books?

Certain ones.

Is this OCD or speculation?

Yes.

Famous last words.

Speaking of "long lines", there are, as I type, 25 copies of Fantasy #15, in various flavors, on eBay alone. If there were people in line to buy them, why would so many copies be available for sale?

That there are lots of people who would pay "for the right price" or "if they had the money", but that doesn't really count, does it...? I would buy one for the right price. Am I "in line" to buy one? No.

There are long lines for Fantastic Comics #3. There are plenty of people in line for a copy of that book....any copy.

And there have been times...hard though it may seem...that even the "third most important comic" has gone down in demand, and therefore value.

I don't believe in comic books as an "investment". But AF 15 still has another solid decade of growth in front of it. Easy.

-J.

It is also a little crazy. On the low end that is over $100K in books and on the high end it could easily be over a million. That is just stupid money to be sitting around in a box. I mean how much cash do you have to have to not care about a million dollars just sitting around?

You would be better off with a money bin to swim in. At least that has security systems to protect from the Beagle Boys!

???

What is a million dollars to people who have hundreds of millions? And what's a million dollars to someone who paid 10-12-15-25-50 cents each for them, as some did?

There are people with coin collections with multiple individual coins worth over a million.

Here's a registry set worth over a million dollars:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=67641&Ranking=ngc

Here's a set with at least one million+ coin (1927-D), and several hundred thousand dollar coins:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=169198&Ranking=all

It's all relative.

Famous last words.

I don't believe in comic books as an "investment". But AF 15 still has another solid decade of growth in front of it. Easy.

-J.

Why is it easy to say that AF #15 has another ten years of growth, and what stops that "solid" growth after that decade?

Famous last words.

-J.

Why is it easy to say that AF #15 has another ten years of growth, and what stops that "solid" growth after that decade?

I'm not a psychic. Just call it an educated hunch. ;)

-J.

???

trust me, a million means nothing in the financial scheme, to this individual (thumbs u

???

trust me, a million means nothing in the financial scheme, to this individual (thumbs u

That actually makes it a little more bizarre to me. I can understand hoarding them as part of a retirement portfolio, but if they mean that little investment wise, then it's just OCD. As someone who generally finds owning more than one copy of a book redundant, I've never quite understood the hoarding compulsion.

???

That actually makes it a little more bizarre to me. I can understand hoarding them as part of a retirement portfolio, but if they mean that little investment wise, then it's just OCD. As someone who generally finds owning more than one copy of a book redundant, I've never quite understood the hoarding compulsion.

its a disease....trust me....

Famous last words.

The ones on eBay are only Buy it Nows with well over market value asking prices.

Just because there is a line to buy them doesn't mean people who have 1% of a brain are going pay 5.0 money for a 2.5 copy. :baiting:

Dealers can't keep them in stock. They come in and sell very quickly.

I'm really impressed with this book. Even with the high number of supply meeting demand, this book continually sores in price every year. I really don't see an end to this in the coming years unless the whole comic book market crashes. This is the book that started my collecting buzz and helped me become the comic book collector I am today.

Famous last words.

The ones on eBay are only Buy it Nows with well over market value asking prices.

Just because there is a line to buy them doesn't mean people who have 1% of a brain are going pay 5.0 money for a 2.5 copy. :baiting:

Dealers can't keep them in stock. They come in and sell very quickly.

That illustrates the point. Price IS a factor that is preventing these "long lines" of people from buying one. If the price was ever spiraling upwards, what is "5.0 money" today would be 2.5 money in time, right...?

The point, of course, is that there IS price resistance, which means the people lining up to buy them aren't willing to do so "at any price", which would tell you isn't *as* desirable as some may believe.

And who are the people buying them? Are they people who want them because they want them? Are they people who want them because they believe they are good investments? Are they people looking to flip them?

I would like one for myself, but they are far beyond what I think is reasonable to pay, in any grade. If one comes along that is substantially under current market, obviously I'm going to buy it....but not to keep. And I am part of that "base of demand" which will keep the value of an item above a certain level...but that base is always changing, and never as solid as one might think.