• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

16507540117_128802451b_b.jpg

Thanks for the photos, BB. :applause:

Do you know if the Silly Symphony comic strip has ever been collected and reprinted in book form?

16535599838_6c2fab1b93_o.jpg

Some of the stories were reprinted in the Abbeville Best Comics Series. I don't have my copy at hand but the War with the Flies should be in there according to the GCD.

Great reads! Thanks BZ.

Bucky Bug was great, especially the series about the Great War!

I've never heard of that, but it sounds interesting. (shrug)

I think he is talking about the War with the Flies with Bucky Bug. It was reprinted in WDCS 23 and 25.

This is one of the most remarkable and overlooked Disney stories ever. It was a shame that Earl Duvall left the studio so early as this story, which I believe is from 1932, is right up there with Barks' and Gottfredson's longer adventures.

November 1934

completenov1934.jpg

Cover by Tom Lovell

Thanks for those (and the further Pete Rice from the other day).

From the title and association with The Popular, are we to assume that these were originally published as serials elsewhere and are collected in one volume here?

Somewhat reminded me of the Five-Novels series by Clayton -

Five-Novels-March1942_zps1joc2289.jpg

From the title and association with The Popular, are we to assume that these were originally published as serials elsewhere and are collected in one volume here?

As far as I know, Complete Stories never published reprints.

Complete began using the Popular logo on its cover only after The Popular Magazine ceased being published. The October, 1931 issue was its last.

Starting with the October 15th issue, Complete used the conjoined title for 7 months before returning to its original name.

Somewhat reminded me of the Five-Novels series by Clayton -

Speaking of Five-Novels.

Here is a look at a L. Ron Hubbard story that was printed in the January, 1936 issue.

The Sky-Crasher

theskycrasher.jpg

Great reads! Thanks BZ.

Bucky Bug was great, especially the series about the Great War!

I've never heard of that, but it sounds interesting. (shrug)

I think he is talking about the War with the Flies with Bucky Bug. It was reprinted in WDCS 23 and 25.

This is one of the most remarkable and overlooked Disney stories ever. It was a shame that Earl Duvall left the studio so early as this story, which I believe is from 1932, is right up there with Barks' and Gottfredson's longer adventures.

For those with an interest, here is Duvall's Wikipedia biography:

Earl Duvall (April 2, 1898 – January 7, 1969) was an American artist and animator best known for his work on Walt Disney comic strips in the early 1930s and for a handful of animated cartoon short subjects he directed at Warner Bros. Cartoons.

Career

Disney Studio

Duvall started as a layout artist and later as a member of the story department at Walt Disney Productions. During this time, he also worked as a cartoonist on Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies newspaper strips.[2] Duvall was periodically an inker for Floyd Gottfredson on the newspaper version of the Mickey Mouse daily edition comic strip in 1930-1932.[3][4] He also drew and wrote the Silly Symphonies comic strip Bucky Bug for Walt Disney.[5]

According to Jack Kinney, a director who worked at Disney for many decades, Duvall was a "charming story man" who dressed well and was "the spitting image of the Prince of Wales", but often "lived beyond his means". Duvall left Disney's in rather unusual circumstances - pressed by Disney for several weeks to show his storyboards, Duvall simply gathered his belongings one day and left the company, "leaving Walt holding the bag"

Warner Bros

He was invited to Warner Bros. in 1933 along with fellow Disney animator Tom Palmer to head up the studio in the wake of Hugh Harman and Rudolf Ising's departure. In the event, Duvall was delayed working on other projects at Disney, and by the time he got to Warner Bros. Palmer had already been fired and replaced by Friz Freleng. During his time there, Duvall directed a number of cartoons based around surprisingly adult themes, and was allowed to direct the studio's first color cartoon, Honeymoon Hotel in 1934.

Death

Duvall died in 1969, the same year as the last Looney Tunes cartoon was released.

As far as I know, Complete Stories never published reprints.

Complete began using the Popular logo on its cover only after The Popular Magazine ceased being published. The October, 1931 issue was its last.

Starting with the October 15th issue, Complete used the conjoined title for 7 months before returning to its original name.

Thanks for clarifying that :)