• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

Usually when I post a cover, it's my book. But not in the case of these Nancy's. I'll grab a screen shot whenever I see one. The Youthful book is mine, none of the others. Just wanted to give you a guys a good read on her sig so you'll grab one if you see one. I'd be happy to reimburse - any book, any condition.

I've done a cursory search on her name in conjunction with various combos of "comics", "romance" etc - nothing came back I can get traction with. If alive, she'd be in her 80's I would think.

I don't care what grade I get. I just want to "Hold " and turn his pages...

I wonder if that dialog balloon is one of the reasons the issue is so scarce. Even in the innocent 1950s, that one would have been noticed! :D

I could be wrong, but I don't think that meaning/usage of that word existed back then. I think that meaning of that word came into usage quite a bit later than the 1950s. Any one else think so as well, or think otherwise?

Usually when I post a cover, it's my book. But not in the case of these Nancy's. I'll grab a screen shot whenever I see one. The Youthful book is mine, none of the others. Just wanted to give you a guys a good read on her sig so you'll grab one if you see one. I'd be happy to reimburse - any book, any condition.

I've done a cursory search on her name in conjunction with various combos of "comics", "romance" etc - nothing came back I can get traction with. If alive, she'd be in her 80's I would think.

Wow, it would be amazing if you actually found her!!! :o

I wonder if that dialog balloon is one of the reasons the issue is so scarce. Even in the innocent 1950s, that one would have been noticed! :D

I could be wrong, but I don't think that meaning/usage of that word existed back then. I think that meaning of that word came into usage quite a bit later than the 1950s. Any one else think so as well, or think otherwise?

I'm with you that most of the double entendre meanings we see in covers and dialog are modern readings that weren't intended by the artists and writers. For instance, until comparatively recently "boner" was a common slang term for a mistake. "Making love" was not (or, at any rate, not only) a euphemism for having sex.

Similarly, the Rifleman 10 cover surely wasn't intended to have the meaning we see in it.

I was thinking, though, that the dialog on the TAR 9 cover might have been meant as a sly wink to knowing (teenage) readers. That reading does depend on when d*i*c*k became a slang term for p*e*n*i*s. Somehow I thought that meaning went back to Shakespeare's day, but maybe not.

Edited by Sqeggs

You're probably right about the innocent era of the 1950s. I mean D-i-c-k Tracy had plenty of "He's a d-i-c-k"-type dialogue in the 1930s strips. That being said, the "Did I give my lips too freely?" blurb just adds to the modern humor. A killer book.

I'm with you that most of the double entendre meanings we see in covers and dialog are modern readings that weren't intended by the artists and writers. For instance, until comparatively recently "boner" was a common slang term for a mistake. "Making love" was not (or, at any rate, not only) a euphemism for having sex.

Similarly, the Rifleman 10 cover surely wasn't intended to have the meaning we see in it.

I was thinking, though, that the dialog on the TAR 9 cover might have been meant as a sly wink to knowing (teenage) readers. That reading does depend on when d*i*c*k became a slang term for p*e*n*i*s. Somehow I thought that meaning went back to Shakespeare's day, but maybe not.

I was recently told by some one that he took his copy of Rifleman #10 to an autograph show to be signed by the kid (Johnny Crawford?) and he wouldn't sign it. He was embarrased because apparantly this was a deliberate pose set up by the adults and as a child Johnny? wasn't aware of it.

Here's one I don't see every day....it has some production issues but all in all a very respectable copy.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

SWEETHEARTS%201190002.jpg

I was recently told by some one that he took his copy of Rifleman #10 to an autograph show to be signed by the kid (Johnny Crawford?) and he wouldn't sign it. He was embarrased because apparantly this was a deliberate pose set up by the adults and as a child Johnny? wasn't aware of it.

Here's my copy. Every boy should have one. :D

rif149a_zps828c2542.jpg

I'm skeptical of Crawford's story. I think that he is projecting a modern perspective back into the early 1960s when the comic was published. If anyone was likely to viewed the cover the way we are, I don't see how it would gotten past the editorial staff at Dell. Or if it had, how it wouldn't have caused an uproar among parents. (It was a Dell comic after all!) Could have been a career ender for those involved, I would think.

Here's one I don't see every day....it has some production issues but all in all a very respectable copy.... GOD BLESS...

Nice one. One of the better movie star photo covers. Are they in the story?

...supposedly...but I haven't read it yet. Also says some Wood art in OPG.... GOD BLESS...

Here's a couple more..... can't decide to keep or put in inventory.... Both are real nice in the story and art department at first glance.... GOD BLESS...

RANGE%20ROMANCES%2010002.jpg

LOVE%20SCANDALS%2040002.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

Here's my copy. Every boy should have one. :D

rif149a_zps828c2542.jpg

I'm skeptical of Crawford's story. I think that he is projecting a modern perspective back into the early 1960s when the comic was published. If anyone was likely to viewed the cover the way we are, I don't see how it would gotten past the editorial staff at Dell. Or if it had, how it wouldn't have caused an uproar among parents. (It was a Dell comic after all!) Could have been a career ender for those involved, I would think.

+1

Here's a couple more..... can't decide to keep or put in inventory.... Both are real nice in the story and art department at first glance.... GOD BLESS...

RANGE%20ROMANCES%2010002.jpg

LOVE%20SCANDALS%2040002.jpg

Great cover on the Range Romances ...

It's Gustavson .....inside and out. It was kind of pricey, but when I flipped through it I was impressed..... I always liked his GA output and this seems equally inspired...GOD BLESS...

Picked these up at the Williamsburg Film Festival......it's dedicated to old movies with an emphasis on westerns. The fella who played Mark on The Rifleman was there. I also saw a future grail if I can figure out how to afford it next time..... Forbidden Love in the VF range..... but it was 1K....... GOD BLESS...

...supposedly...but I haven't read it yet. Also says some Wood art in OPG.... GOD BLESS...

as you know that's a big big book jimbo - congrats :applause:

nope no stars - great art however, very impressionistic - maybe toth on the second story

.....do you think the Forbidden Love 1 in ballpark VF @ 1K is reasonable ? It's a bit above guide....but it seems like everything I like is..... GOD BLESS...

and btw in honor of your awesome atlas pickup - and I'm talking about the love book here of course! - here's a Steranko quote on Vinnie C

"You should see Vinnie’s romance books—those he penciled and inked—to judge his artistic abilities. He’d knock me out by drawing the most beautiful women—but directly with an ink pen on blank paper, NO PENCILS underneath! Pact with the devil!"

I always thought this was cool run.....even when I didn't know anyone who collected romance. I saw it for the first time at the LCS over 20 years ago when a long time Romance collector decided to sell his collection to Dave..... hundreds of them. GOD BLESS...

FORBIDDEN%20LOVE%2010002.jpg