• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Last but not least, one of the most famous Atlas war covers...

comwar11_zpsh1xivvdj.jpg

That one always reminds me of the Baker flame thrower cover.. Do you have any other Baker war covers?

16104027904_675616449d_c.jpg

Yeah, I have most of the run only for the Baker Canteen Kate stories. The covers (other than this flamethrower cover) are pretty tame. I think I like the War cover is a little better. Black background really makes the flame stand out plus it's a little more detailed and gritty.

I didn't know what to post today but since I'm on a war kick and you guys seem to enjoy them, I'll list the ones I have in my bucket right now.

Here is GI Joe #35. Hot good girl art cover. I like this run and have quite a few of them. They are cheap and not to hard to find. Some of them have Yardbirds stories by Dan DeCarlo as a bonus.

comgijoe35_zpsevaw01eq.jpg

Annother Atlas. Battle Action #5. Great colors and gloss on this one. I believe it is the Church/Mile High copy. I bought it probably 40 years ago from Chuck at the Casual Con he mentions in his Church article. Many of my Church books came this day. I was buying the "cheaper" stuff mostly horror, crime, SOTI stuff. Most people were on the superhero stuff but I have always like the "other stuff" more and I was able to get a lot more books for the buck. It isn't listed as well as the other stuff I got that day on his master list probably because he did the list after this show I'm guessing.

combattlesction5church_zpsaz1xpt0j.jpg

Annother Atlas. Battle Action #5. Great colors and gloss on this one. I believe it is the Church/Mile High copy. I bought it probably 40 years ago from Chuck at the Casual Con he mentions in his Church article. Many of my Church books came this day. I was buying the "cheaper" stuff mostly horror, crime, SOTI stuff. Most people were on the superhero stuff but I have always like the "other stuff" more and I was able to get a lot more books for the buck. It isn't listed as well as the other stuff I got that day on his master list probably because he did the list after this show I'm guessing.

I think rob_react is trying to compile an updated list of Church books. Maybe your purchases from Casual Con could be included.

This one needs no introduction. This is a good short run and all of them are pretty good. I think I have all of them now.

comwarfury1_zpsjygne8xg.jpg

Is this from before or after Horrific #3?

Before.

This one needs no introduction. This is a good short run and all of them are pretty good. I think I have all of them now.

comwarfury1_zpsjygne8xg.jpg

I was going to ask about this one! An all time classic.

Is the interior as good as the cover....thanks

I think rob_react is trying to compile an updated list of Church books. Maybe your purchases from Casual Con could be included.

Yeah maybe. The problem I have is most all of them are later books that are un-marked.They don't have any "smell" that stands out either. Probably because they were probably the later ones that were stored in the basement and not in "the closet". I have them all raw because they are much more enjoyable to me that way. You really can't see the bone white paper ot the intense gloss on some of these inside a slab. There is really something holding one in your hand that you simply miss slabbed... Now I know exactly where and when I got them. They are without a doubt Church copies. The problem is convincing someone else if I ever decided to sell them. How good is the current CGC staff at detecting pedigrees like this? I know they go by the list but it is widely known that Chuck sold a lot before he did the list. These are some of those copies. I know Chuck would be of no help and I could't really blame him after 40 years.

...these early 50's Atlas books are mesmerizing in the eye appeal department if one is lucky enough to find high grade. Church copies must be phenomenal..... I'd like to have just a couple..... but I never ever see the MH Atlas books for sale ....and I would love to know more about what you got then and also what you saw but didn't get. Like.... how much of the collection was he actually lugging around. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That con was a loooong time ago. Here's what I can remember. It was a small local con as we used to have often here. Chuck shows up with many box fulls of the Church books. Might have been his first public saleof them. He was asked why he traveled so far for a small one day show and apparently spilled the beans on his recent find.

I remember seeing a lot of people by his table so I went over to take a look. He had one table full of boxes of books. Guys were very aggressive and hogging boxes. I remember seeing them grabbing a lot of average GA DC's. I was amazed at the condition as I had never seen old books that nice. I moved to the boxes toward the edge of the table. This was mostly late '40's early '50's stuff (my interest at the time). I bought all the censorship books I could find (SOTI ect). I did get a lot of misc stuff like some Avon one shots, Fox books, a couple Atlas war and crime (very little Atlas and no horror books) and other books that just interested me.

I remember guys grumbling that he was charging 2-4 times "guide" but they were so nice we bought them anyway. I spent all the rest of my money (maybe $200) at his table. It kills me now to think of what I had to leave but consider myself lucky to get what I did get. That summer I saw him at San Diego con but by then, the word was out and I didn't get much. To this day, I have rarely seen books so beautiful..

You can read his account (which is pretty accurate) in his Tales from the Database on his web site. It is in section 13 of the Mile High collection installment. I don't think he published his list until after the Casual Con show.

Unfortunately, over the years, I sold and traded a lot of them away. They wern't known as "pedigree" books back then. There are probably quite a few floating around out there that are unknown. One I remember well was The Dead Who Walk oh, I wish I had that one back... Epic day!

Post of the year. :headbang:

That con was a loooong time ago. Here's what I can remember. It was a small local con as we used to have often here. Chuck shows up with many box fulls of the Church books. Might have been his first public saleof them. He was asked why he traveled so far for a small one day show and apparently spilled the beans on his recent find.

I remember seeing a lot of people by his table so I went over to take a look. He had one table full of boxes of books. Guys were very aggressive and hogging boxes. I remember seeing them grabbing a lot of average GA DC's. I was amazed at the condition as I had never seen old books that nice. I moved to the boxes toward the edge of the table. This was mostly late '40's early '50's stuff (my interest at the time). I bought all the censorship books I could find (SOTI ect). I did get a lot of misc stuff like some Avon one shots, Fox books, a couple Atlas war and crime (very little Atlas and no horror books) and other books that just interested me.

I remember guys grumbling that he was charging 2-4 times "guide" but they were so nice we bought them anyway. I spent all the rest of my money (maybe $200) at his table. It kills me now to think of what I had to leave but consider myself lucky to get what I did get. That summer I saw him at San Diego con but by then, the word was out and I didn't get much. To this day, I have rarely seen books so beautiful..

You can read his account (which is pretty accurate) in his Tales from the Database on his web site. It is in section 13 of the Mile High collection installment. I don't think he published his list until after the Casual Con show.

Unfortunately, over the years, I sold and traded a lot of them away. They wern't known as "pedigree" books back then. There are probably quite a few floating around out there that are unknown. One I remember well was The Dead Who Walk oh, I wish I had that one back... Epic day!