• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

With AF#15 and Star Wars #1 we will find that they transcend all generations and have much more universal appeal than GSX1.

I wasn't aware of this recent bump by Star Wars #1, so thanks for turning me onto it. (thumbs u If Star Wars had exhibited this pattern for years I'd agree with its greater potential for wide appeal to GSX1, but an increase around the movie looks like a bubble. Too soon to tell, but we should know in about three years.

The particular reason to think bubble with Star Wars 1 is the population is frigging huge to a degree that makes even GSX1 and Hulk 181 look modest by comparison. There are triple the number of high grade copies of SW1 in the CGC Census, and I don't think that even scratches the surface of what's out there. It's a book that many have not bothered to slab due to its comparatively low price. I think I have three nosebleed copies I never dreamed I'd have a reason to slab until now. hm

Star Wars #1 being more sought after than GSX1.

What makes you say that? Can't imagine it's the case. If you mean the variant issue, that's not popularity, that's an example of extreme rarity creating huge demand for a tiny handful of people.

Check out this thread in the Bronze Age forum.

Star Wars #1 has exploded in value, since the new movie was announced.

Star Wars #1

Of course it has. Why is anyone surprised about this?

What makes you say that? Can't imagine it's the case. If you mean the variant issue, that's not popularity, that's an example of extreme rarity creating huge demand for a tiny handful of people.

Star War #1 is more sought after because it is collected outside of comic collectors. You have Star Wars collectors that don't collect any other comics.

Which proves my point that Star Wars #1 has more universal appeal than GSX1. :acclaim:

GSX1 is a top generational appeal book in that young people/collectors of the 70s and 80s put much more emphasis on it`s importance,than people who grew up in the 60s,90 and now do.

With AF#15 and Star Wars #1 we will find that they transcend all generations and have much more universal appeal than GSX1.

Actually it proves it NOT.

You put up a Star Wars #1 in 9.8 for $1500 and it will SIT. (At least for a few more months)

You put up a legitimate GSX1 in 9.8 for TWICE that - $3000 - and it will sell in a heartbeat.

That's Money where your mouth is popularity.

Star War #1 is more sought after because it is collected outside of comic collectors. You have Star Wars collectors that don't collect any other comics.

Which proves my point that Star Wars #1 has more universal appeal than GSX1. :acclaim:

GSX1 is a top generational appeal book in that young people/collectors of the 70s and 80s put much more emphasis on it`s importance,than people who grew up in the 60s,90 and now do.

You put up a Star Wars #1 in 9.8 for $1500 and it will SIT. (At least for a few more months)

You put up a legitimate GSX1 in 9.8 for TWICE that - $3000 - and it will sell in a heartbeat.

Star Wars 1 CGC 9.8 sells for over $1800 on ebay.

Star Wars 1 CGC 9.8 sells for over $1800 on ebay.

That's one of the auctions that's been called into question for shilling.

Either way, GSX1 sells for more than twice as much as SW1.

Overall do you really think GSX 1 is more popular than Star Wars #1?

How many people got into comics in the 1970s because of Star Wars?

How Star Wars saved the comic book industry in the 1970s.

Star Wars #1 is rising, while GSX #1 is stalled.

In fact GSX #1 will never have a run like Star Wars #1 just had.

It will always be a comic book that was loved by it`s generation of the 70s and 80s. It peaked, and had it`s day in the sun.

I`m not saying it`s a bad book, but I don`t see what would make it crazy popular like Star Wars is now.

What would jumpstart it?

If you want a good X-MEN to invest in choose X-MEN #1 over GSX #1.

X-MEN #1 is the king daddy of all mutant books.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I wasn't aware of this recent bump by Star Wars #1, so thanks for turning me onto it. (thumbs u If Star Wars had exhibited this pattern for years I'd agree with its greater potential for wide appeal to GSX1, but an increase around the movie looks like a bubble. Too soon to tell, but we should know in about three years.

The particular reason to think bubble with Star Wars 1 is the population is frigging huge to a degree that makes even GSX1 and Hulk 181 look modest by comparison. There are triple the number of high grade copies of SW1 in the CGC Census, and I don't think that even scratches the surface of what's out there. It's a book that many have not bothered to slab due to its comparatively low price. I think I have three nosebleed copies I never dreamed I'd have a reason to slab until now. hm

No problem turning you on to it fantastic_four.

It`s amazing how movies are now dictating what's hot and not, so much more than ever.

When Rocket Raccoon,Baymax and Groot action figures started to outsell Spider-man,Wolverine and Batman action figures on Amazon.com that`s when I knew the game had changed on what makes a character popular.

Are people arguing over SW #1 vs GSX #1?

:facepalm:

Let us have our fun nerd/geek discussions. :foryou:

Plus we`re debating, not arguing.

I`m not mad, and I hope no one else would get mad or angry about this debate

because that be so :screwy:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I don't see that as being as silly as it sounds. There will be a lot of SW collectors who aren't even comic collectors wanting SW 1, whereas I cant see non collectors who are fans of the X-Men movies clamoring for GSX 1. SW is a rising star (pun intended). I wouldn't disregard it so lightly.

I'm not mad. This is a debate. Couple of points of interest too. So I'm trying to stay up to date.

:popcorn:

That`s what I do I debate stuff that interests me.

This seemed like a good one. Much more fun than me pontificating about IRAQ and Brian Williams in the water cooler again.

:)

But we miss you down there.

S1VFKt3.gif

I don't see that as being as silly as it sounds. There will be a lot of SW collectors who aren't even comic collectors wanting SW 1, whereas I cant see non collectors who are fans of the X-Men movies clamoring for GSX 1. SW is a rising star (pun intended). I wouldn't disregard it so lightly.

It`s that generation that grew up with GSX 1 and Uncanny X-Men 94 that has this attitude. They can`t fathom that GSX 1 and Uncanny X-Men 94 have lost some importance with the current crowd. :o

That won`t ever admit that Star Wars #1 is a player. To them they`ll always be considered toy/movie comic book tie in, when in fact we know Star Wars #1 has a better future going forward than GSX #1.

At least they will acknowledge Star Wars #1. Good luck with them ever saying anything positive about GI JOE #1 or Transformers #1. :gossip: Toy tie ins.

:fear:

I'm not mad. This is a debate. Couple of points of interest too. So I'm trying to stay up to date.

:popcorn:

That`s what I do I debate stuff that interests me.

This seemed like a good one. Much more fun than me pontificating about IRAQ and Brian Williams in the water cooler again.

:)

But we miss you down there.

S1VFKt3.gif

lol

I`ll be back to talk Cosby and Oscars!

It`s that generation that grew up with GSX 1 and Uncanny X-Men 94 that has this attitude. They can`t fathom that GSX 1 and Uncanny X-Men 94 have lost some importance with the current crowd. :o

That won`t ever admit that Star Wars #1 is a player. To them they`ll always be considered toy/movie comic book tie in, when in fact we know Star Wars #1 has a better future going forward than GSX #1.

At least they will acknowledge Star Wars #1. Good luck with them ever saying anything positive about GI JOE #1 or Transformers #1. :gossip: Toy tie ins.

:fear:

I really don't think SW 1 has a better future going for it, especially long term. Right now It looks that way, but GSX 1 has been an incredibly solid book for such a long time that it's not even fair to compare the two. The way SW 1 has shot up in price recently just reeks of long term instability.

I'll also add that I do think SW 1 is a player. It's just not in the same league as GSX 1.

Markets are determined by supply and demand--can't consider one but not the other. I've never had much doubt about the demand for Star Wars #1--I wanted that book long before I ever wanted any X-Men book--it's just the HUGE supply that makes it a questionable choice from a market perspective. There's just too many of them out there...hard to see the value outlasting movie hype. And the longer the value continues at current levels, the more and more of the raw copies that will get slabbed.

Spectacular Spider-Man is in a similar boat. If not for the HUGE supply, that book would likely be worth 4x what it is. Marvel was cranking out #1s in this time period with huge print runs.

With an X-Men movie coming out next year I would not sell the GSX 1 short just yet. I love the X-Men, but some of the movies, even DOFP, have really let me down. X-Factor 24 & 25 were two of my favorite books growing up. I'm hoping this next flick is the ultimate payoff. I just hope I don't walk away feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick field goals with Lucy.

With an X-Men movie coming out next year I would not sell the GSX 1 short just yet. I love the X-Men, but some of the movies, even DOFP, have really let me down. X-Factor 24 & 25 were two of my favorite books growing up. I'm hoping this next flick is the ultimate payoff. I just hope I don't walk away feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick field goals with Lucy.

We're likely to be past any one movie affecting GSX1 at this point. If the dial on the book hasn't budged much after 15 years of movies, one more isn't likely to do much more to it.

From a value appreciation standpoint, GSX1 and SW1 have something in common--neither is likely to yield much return except MAYBE SW1 over the short term between now and the end of the year when the movie comes out. Lots of better choices on books with similar demand but FAR less supply for anything other than a quick SW1 flip.