• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch my slab collection grow from scratch to BIG $$$ scratch!

292 posts in this topic

No idea what it is, but it looks super badass! haha

Maybe Elric? Looks like Elric!

Yes, it is Elric of Melnibone, Michael Moorcock's creation, drawn by Charles Vess. And it is definitely badass!

Lots going on but no pictures just yet.

I got an X-Factor 5 9.0 slab from a boardie gratis. You see, a few years ago I sent some free art to the nephew of a boardie who was in a bit of a health crisis. Well, Uncle Jason has a good memory and when he saw me start my slab collection he was nice enough to send me that X-Factor! Thanks Jazzno, you need not have done so but I am glad you did.

Then I also got a Spider-Man 9 9.8 (McFarlane series) through the Pay It Forward thread. (I also gave up a Defenders 14 6.0 in that round, so one has left the building!)

Then I managed to trade for a Dr. Strange 169 7.0. My 12 year-old daughter said "nice, it could be a 6.0 or a 5.0!". She is the eternal optimist!

Let's see...what am I forgetting. Oh yeah, I submitted my online order to CGC for the 5 books I am dropping off at the Big Apple Con this weekend. X-Men 266 should be a 9.4 +/- a grade. Let's hope for the 9.4 or even 9.6 but who knows. Then I am also adding 4 relatively wirthless books from my own colelction that I think will be awesome to look at. My Moebius Silver Surfer 1 may not get a great grade but it is mine, so I will take what I get.

As for what the others are, check back in 2 1/2 months. Same slab time, same slab channel.

we'll see griff, we'll see!

In other news, I traded some OA I bought on the cheap recently for a Dr Strange 179 9.0 today at the Big Apple Comic con. That was a real bargain for me and I have had some good success lately flipping art from auctions that I think is undervalued at hammer time. So today I was able to make that work nicely.

I expect to make some more shelf space in the next day or two and will post some pictures of the new acquisitions soon. It has only been about two months since I bought my first slab, but I have too many already and am looking to swap a few out and trade up to some more expensive books. My semi-grail is a Silver Surfer 4 I think (greatest cover ever!) and I just bought a Daredevil 181 (greatest comic ever!) from a WTB thread here on the boards that should be in hand Monday, so I am moving in that direction already.

It was funny dropping off my books at the cgc booth today. I am not too sure the guy behind me wanted to socialize but he was nice about tolerating my running discourse. I was pleasantly surprised at his reaction when I told him I was slabbing 5 books and three are non-existent on the census, no slabs of those issues at all (yet). He thought that was pretty cool and did not blink an eye when I showed him the one on top, a Seth Fisher comic valued at about $2 raw. But Seth Fisher was a visionary who may have really impacted the comics field had he not died tragically premature, and I loved his style so I got one slabbed. If it comes back 9.8 or even 9.6 I expect to slab one or two more comics drawn by Seth Fisher.

EDIT: okay, maybe I was wrong about the no census thing. It is hard for me to navigate that site in my noobness. It will be more clear once my books are back, at least I hope so.

Edited by Bird

Ah I remember my first slabbing experience. You learn so much, so fast.

I actually didn't get addicted when I won my first slab off of ebay. $51 for a 9.6 Venom 1 Gold Variant.

I actually had that for a year or so... I even bought an ASM 375 9.8 for cheap some time after.

What really got me addicted was sending in my first raw book to be graded.

The wait felt like forever...but when I got that slab back (Secret Wars 8 9.2), I started digging through my boxes.

I slabbed anything and everything with a cool cover, or semi-keys. Many 8.0's, 7.5, 9.4s, etc.

I started to smarten up.

I was lucky to be able sell off all of those books and put them into keys.

Then I started to hunt raw keys and got better at grading.

I've since slabbed about 100 books and sold them all. I used the money to buy the books in my sig.

I currently own three slabs. AF15, X-Men1 and a Wytches 1 9.8.

27 slabs are out being pressed and graded. When they come back, its time to sell and go for that FF1!

Gem_Mint, if you come back to read this let us know how those submissions worked out!

Here are two new Docs, both via OA trades! Well, I had to add $20 out of pocket on one (not the one you'd think) but not too bad I would say.

B_mgBJRU0AIjhBP.jpg

It is funny how you fall into these things. I now have Dr. Strange 169, 179, and 182...it immediately occurred to me today as I re-arranged them on the wall "well, I could go for 169-183!" I will not currently be attempting this! No, I will not!

And here is the X-Factor that arrived as a surprise gift from Jazzno!

B_mgBJMVAAEGvqE.jpg

I am still missing the Doctor Strange #179, and I can never convince myself to buy it, as it contains a reprint (and I don’t like the cover). I will end up getting a lowgrade copy I guess… :)

The slabs look really sweet, I especially like the ASM.

I am still missing the Doctor Strange #179, and I can never convince myself to buy it, as it contains a reprint (and I don’t like the cover). I will end up getting a lowgrade copy I guess… :)

The slabs look really sweet, I especially like the ASM.

Thanks. I never read ASM much but you cannot go wrong with Spidey!

Edited by Bird

OK, the trading up has begun. I have a stack of slabs to give to Clink next week at the comic art con and was able to use money in my paypal from board sales threads to buy this bad boy.

H7eSIuX.jpg

I am also flipping, or hope to flip, some modern variants that I got a good deal on in copper/modern right now. I pulled one or two out of the stack I bought for slabbing and the rest are ready to go.

BTW, I got some unsolicited advice that eventually told me I am making bad mistakes on my purchases and am a slab seller's dream! If that means I get books like this then fine, bring them on! But honestly he could not be more wrong, all funds come from flipping and trading.

Again, slabs are a lark for me. Even this one. If I pay $10 or $20 over GPA (which I did not do here - paid under 90 day average...just giving an example) I don;t mind much if it results in acquiring fun fun books. I now have the BEST. COVER. EVER. (this SS4) and the BEST. COMIC. EVER. (DD 181) I paid $500 for them shipped combined, but much was essentially other people's money!

My month of GPA runs out this weekend. I may need another month in case I stumble on something I like at the East Coast Comic Con in 3 weeks!

Just curious...

If you had to choose between Silver Surfer 1 and Silver Surfer 4, would you still pick SS4 as the best?

I suppose that's a rhetorical question as you just said you think 4 is the best cover but SS1 is so hard to beat. To me, Surfer 1 isn't a comicbook cover, it's more like a poster!

And I haven't looked in a while but does OSPG still refer to SS4 as rare?

I love the pose and figure of the Surfer on 1, and yes it is certainly poster worthy. But 4 for me is a marvel of artistic achievement. The power conveyed in the figures is epic! Two full figures on that page and each with such strength, the resulting clash is unparalled. (Man, writing this is hard. Stan the Man had some skill with words for sure!) A true clash of titans.

In terms of energy, SS4 shows me what these beings are all about. What's gonna happen? Who will prove the victor? Will they both just disintegrate as a result of the force of impact?

I have always been astonished at this cover. I have had about a dozen recreation/homages done over the years and some artists just cannot get it all on the page like Buscema did. And that is not a criticism of them, but just showing how special Big John was! (Michael Avon Oeming cheated and turned the page sideways for instance.)

I myself have never seen an Overstreet guide, so I cannot answer that question.

Silver Surfer # 4 easily. Possibly my favorite cover ever . When I sold my comic collection last year , one of the books I kept was SS 4 . Love that cover . That along with Defenders # 10 are just classic covers. SS # 4 has always been considered rare but never any info to really back that up. Most say it is not rare . I think someone posted statistics from CGC consensus to show its no rarer then any other book in the series.

Question that I would love answered. How does cgc treat printing defects? I cannot find the answer on the boards. I have multiple copies of a comic with known printing defect on back cover and wonder what that means to the grade it could achieve. As I understand it this is not held against the book if it is uniform across copies, correct? I don't know where I got that impression but that is what I believe. Any help would be appreciated.

Question that I would love answered. How does cgc treat printing defects? I cannot find the answer on the boards. I have multiple copies of a comic with known printing defect on back cover and wonder what that means to the grade it could achieve. As I understand it this is not held against the book if it is uniform across copies, correct? I don't know where I got that impression but that is what I believe. Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of defect is it? But to answer your question yes, CGC generally does not deduct for printing defects when grading.

Thanks for the answer DeadPoolJr.! The ink on the back cover in inconsistently applied and left a whitish column down the length of the comic. It is on all the copies that I have.

New questions regarding Signature Series stuff - do they allow artists to send in their own signed items without witnesses present when the stuff was signed?

And when witnesses/facillitators work a show, what is the range of fees associated with this? I am not talking about the cost of the artist signing, but about witnesses at shows such as the upcoming East Coast Comic Con? Does cgc provide this service gratis (I expect not) and do they employ the witness or are there all types of witnesses?

any help is appreciated,

da'Bird!

Thanks for the answer DeadPoolJr.! The ink on the back cover in inconsistently applied and left a whitish column down the length of the comic. It is on all the copies that I have.

New questions regarding Signature Series stuff - do they allow artists to send in their own signed items without witnesses present when the stuff was signed?

And when witnesses/facillitators work a show, what is the range of fees associated with this? I am not talking about the cost of the artist signing, but about witnesses at shows such as the upcoming East Coast Comic Con? Does cgc provide this service gratis (I expect not) and do they employ the witness or are there all types of witnesses?

any help is appreciated,

da'Bird!

Np problem Bird.

As for your questions regarding Sig Series from my understanding, artist are able to send their finished commissions of their work directly to CGC, but need to fill a special form for it, but thats only if their working on it from home. As for authorized witnesses I believe the term for them is known as CAWs, and you're not required to pay them. They get payed by CGC (very little like $50 a day). Facilitators on the other hand have prices that vary depending on who you get, and what sigs you want.Facilitators are good if you wants autographs, but can't make the show so you hire them instead. Since you'll actually be at the show I' would save the money, and just do the leg work myself, that is unless you want to go around the convention, and relax, than I would recommend paying the facilitators do the leg work.

For autographs yes you need to get a CAW to go with you to the artist. You can get one easily by just going to the CGC booth, and telling them you need an authorized witness to go with you to get a sig. They will then follow you to the artist, or writer you want to sign your book(s), and have them sign it in front of the witness.When done just walk back to the CGC booth with the witness, and fill out the paperwork. If its a sketch cover where the artist is drawing on a blank comic, you can actually drop off the blank for the artist to draw on, and only need a witness with you to pick it up when it done.

I hope these answer your questions, and if still confused, I recommend this thread in the sig part of the forum, which actually answers all your question much better than mine. (:http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3777459#Post3777459

And here's a list of facilitators who are taking submissions, so you can see if any are going to the con you're interested in. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=86

[...] I never read ASM much but you cannot go wrong with Spidey!

True and congrats with the great books!

Personally I'm trying to get some early Romita Sr. Spidey books at 9.6 WP or better, but recently it seems that these books have all vanished from dealers :pullhair: (ok, CConnect just had #50, but that will be the last one to get :whistle: ) Maybe the CGC grading and distribution phase is over, and I'm too late :cry:

Did manage to get a few though, these are probably my best:

2122297_Full_Obv.jpg

2053815_Full_Obv.jpg

2231245_Full_Obv.jpg

Well, the kids do not enjoy porridge too frequently, maybe it's a good thing that these books nowadays seem hard to find hm

Tried to track down a few of your books in the Registry, but could not find them - have you begun adding your books to the Registry? - Maybe I looked under the wrong name, otherwise could be a great thing to do :baiting: (just like I'm sure Vaillant has now published his Kirby FF #62 page on CAF - although my old eyes also had trouble finding that piece, must be my dirty glasses :sorry: ... )

No, I have not placed anything in the Registry. I decided not to consign my slabs to Clink today and just keep them in the closet as part of a grand scheme! But I am getting my final art package ready now.