• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

Congrats Brian! (thumbs u great pickup of the boozy entry of the Fab Four.

Sat this one out. I was thinking about going in at the end - until I saw Brian put his back up bid in 7 minutes out. Didn't like the idea of finding out where that one went.

You guys are too strong for me. :baiting:

Bob - no mint copy, no copy period. This is the one I've never owned.

RJ, smokin copy.

Sqeggs, that's a great little run you've got there! That's the thing about Fiction romance - a nice, tight, great looking and achievable goal. 12 books for Cowgirl, 5 for Pioneer West if you even want to go there. Keep you out of trouble for a few years. Or less!

Doesn't this cover look Bakerish? hm

CowgirlRomances7_zpse30285c3.jpg

yes it does look baker-ish -- too mostly in the composition with a nice foreground, midground and background. I feel his illustrations often take advantage of this dept of field to help tell a story in a single image.

I have one or two issues, maybe I should reread them and see if its' worth putting the title back on my future want list.... after a long list of other romance books of course.

Congrats Brian! (thumbs u great pickup of the boozy entry of the Fab Four.

Sat this one out. I was thinking about going in at the end - until I saw Brian put his back up bid in 7 minutes out. Didn't like the idea of finding out where that one went.

You guys are too strong for me. :baiting:

You could tell I raised my max bid 7 minutes out? I actually put it in with 5 days to go, then raised it another $5 near the end, but the bidding never even got to my original max bid... lol The underbidder probably thought I'd stopped at $250 like last time. I fooled 'em tho... (thumbs u It's such a game...I love it...

Oh, and while were on this subject, it's actually the Fab Five...you gotta count Lovelorn 54 too. It's an awesome cover, and deserves to be counted in the group..."Yer gonna live here, in a tenement." lol

2myncd0.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

TrueSecrets13f_blissard02152015_zpskx77ic20.jpg

Nancy Wessner sig sighting - I've posted briefly on this before. imho the only identifiable OO romance collection that survived. By a reader, that is. Church, Crippen, etc don't make that cut.

Here are some more. To me the books indicate a progression in age that extends beyond the time period of the books themselves. Makes me think hand-me-downs from an older sister - the sig suggests "mine now".

YouthfulRomances03fc100_zpszi0gnplu.jpg

BestLove36_zpssquyegna.jpg

teenage_romances41_zps0mtgd6ip.jpg

RomanticMarriage13f_zpszkz6s1rq.jpg

Fascinating. Somewhat unusual name. Did you ever try to research anything about her? Do you know if a particular dealer bought them from her (or her family)?

I'm wondering whether the OO of the Sixth Street collection might also have been a reader. I don't believe the collection contained superhero books or was particularly extensive. So it seems a fair guess that the romance books in the collection were purchased to be read.

That's great stuff Dr! Some of those covers are fantastic, and I've never seen them either.

I've starting posting my LB Cole's in his thread and I'm starting with a few romance titles if you're so incluned to take a look. Didn't want to clog up both threads.

Unfortunately, there were no romance comics in the "Paul" collection. I dug hard hoping there was some Baker stuff. Very little but no romance which makes sense. I love these "name" collections especially if you know what was in them. My favorite "name" collection was the "Rex Parker" collection I wrote about over in my thread. I got the whole collection of about 1,000 1948-1956 books. I pretty much bought them sight unseen. Was like opening King Tuts tomb as I turned them over in the pile! (no romance in that collection either, boys don't buy love books).

I gotta get me a TAR #9 someday. Did you get all these "Nancy's" all at once or discover them one by one in the wild? I'll keep my eyes peeled and check my boxes and see if I can turn up any more for you.

That copy is actually mine now (won in a CLink auction about a year ago). :acclaim:

Really tough book (and the price reflected it :cry: ) . That copy is the only one I've seen, although there are two other copies (with somewhat lower grades) on the census.

I don't care what grade I get. I just want to "Hold " and turn his pages...

I wonder if that dialog balloon is one of the reasons the issue is so scarce. Even in the innocent 1950s, that one would have been noticed! :D

I think it has a lot to do with it. Tha's the main reason I want it. There are far better Baker covers but this one has the dialog. Among other things, I like comics with "sexual enundo" covers. There are a lot like the Betty and Me #16, Rifleman #10 ect. I guess I need to post what I've got but this would be missing.