• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do WTB ad's work?
2 2

105 posts in this topic

I recently answered a WTB post. The guy was looking for some books and gave a range of prices. I sent a pm with a small stack of books on the higher end of the condition range and the low-end to middle of the price range.

No response...

meh

When I first started posting here, I had a want list in my signature. A very kind person found most of the books that I was looking for in an auction near my home and let me know. I went there and purchased them.

Another person noticed my signature for another book and PMed me to tell me he had just sold a copy to Harley Yee and to contact him.

The first person was flatrock02, and Mike (flatrock) would pm me all the time when he found books on my list, he did that for many people until he passed away.

The 2nd person doesn't post much and I don't want to name him, but he became a good friend ..

I also completed my Katy Keene run when someone pmed me answering a WTB ad.

There were books I had no success with, but they were rare books that just were not around,but people did pm me saying they were looking out for me.

I've answered WTB ads privately when people were looking to complete runs and I had the books in my collection.

I definitely think it's worth a shot and yes there are speculators but there are also many collectors here who really enjoy helping other collectors.

Yes, they work. Not every one, but you should bat over 500 on them.

If you strike out 100% on them, you're a cheaparse. Or you're just doing it wrong (usually because you're a cheaparse).

As Hellblazer said, thinking you're going to get the hot book de-jour for under FMV is doing it wrong.

no, yes, no.

no, have never had a response to my WTB ad. (shrug)

yes, have sold books to boardies that post WTB's. :applause:

no, have: located, graded, scanned, priced books that are in WTB's and gotten no response. :censored:

Edited by paperheart

WTB Ads can be tough though as you cannot buy everything from everyone that offers you something. Unfortunately I think I may have annoyed someone with the last WTB GI Joe Art ad I ran in the Original Art area of the forum.

I got quite a few PMs. There was one piece that stood out above all the others and it was from someone whose very first post on this forum was in response to my ad. It was kind of hard to juggle responses while I settled a price for the piece I mainly wanted. In the meanwhile, I settled a price for the other piece. There was no way in my budget though that I could buy everything.

Hopefully in a month or two when I reactivate it, I will have the opportunity to deal with others again over there.

If they did would you have started this thread?

I may not have had luck with getting books but have answered and sold books in the WTB forum. I started the thread seeking others experience. Knowledge is after all a key ingredient to success in all endeavors.

I'd say out of 20 WTB ads over the years, I can recall about five or six fulfillments.

Price point ads don't seem to work, unless you are paying over FMV. IE: Saying you'll pay $20 for a $30 book - not gonna happen.

Seldom-collected books and rarties won't get much action either. And if you do get PMs, they will generally be over what you want to pay because no one else is selling. (I was once offered a book at 2X GPA because no one was selling them at that moment) :banana:

WTB works best if you are looking for an easy-to-find book with a specified grade. I had some great WTB requests filled when I did not include a price and gave specific grades.

And, if you're requesting 9.6+ raw books - buyer beware, even on the CGC boards. Some people's 9.6 is anothers' 9.4.

All in all, I love the WTB area, though. I think it's great.

I noticed the ones that get the most responses are the ones where the OP says something like " I have $500 to spend and these are the types of books I am looking for, post what you have here and I will pick the one I like most "

Yes, they do work. You just have to be persistent and patient.

I've posted WTB's many times for a Cherry Mini, any condition.

Nothing.

That's a particularly rare comic though. May have to wait a while. I guarantee these boards are the place to find one though.

My WTB threads have worked on books that are fairly excessible and I offer FMV based on GPA or auction data. It works pretty well on keys, I usually get a selection of options.

My WTB threads on less common books, statues or TPBs have not gone very well.

However, I agree with many posts in here that the WTB page is overall a joke. Most of the people don't post a price and when prompted only want to pay well under market value (many are known flippers). I believe the word "daft" was used and I agree it is fitting.