• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visual guide to Mylar sizes
54 54

498 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure that this has been answered; and I've just missed it looking through this thread; but which would be better for the early TMNT issues; the 875M2's or the 900M2's?

On the E Gerber site; they are showing the 875M2's as 8 3/4"x11 1/2" and are for Large Comics, Mag & letters

The 900M2 are showing 9" x11 1/2" and for standard magazines.

Also which full backs would you use? 825FB or 8585FB (8 1/4" x 10 1/2" for the 825FB or 8 5/8" x 11 1/2" for the 858FB). They are showing that the 825FB fits the 875 mylites.

Thanks

Psy

Best fit for modern books IMHO is:

Standard Full back/Standard Mylite 2 bag combo.....then slid into a silver/gold Mylite 2 with a Silver/Gold Fullback.

Example:

Preacher 1, which I subbed to CGC at the Big Apple Con, this is a thicker modern book.....

(Crease all Mylite2's before inserting comic)

I placed the book on top of 2 standard fullback boards (slightly curved sided facing up, to cradle the spine).....book was slid into a Mylite 2 standard bag.

I then slid in a BCW silver age (same size as full back standards, just thinner) to ensure a snug fit.

Apply 2 small pieces of Scotch gift tape, as far away from the spine as possible.Seal the book tightly.Gift tape pops right off M2 bags, do not use regular scotch tape.

I then placed the preacher 1 onto a silver/gold fullback, slid her into a silver/gold Mylite.

For silver age books....go a size up.

Standard Full back/Standard Mylite 2 bag combo.....then slid into a silver/gold Mylite 2 with a Silver/Gold Fullback.

Example:

Preacher 1, which I subbed to CGC at the Big Apple Con, this is a thicker modern book.....

I placed the book on top of 2 standard fullback boards (slightly curved sided facing up, to cradle the spine).....book was slid into a Mylite 2 standard bag.

I then slid in a BCW silver age (same size as full back standards, just thinner) to ensure a snug fit.

Apply 2 small pieces of Scotch gift tape, as far away from the spine as possible.Seal the book tightly.Gift tape pops right off M2 bags, do not use regular scotch tape.

I then placed the preacher 1 onto a silver/gold fullback, slid her into a silver/gold Mylite.

As was mentioned in another thread, when you made the same suggestion, it is a bad idea to use a non-buffered board such as the BCW (or any other coated board for that matter) with an alkaline buffered throughout board such as the Gerber fullback boards. You are paying for the archival quality of the buffered board, then reducing it's effectiveness, by adding in an additional acidic load from the BCW board. The point of using the buffered Fullback boards is that you do not have to change them nearly as much (if at all for moderns) as traditional comic boards.

BCW recommends changing their boards every 2-3 years. Even though the BCW boards are labeled acid free, the only part that is truly acid free by the time you get them is the coating.

The only alkaline buffered throughout boards sold regularly into the comic market are from Gerber and Bill Cole.

Example:

That's pretty bad advice - please don't do this, folks.

Example:

That's pretty bad advice - please don't do this, folks.

Don't worry, it's just his opinion.

Example:

As was mentioned in another thread, when you made the same suggestion, it is a bad idea to use a non-buffered board such as the BCW (or any other coated board for that matter) with an alkaline buffered throughout board such as the Gerber fullback boards. You are paying for the archival quality of the buffered board, then reducing it's effectiveness, by adding in an additional acidic load from the BCW board. The point of using the buffered Fullback boards is that you do not have to change them nearly as much (if at all for moderns) as traditional comic boards.

BCW recommends changing their boards every 2-3 years. Even though the BCW boards are labeled acid free, the only part that is truly acid free by the time you get them is the coating.

The only alkaline buffered throughout boards sold regularly into the comic market are from Gerber and Bill Cole.

I know that BCW boards are not acid free.My advice is for short term storage....not long term.

I am well aware of BCW boards degrading gerber/cole archival product but this is NOT an issue, when the products (mylite 2 and full backs) are being used chiefly for their ability to safegaurd books from damage(spine stress etc) due to mis-handling and are ONLY being used short term.

What I am paying for, in this regard, is the rigid protection from using 2 thick Mylite2 bags and 3 full backs, per comic.

For storing long term in a private collection, my advice would be the same, MINUS using cheap non-acid free BCW boards.

I have a mylar query and I thought I'd bring it into this thread... Given it's one of the best on the board and could use a bump anyway. :P

So, I currently stick my slabs in M2 914's.

The books look amazing and every so often I open them up to let out any gas build up etc and then reseal.

I saw these "cgc mylars" on eBay - with a resealable backing:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-Diamond-CGC-Mylar-Bags-Extras-Detective-Comics-in-Dazzling-Brilliance-/191511605664?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c96fb31a0

What is the primary difference between these and a 914? I'm assuming thickness? Anything else?

If you were spoiled for choice, what would you choose?

I have a mylar query and I thought I'd bring it into this thread... Given it's one of the best on the board and could use a bump anyway. :P

So, I currently stick my slabs in M2 914's.

The books look amazing and every so often I open them up to let out any gas build up etc and then reseal.

I saw these "cgc mylars" on eBay - with a resealable backing:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-Diamond-CGC-Mylar-Bags-Extras-Detective-Comics-in-Dazzling-Brilliance-/191511605664?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c96fb31a0

What is the primary difference between these and a 914? I'm assuming thickness? Anything else?

If you were spoiled for choice, what would you choose?

Those aren't mylar, they're a different kind of thin plastic. They're not bad, but I think you're looking more for what you're already using.

Personally, I don't see the need to put slabs in a Mylar bag. To me, it seems a waste, but that's my opinion and I don't fault others for doing what

Hey Slym - yeah - that is valid.

I put mine in 914's because I strongly dislike the bag a slab comes in and prefer to not have to deal with them or remove a slab from one to look at it.

I still want to put some protection around the slab to prevent scratching the case but I want that protection to not detract from the beauty of the book and, because I am OTT with preservation and a bit of a tight-, I prefer to use something that won't have to be replaced frequently.

(Cheaper bags/boards etc for things you intend on keeping for the long haul are, imho, a false economy).

Those aren't mylar, they're a different kind of thin plastic. They're not bad, but I think you're looking more for what you're already using.

Thanks Liaton - that's great feedback. I suspected that might be the case... (no pun intended) but I'm glad to confirm - appreciate it.

I have a question that is not 100% topic related, but here it goes: anybody know the "dealer" price for a pack of Mylite2?

For example, a pack of 50 Mylite2 775 cost $11.50 (a $0.23 per bag) or 1000 for $165 ($0.165 per bag). How much would it cost to, for example, Egerber or Hotflips to buy/produce them?

I just wanted to bump this, as it's a valuable thread.

I should have referenced this thread the other day. As I had ordered a pack of silver/gold 775M4. But after putting in some silver-age iron man comics, came to realize that they don't fit in the short box. They are 1/4" too wide.

It turns out that I had ordered BCW Silver age 4mil mylars last year. doh!

Which are 7.5" wide (and fit my short boxes).

I consider it a $20 stupidity fee I had to pay for not referencing this thread.

-Terry

Edited by Firespitter

Mylites2s are great for clumsy people. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped books and had the corners crunched up. With Mylites2 because of their welded edges it prevents the book(if placed in correct sized mylar) from getting too near the edge which coincidently or not protects the book against corner dings should you drop the book in a mylite2.

I should have referenced this thread the other day. As I had ordered a pack of silver/gold 775M4. But after putting in some silver-age iron man comics, came to realize that they don't fit in the short box. They are 1/4" too wide.

-Terry

You can order boxes from Gerber that all of their bags/boards will fit in. Personally I think the Gerber boxes are superior to others I've used.

-Terry

You can order boxes from Gerber that all of their bags/boards will fit in. Personally I think the Gerber boxes are superior to others I've used.

I use magazine size boxes to store my books that are in 775's. They fit like a charm.