• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do WTB ad's work?
2 2

105 posts in this topic

I've had some success with them. I've bought some stuff through them & other times, I've had people offer things to me for a 50% markup over what they turn around and put it into a sales thread for. Thankfully, I've been good about smelling those out & avoiding them. Other times though, I've gotten fair offers from sellers. So it's a bit of a crapshoot.

But sometimes, I'm willing to pay that WTB-thread premium (for the really hard-to-find stuff) that often gets thrown onto them.

I've had some success with them. I've bought some stuff through them & other times, I've had people offer things to me for a 50% markup over what they turn around and put it into a sales thread for. Thankfully, I've been good about smelling those out & avoiding them. Other times though, I've gotten fair offers from sellers. So it's a bit of a crapshoot.

lol I've had the same thing...even worse.

I've had people offer me a book in my WTB thread that they also had in a CURRENT sales thread for MORE than it was in the ongoing sales thread.

lol I've had the same thing...even worse.

I've had people offer me a book in my WTB thread that they also had in a CURRENT sales thread for MORE than it was in the ongoing sales thread.

Have had that happen.

yes but it depends on what you are looking for. If I put up a WTB for some HG BA with good centering I get multiple responses at or around GPA. Put up a WTB for a book like a VF ghostly Weird 122 and even after bumping it multiple times I didn't get a single acceptable book offered.

WTB ads have helped me find everything from GA to a few moderns. In fact, others have seen them and sent me PMs to check out things they noticed on other websites and auctions for the only reason to help me find a book.

I've been on the fence about giving it a shot. Looking at possibly putting up a small list and see what comes now that I'm reaching the more scarce items on my want list. I'm considering it mainly because I feel I might get more accurate grading or high res scans of books that I'm really after in the narrow condition range and flaws I'll accept on here than on ebay.

I sometimes go looking to see if I have anything anyone wants and get excited when I find someone I can help but what a let down when I see they've already had it filled a few posts down but haven't updated their want list. Then I stop looking for a month or so and occasionally go back when the CG posts are not particularly interesting to kill some time.

I have had an overall good experience in the WTB threads; I have three active threads that have gone silent the last six months. It is important to remember that you are probably not going to find what your looking for in a couple hours or even a couple days, even finding HG drek will take time.

I think they do. I haven't been here long but my one WTB hit huge (for me). I had 3 or 4 replies, and it was definitely a case where a fellow boardie did the leg work.

When he found the books, he said "I'd like to get X$" and I paid it. He'd done all the work, all the "regular" online channels (and 4 local shops) had failed me so I was more than happy to pay his asking price.

I've only replied to one and it was via PM. My price was the the 12-mth GPA average and never heard back from him (so I assume that was too much!)

I will certainly post again on the WTB. And I hope I can help somebody else out too!

The last time I responded to somebody's WTB thread, I offered to sell them a hard to find book they were looking for at almost exactly the price they said they'd pay. They said that was way too much. (shrug)

It's hit and miss. If you're looking for something, post. Increasing your odds of finding something is never a bad thing.

I've thought about it for some books a bit harder to find graded, but not overly expensive. Part of my problem is I'm not sure how to price them.
If the price isn't firmly established in recent sales or GPA I'd offer about 20% under what I'd be willing to pay to leave a little negotiation room when someone has the book but asks 50% over what you state you'd like to pay.

I've thought about it for some books a bit harder to find graded, but not overly expensive. Part of my problem is I'm not sure how to price them.
If the price isn't firmly established in recent sales or GPA I'd offer about 20% under what I'd be willing to pay to leave a little negotiation room when someone has the book but asks 50% over what you state you'd like to pay.

I should probably just throw a number out there and see what happens. Worst that can happen is I get ignored.

Post a WTB and see what happens. Chances are someone has one, someone will look for one or someone will direct you to one.

This is not a 100% probability but it certainly helps.

I see some WTBs that are clearly people looking for stuff to flip, and that's just daft.

If you post a WTB you should expect to pay full current FMV or more, because you're asking people to sell you books that they might not otherwise be selling. It's for people who really want something that they haven't been able to find, not for bargain hunting.

I find it quite offensive when people essentially ask a seller to give them money for nothing i.e. "Please sell me silver age keys at bargain prices." Why should they? And no, it's not OK to ask. Asking for that is the same as going up to someone and saying "You look fairly unintelligent. May I rip you off please?"

There are exceptions. Maybe someone really wants a run for which there is virtually no demand. In that case a seller might be happy to offload the books at a 'bargain' price, since they can't shift the books at anything like guide anyway. That situation is great for both buyer and seller.