• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

You have to give the guy credit though. Most people overstate what GPA is, then pretend to sell for that same amount. This guy quoted GPA and proceeded to blatantly ask for a lot more. lol

To be fair, GPA is what someone else paid for the book -- not something writ in stone from the mount.

Moses_zps0r9xrhrl.jpg

Higher prices happen because someone pays a higher price.

True enough, though it appears it won't happen in this particular case! :D

unless someone pops it on Clink for $1650

Exact same book?

QypPGcv.gif

:lol:

-slym

You have to give the guy credit though. Most people overstate what GPA is, then pretend to sell for that same amount. This guy quoted GPA and proceeded to blatantly ask for a lot more. lol

To be fair, GPA is what someone else paid for the book -- not something writ in stone from the mount.

Moses_zps0r9xrhrl.jpg

Higher prices happen because someone pays a higher price.

True enough, though it appears it won't happen in this particular case! :D

unless someone pops it on Clink for $1650

Exact same book?

QypPGcv.gif

:lol:

-slym

closed the thread here. no button humping.

Looking for opinions on a sale i'm thinking of having.I have about 25 Omnibi, a couple hundred modern hardcovers, softcovers and assorted TPBs and under copies of SA/BA books.

I'd like to donate some of the proceeds to The Hero Initiative. Somewhere along the line of 10% if the sale brings in $1,000 and 25% if it brings in $2,000.

I'm not sure how to word it or if its an idea people will person_without_enough_empathy about.

Any ideas? I am leaning towards an auction, rather that a straight sales thread.

When you're going ahead with the sales thread (or auction) list your donation conditions in your first post. (Of course mention the charity bit in your title as well)

Make sure that what you donate is clear. ie. don't put "Somewhere along the line of 10% if the sale brings in $1,000 and 25% if it brings in $2,000."

I will donate 10% of the books sold, to The Hero Initiative. If these sales totals reach $2000, I will bump up my donation to 25%. This is for a good cause. We can make a difference together, folks, so don't hold back. (thumbs u

No one should bltch if you are clear.

Lastly, once the sale is final and you've made your donation to the Hero Initiative. Please provide proof in your thread that you did make that donation. :) That shouldn't be taken as a question of your word or ethical behaviour, it's just a necessary part of being transparent, especially when raising money for charities are involved.

Looking for opinions on a sale i'm thinking of having.I have about 25 Omnibi, a couple hundred modern hardcovers, softcovers and assorted TPBs and under copies of SA/BA books.

I'd like to donate some of the proceeds to The Hero Initiative. Somewhere along the line of 10% if the sale brings in $1,000 and 25% if it brings in $2,000.

I'm not sure how to word it or if its an idea people will person_without_enough_empathy about.

Any ideas? I am leaning towards an auction, rather that a straight sales thread.

When you're going ahead with the sales thread (or auction) list your donation conditions in your first post. (Of course mention the charity bit in your title as well)

Make sure that what you donate is clear. ie. don't put "Somewhere along the line of 10% if the sale brings in $1,000 and 25% if it brings in $2,000."

I will donate 10% of the books sold, to The Hero Initiative. If these sales totals reach $2000, I will bump up my donation to 25%. This is for a good cause. We can make a difference together, folks, so don't hold back. (thumbs u

No one should bltch if you are clear.

Lastly, once the sale is final and you've made your donation to the Hero Initiative. Please provide proof in your thread that you did make that donation. :) That shouldn't be taken as a question of your word or ethical behaviour, it's just a necessary part of being transparent, especially when raising money for charities are involved.

I'd add to the beginning statement that you are going to be making the donation, not the buyer.

Sometimes people get confused about that.

Is it just me or is it annoying when someone uses "bone white" pages to describe page color of a book? What does bone white even mean?

I can't say that I find it annoying. However, I think most people misuse the term to mean really, really, white. However, it's far from that...bones really aren't that white. Actually, it's a technical color name that describes a range of yellowish/grayish whites...

From the paint company Benjamin Moore, for example:

bm-03.jpg

Here's one with more gray than yellow:

04-200-70-bone-white_72_detail.jpg

Actually, maybe it is annoying...the color name is not very descriptive, is it...is it yellowish-white or grayish-white? :makepoint:

Why am I spending time on this? :D Stop stalling, Ed...get back to work.... :D

Benjamin Moore has about 20 different whites, or more and the page grading card that came with those grading guides is very dark. If I had a book that matched the "tan" I'd think it would be brittle.

Is it just me or is it annoying when someone uses "bone white" pages to describe page color of a book? What does bone white even mean?

So white that it's REALLY exciting....REALLY EXCITING!!

Would be good to wait for VCC? Personally, I don't pay much attention till VCC, but who knows?

Not necessarily. I've seen books move in individual sales threads that sat unsold at a VCC. Happens sometimes

How about "Snow White"?

Or perhaps, "New Fallen Snow-White"?

Because you certainly don't want "Week old dirty snow-white"

And you absolutely should avoid "Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow show-white"

2c

I find it silly, especially when describing the PQ of a slabbed book. Unless you crack it out, how will you ever know? (shrug)

As a buyer, this reference would attract my attention. If accurate, it's good information but it should not be used loosely. Occasionally, very occasionally, I will open a book and think Bone White pages.