• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1 Club
2 2

487 posts in this topic

I never ever thought I'd be a member of this club.

I have a very modest collecting income, so being able to join an elite club like this is pretty exciting for me.

I've had a coverless Supe 1 for about 7 years now and basically never thought I'd be able to add a cover.

You may have seen the cover on ebay a few weeks ago. I decided to make (what I consider) a low ball offer, and he went for it.

The cover actually is quite nice. It's slightly faded in the reds. It has a few minor tears. The inside of the cover has a couple glue marks but it is not glue that is sealing anything, I think it is glue from where the cover was mounted on a backing board (in a frame, which is where this was) or in a scrapbook at one time.

Maybe one of you guys can tell me how CGC handles glue that is not sealing a tear.

The cover does not appear to be trimmed except on the spine. Again, would one of you guys tell me how CGC handles a spine cut. To me that shouldn't be be a plod like a top or side trim. I would imagine the original owner either cut off the back cover to pin up on the wall, or the front cover to pin up on the wall.

To me, I couldn't have asked for a nicer looking .5

get-attachment_zpsiz9zvqr4.jpg

get-attachment-1_zpsqwitqwzy.jpg

get-attachment-2_zpshbh9rifh.jpg

Congrats! I love it when a plan, and pieces of a major book, come together

I never ever thought I'd be a member of this club.

I have a very modest collecting income, so being able to join an elite club like this is pretty exciting for me.

I've had a coverless Supe 1 for about 7 years now and basically never thought I'd be able to add a cover.

You may have seen the cover on ebay a few weeks ago. I decided to make (what I consider) a low ball offer, and he went for it.

The cover actually is quite nice. It's slightly faded in the reds. It has a few minor tears. The inside of the cover has a couple glue marks but it is not glue that is sealing anything, I think it is glue from where the cover was mounted on a backing board (in a frame, which is where this was) or in a scrapbook at one time.

Maybe one of you guys can tell me how CGC handles glue that is not sealing a tear.

The cover does not appear to be trimmed except on the spine. Again, would one of you guys tell me how CGC handles a spine cut. To me that shouldn't be be a plod like a top or side trim. I would imagine the original owner either cut off the back cover to pin up on the wall, or the front cover to pin up on the wall.

To me, I couldn't have asked for a nicer looking .5

First off, congrats on the pick-up! I saw that cover back when it was first up at $10k (No offers allowed) I didn't see they had it relisted accepting offers. At the time I was willing to pay $6k myself (and my interior is in much worse shape than yours.) So if you got it at anywhere near that price IMO you got a steal.

As far as the resto questions, I think if the glue is not doing anything on a GA book and is the only resto you'd get a blue label. I'm not 100% sure about the left edge, but I would think it's the same scenario there. (since the cover was cut off and not intentionally trimmed) However it looks (from the pics) like the cover has additional resto work so if submitted to CGC they'll probably include the glue & trimming with the other resto notes.

Congrats again on the pick-up and welcome to the club :applause:

So, before I get this slabbed should I try to have the glue spots removed from the inside cover (even though they aren't sealing anything), or should I just leave it alone?

I'm actually going to be in Tampa soon for a week. If I brought it in to CGC for a walk-thru service would I get it back that same week?

So, before I get this slabbed should I try to have the glue spots removed from the inside cover (even though they aren't sealing anything), or should I just leave it alone?

I'm actually going to be in Tampa soon for a week. If I brought it in to CGC for a walk-thru service would I get it back that same week?

I would leave it alone. I think the cover has additional resto that's going to get it a purple label anyway so no reason to mess with it. If you're going to be in Tampa though CGC might be willing to take a look and tell you for sure. If you bring it to CGC and walk it through, they'll have it graded for you the same day.

I would leave it alone. I think the cover has additional resto that's going to get it a purple label anyway so no reason to mess with it. If you're going to be in Tampa though CGC might be willing to take a look and tell you for sure. If you bring it to CGC and walk it through, they'll have it graded for you the same day.

What additional resto do you suspect? There's no tape, I don't think the 3 free edges have been trimmed, I don't think there's color touch (although I haven't gotten my jewelers loupe out yet to really look it over).

To me it seems like if some resto would have been done they would have at least sealed some tears.

The only thing I'm not sure about is a "cleaning" and I'm not sure how to detect that (smell?)

Edited by gadzukes

If you bring it to CGC and walk it through, they'll have it graded for you the same day.

I was just looking at the fee for walk-thru service. 3%fmv?

Even on something super low grade like this?

So, if we say it's worth $15,000 they're going to charge me $450?

If you bring it to CGC and walk it through, they'll have it graded for you the same day.

yup. I think Dark Knight paid $550 to get his 1.0 supe 1 graded. They charged me nearly $200 when my Tec 29 got sent in on a walkthrough. I think someone on these boards paid $1500 to get an Action 1 sent on a walkthrough.

yup. I think Dark Knight paid $550 to get his 1.0 supe 1 graded. They charged me nearly $200 when my Tec 29 got sent in on a walkthrough. I think someone on these boards paid $1500 to get an Action 1 sent on a walkthrough.

Yep. Well worth it :cloud9: