• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,315 posts in this topic

I picked these up off of eBay a couple of weeks ago. I've been looking for a copy of Tales of Terror for a while, but the Crypt Archives is cool too!

05067629-7A31-4E15-B8A2-AC6755E6F0E7_zpsemuexrsr.jpg

3C4F3269-C55C-478B-8AEA-9EB6FE2DB738_zpssdakqzol.jpg

85CABFC6-126E-484F-A4E1-FB1403F74D0B_zpshhyakve7.jpg

37a77f19-30e1-4a18-8be8-a5721cf2c790_zpswnssaw8c.jpg

...love the sigs :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I picked these up off of eBay a couple of weeks ago. I've been looking for a copy of Tales of Terror for a while, but the Crypt Archives is cool too!

05067629-7A31-4E15-B8A2-AC6755E6F0E7_zpsemuexrsr.jpg

3C4F3269-C55C-478B-8AEA-9EB6FE2DB738_zpssdakqzol.jpg

85CABFC6-126E-484F-A4E1-FB1403F74D0B_zpshhyakve7.jpg

37a77f19-30e1-4a18-8be8-a5721cf2c790_zpswnssaw8c.jpg

That's cool Mitch. I've fancied some for a while but I'm never in the right place at the right time.

Fresh in from Toronto...... and I could never have a "favorite" E.C. cover..... but if I could, this would be a contender. First copy I've ever owned :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

WeirdScience16_zps31040cb5.jpg

I think I may remember that thread...missed out on a Canadian book I really wanted....sigh.

That above cover was the first one that got me into.collecting the 68 page Gladstone reprints way back when...

Beautiful book,enjoy!

I think I may remember that thread...missed out on a Canadian book I really wanted....sigh.

That above cover was the first one that got me into.collecting the 68 page Gladstone reprints way back when...

Beautiful book,enjoy!

I haven't even read it yet :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Fresh in from Toronto...... and I could never have a "favorite" E.C. cover..... but if I could, this would be a contender. First copy I've ever owned :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Just bumping this up to the fresh page.... :cloud9:

I'd love to contribute some of my favorite books to this thread.

When the Gaines File Copies first went on sale in 1990, I could really only afford one book. But there was no question as to which issue it would be:

WeirdScience14GFC6of12_zpsa4f2774c.jpg

This cover so perfectly captures the romance of discovering magic worlds ruled by beautiful and exotic alien princesses.

I find it very interesting that, thematically, the cover of Weird Science 14 is so similar to the previous issue (13).

ws13_14_zps2bae0d53.jpg

It's as if, upon finishing the cover to 13, Wood started to imagine how he might have done the same "first contact" scenario differently. Like an afterthought. And so, without even waiting, he produced what he may have decided was a dreamier, more exotic, and feminine, version of the WS 13 scenario.

I've come to think of WS 13 and 14 as "Brother and Sister". I've had the Gaines WS 14 since 1990, but I didn't acquire a Gaines WS 13 until just last year. At last, Brother and Sister are together again.

<3

You guys are blowing me away with this thread. I have a little story for you from 25 years back.

My favorite comics of my childhood were EC horror and sci-fi.... reprints. I grew up in the 80's and early 90's and I was into comics from a young age - born in '81, my first comics were from '87 or so. After acquiring cash from my paper route when I was 10 or 11 I started collecting the Gladstone and Russ Cochran EC reprints more than any other book at the time. I was hardcore into the horror books so I started researching the old 70's movies and rented them. Then I went and picked up an original movie poster for the 1973 Vault of Horror flick from a retro movie poster warehouse/store, and hung it up on my bedroom wall. I still have it rolled up in storage somewhere, I have plans to get it framed one day.

I had aspirations of being a comic artist back then (I sketched a number of the classic EC covers back then, maybe I'll scan some to post in this thread someday), so I actually drew a sketch inspired by the movie poster artwork for Vault '73 and sent it in to Russ with a short letter since he was doing new fan-mail section in the reprints. As is the case with any fan-mail publication you never receive word from them if they actually publish it. Since it was horror based and I mostly purchased Vault/Haunt/Crypt books, months and months went by and I never saw it in the copies I purchased and eventually I forgot I even sent it in.

My passion were the horror books, but that being said I did pick up more than a few of the sci-fi titles. One day while randomly browsing the Weird Science/Fantasy back issues I pulled out Wood's Weird Science #14 from the bottom drawer of the cabinet of my LCS. I instantly fell in love with the cover, so I naturally bought it. I read it as soon as I got home and lo and behold in the letters section was my original sketch and short blurb I wrote about it. My eyes nearly popped out of my head.

I was 14 at the time and I knew it would be the first and last time any of my drawings would appear in a real comic book. Anyways it was a pleasant surprise and if you go grab a Cochran reprint of Weird Science #14 from 1992 and open it up to the letters section you can see my sketch and letter.

Sorry I don't have any original copies to post in this thread, but I figured you all are the true hardcore EC fans so would appreciate my little story. I will continue drooling over your amazing books and hope to acquire some one day. Keep them coming folks. :cloud9:

My favorite Sci-Fi EC cover...by a good margin.

When the Gaines File Copies first went on sale in 1990, I could really only afford one book. But there was no question as to which issue it would be:

This cover so perfectly captures the romance of discovering magic worlds ruled by beautiful and exotic alien princesses.

I find it very interesting that, thematically, the cover of Weird Science 14 is so similar to the previous issue (13).

ws13_14_zps2bae0d53.jpg

It's as if, upon finishing the cover to 13, Wood started to imagine how he might have done the same "first contact" scenario differently. Like an afterthought. And so, without even waiting, he produced what he may have decided was a dreamier, more exotic, and feminine, version of the WS 13 scenario.

I've come to think of WS 13 and 14 as "Brother and Sister". I've had the Gaines WS 14 since 1990, but I didn't acquire a Gaines WS 13 until just last year. At last, Brother and Sister are together again.

<3

You guys are blowing me away with this thread. I have a little story for you from 25 years back.

My favorite comics of my childhood were EC horror and sci-fi.... reprints. I grew up in the 80's and early 90's and I was into comics from a young age - born in '81, my first comics were from '87 or so. After acquiring cash from my paper route when I was 10 or 11 I started collecting the Gladstone and Russ Cochran EC reprints more than any other book at the time. I was hardcore into the horror books so I started researching the old 70's movies and rented them. Then I went and picked up an original movie poster for the 1973 Vault of Horror flick from a retro movie poster warehouse/store, and hung it up on my bedroom wall. I still have it rolled up in storage somewhere, I have plans to get it framed one day.

I had aspirations of being a comic artist back then (I sketched a number of the classic EC covers back then, maybe I'll scan some to post in this thread someday), so I actually drew a sketch inspired by the movie poster artwork for Vault '73 and sent it in to Russ with a short letter since he was doing new fan-mail section in the reprints. As is the case with any fan-mail publication you never receive word from them if they actually publish it. Since it was horror based and I mostly purchased Vault/Haunt/Crypt books, months and months went by and I never saw it in the copies I purchased and eventually I forgot I even sent it in.

My passion were the horror books, but that being said I did pick up more than a few of the sci-fi titles. One day while randomly browsing the Weird Science/Fantasy back issues I pulled out Wood's Weird Science #14 from the bottom drawer of the cabinet of my LCS. I instantly fell in love with the cover, so I naturally bought it. I read it as soon as I got home and lo and behold in the letters section was my original sketch and short blurb I wrote about it. My eyes nearly popped out of my head.

I was 14 at the time and I knew it would be the first and last time any of my drawings would appear in a real comic book. Anyways it was a pleasant surprise and if you go grab a Cochran reprint of Weird Science #14 from 1992 and open it up to the letters section you can see my sketch and letter.

Sorry I don't have any original copies to post in this thread, but I figured you all are the true hardcore EC fans so would appreciate my little story. I will continue drooling over your amazing books and hope to acquire some one day. Keep them coming folks. :cloud9:

That really is an astonishing coincidence because I, too, have a letter and a drawing published in the Gemstone reprint of Weird Science 14. In fact, I was a regular contributor to those letters columns from 1994 to 2000, and ended up with letters and drawings in several dozen issues. And I agree, there can be no cooler place in all of popular literature to be published (except, perhaps, the original EC's, themselves... but we just weren't so lucky as to be around, back then).

That's one sweet copy.

:cloud9:

That would be a contender for me as well...Great pickup, bro!

Not as pristine as yours, but here's a reader of mine that is definitely in contention, eh eh;

53329k.jpg

Nice book Jimbo I'm glad it went to a good home. I was on the fence when this was offered and you made the decision for me. lol One of my fav EC covers!

Nice book Jimbo I'm glad it went to a good home. I was on the fence when this was offered and you made the decision for me. lol One of my fav EC covers!

It's a corker of a cover - aliens, kids, their dog - which has often made me wonder what a Neal Adams recreation would look like, given his (Neal's) later efforts in this area.

hm

ws13_14_zps2bae0d53.jpg

<3

That really is an astonishing coincidence because I, too, have a letter and a drawing published in the Gemstone reprint of Weird Science 14. In fact, I was a regular contributor to those letters columns from 1994 to 2000, and ended up with letters and drawings in several dozen issues. And I agree, there can be no cooler place in all of popular literature to be published (except, perhaps, the original EC's, themselves... but we just weren't so lucky as to be around, back then).

Crazy coincidence. That is awesome man, I never thought to keep sending drawings in, figured one was good enough. Ah well. It is indeed the coolest place to be published, even if it isn't the originals. Just being a tiny part in the whole EC history is satisfying in itself. I am jealous of the old guys though who were around in the 50's to read that stuff when it was first published. I'm going to a big con next week and will be hunting a raggedy original horror title, hopefully can snag one for a decent price. Will pop my original EC cherry :headbang:

ws13_14_zps2bae0d53.jpg

<3

Crazy coincidence. That is awesome man, I never thought to keep sending drawings in, figured one was good enough. Ah well. It is indeed the coolest place to be published, even if it isn't the originals. Just being a tiny part in the whole EC history is satisfying in itself. I am jealous of the old guys though who were around in the 50's to read that stuff when it was first published. I'm going to a big con next week and will be hunting a raggedy original horror title, hopefully can snag one for a decent price. Will pop my original EC cherry :headbang:

.... having read the Reprint line, you have the advantage of knowing what you like. If you're looking for bargains just be careful to check for tanning and brittleness as the originals can be somewhat fragile if the came from an attic or something similar. I always liked Haunt the best of the horror because of the Ingles covers..... but they're all in a league of their own, quality wise. I'm curious to see what you select....and it doesn't have to be mint.... the thread is for ANY lover of the publisher. The WS 16 I just got is probably just a Fine plus but has great eye appeal..... and my 'ole lady's copies (she loves them too) are good to very good for the most part....most of hers were 30 dollars or less. GOD BLESS...

ws13_14_zps2bae0d53.jpg

<3

.... having read the Reprint line, you have the advantage of knowing what you like. If you're looking for bargains just be careful to check for tanning and brittleness as the originals can be somewhat fragile if the came from an attic or something similar. I always liked Haunt the best of the horror because of the Ingles covers..... but they're all in a league of their own, quality wise. I'm curious to see what you select....and it doesn't have to be mint.... the thread is for ANY lover of the publisher. The WS 16 I just got is probably just a Fine plus but has great eye appeal..... and my 'ole lady's copies (she loves them too) are good to very good for the most part....most of hers were 30 dollars or less. GOD BLESS...

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to avoid the crumbling copies that turn up. I will probably set myself a budget of $75 give or take as there are other books I'll be looking to pick up at the show as well. If I had my choice of covers, I'd probably cherry pick one of Crypt #40, Haunt #12, Vault #14 and Shock #9 or #3. We'll see what turns up.

Edited by Couchy81