• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

That was literally the first thing I did. There isn't anything about it that says "shillling" to me. The bidders and bidding pattern appear diverse. Unless you're seeing something I don't ? (shrug)

What I could see happening is a high bidder not being a serious buyer and retracting a bid or just not paying after the auction.

-J.

These two:

0***c ( 89)

n***1 ( 147)

are the only bidders since $900. Drive up the price, pop yours up with a high start, high BIN, sell it. The seller of the book doesn't have to be in on it either.

I could be wrong, and those are two ebay noobs that don't know how to bid, however...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-678-Mary-Jane-Venom-Joe-Quinones-Variant-Cover-NM-/351329366668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51ccdcb28c&nma=true&si=oEWac0nR91LAqQb4v922vVlstRY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Not saying these ebayers are connected at all. Not saying they aren't either.

Anything is possible. I would personally normally like to see the bidders participating in more than just one auction to see a pattern. The book isn't in great enough abundance to really shill the traditional way since few people will have multiple copies to sell, which means a fairly complex effort to make a few hundred dollars more on just one book.

-J.

At this point I wonder if one of these books not graded will get more then a graded one.

Could be. I may be better off just selling mine raw when the day comes and save on the grading fees.

Like this guy just did...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-678-Mary-Jane-Venom-Joe-Quinones-Variant-Cover-NM-/351329366668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51ccdcb28c

At this point I wonder if one of these books not graded will get more then a graded one.

Could be. I may be better off just selling mine raw when the day comes and save on the grading fees.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-678-Mary-Jane-Venom-Joe-Quinones-Variant-Cover-NM-/351329366668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51ccdcb28c

I would imagine that you would do better slabbing it if you think it is a 9.4 or better.

-J.

I would imagine that you would do better slabbing it if you think it is a 9.4 or better.

-J.

The longer I have it the more I wanna keep it though, definitely is at least a 9.6. Taking a wait and see with it, and I can't imagine the price on it ever going down by much. It's one of the ultimate status / bragging rights books

-J.

The longer I have it the more I wanna keep it though, definitely is at least a 9.6. Taking a wait and see with it, and I can't imagine the price on it ever going down by much. It's one of the ultimate status / bragging rights books

Which is why I hate that I sold one of my 9.8's. I still have one of my 9.8's but to have two would have been awesome :)

For that kind of cabbage, no way I would buy a raw copy.

But that's me.

Normally I would agree. But in more than the past year there have only been 5 slabbed copies publicly sold. And no 9.8's in over 2 years. I'm assuming some are now preferring to roll the dice on raw copy at this point then wait for an uber-high grade slab with a cost prohibitive price tag.

-J.

That is exactly what I was thinking when I bought a raw copy, described as 9.2. I was lucky however, my copy looked much nicer than expected when it arrived and I don't think I will pursue a higher grade copy as I am not into this for trade. However, I would never have paid the $1475 which is currently being offered. It seems for once I bought a copy in time (did I ever mention I was negotiating about an IH#1 CGC 8.0 at the time the 9.2 was sold for 320k? That basically ended my aspirations for a higher grade full run of IH)

For that kind of cabbage, no way I would buy a raw copy.

But that's me.

Normally I would agree. But in more than the past year there have only been 5 slabbed copies publicly sold. And no 9.8's in over 2 years. I'm assuming some are now preferring to roll the dice on raw copy at this point then wait for an uder-high grade slab with a cost prohibitive price tag.

-J.

honestly… I'm keeping my copy… even if they sell at 2k raw… I really like it and it appears there are not as many graded vs other rare variants…

Top Modern(ridiculously low PR variants)

667 Dell'Otto:17 total; 11 9.8, 10/11

678 MJ/Venom:82 total; 21 9.8, 3/12

1 Wolvie/Deadpool:132 total; 52 9.8, 11/10

another pic of my baby girl...image_zpsa9cd4844.jpg

Edited by Snikt!1988

-J.

Which is why I hate that I sold one of my 9.8's. I still have one of my 9.8's but to have two would have been awesome :)

That's a really nice looking copy snikt. The browns look rich.

The three book lot with the dell'otto and the superman ended up closing at over $2350. That same raw dell'otto sold for $550 about a year ago. Figure it's about a $650 book now. Figure the 678 at about $1300, with the balance attributed to the superman. Not bad for a set of three raw moderns.

Anyone care to hazard a guess on what the current FMV might be for a slabbed 9.8 blue label 678 right now?

-J.

Top Modern(ridiculously low PR variants)

667 Dell'Otto:17 total; 11 9.8, 10/11

678 MJ/Venom:82 total; 21 9.8, 3/12

1 Wolvie/Deadpool:132 total; 52 9.8, 11/10

There was another thread not long ago where the top modern books were discussed. It was actually a pretty interesting to see the discussion. The Dell' Otto, MJ, and Wolvie were on the list, but there were other modern books with lower census numbers.

That is a fun thread, a good thing that I only collect Amazing Spider-Man and have refrained from all other spin-offs. I just bought a ASM700 Quesada B&W. Maybe not so expensive but a gorgeous cover IMHO.