• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

"unpleasantness is not bullying. Meanness is not bullying. Criticism is not bullying. Challenging people's opinions is not bullying. Being a jerk is not bullying. Being a dooshbag is not bullying."

Unless it's like 10 guys doing it-especially if to a new guy-then it's bullying.

What?

So 9 people, treating a new person as you described doesn't count.

10 people and a vet? hm

Are any of them 'aware'?

Mutual funds are long term. Yes market is high. But would put my mutual funds against what ever comic collection you have anyday. Let's see who gets money

Put your money where your mouth is, windbag!

Gauntlet thrown!

How fast can you sell that book? All I have to do is push a button on my computer and or walk into a metals dealer and I have instant money, Or call my broker!

If I need cash I have it right now. if the economy tanks, I can sell precious metals. If the stock market is good, then I can sell my stocks. When the economy crashes. Who the heck is going to buy a comic book? If you have a daughter or son who needs medical attention and you have comic books to sell? You have to find a buyer... I can sell my metals, sell my mutual funds, sell my stock, take my money out of savings, faster then you can list that on comic connection.

You want to toss a gauntlet? Call me a windbag?

Do what I just did with thoes books In a critical situation? Go back to the economy 2008-2009 and sell thoes books! I made money on metals then when my mutual funds fell. And I bought in low on the market with mutual funds that year. I am one of these windbags that bought Ford stock when it was $1.43. I sold it at $17.00 last year. Buy low sell high.

I never said comics are not a investment. I have books that are rare too. But I buy them for me.

Have a good day

Mutual funds are long term. Yes market is high. But would put my mutual funds against what ever comic collection you have anyday. Let's see who gets money

Put your money where your mouth is, windbag!

Gauntlet thrown!

How fast can you sell that book? All I have to do is push a button on my computer and or walk into a metals dealer and I have instant money, Or call my broker!

If I need cash I have it right now. if the economy tanks, I can sell precious metals. If the stock market is good, then I can sell my stocks. When the economy crashes. Who the heck is going to buy a comic book? If you have a daughter or son who needs medical attention and you have comic books to sell? You have to find a buyer... I can sell my metals, sell my mutual funds, sell my stock, take my money out of savings, faster then you can list that on comic connection.

You want to toss a gauntlet? Call me a windbag?

Do what I just did with thoes books In a critical situation? Go back to the economy 2008-2009 and sell thoes books! I made money on metals then when my mutual funds fell. And I bought in low on the market with mutual funds that year. I am one of these windbags that bought Ford stock when it was $1.43. I sold it at $17.00 last year. Buy low sell high.

I never said comics are not a investment. I have books that are rare too. But I buy them for me.

Have a good day

So let me get this straight. You said: Yes market is high. But would put my mutual funds against what ever comic collection you have anyday. Let's see who gets money

I respond with a picture of a small hoard of a book that I feel may appreciate more than any of your mutual funds. I may have also called you a windbag.

You respond with: Stocks are more liquid and I made money on metals while stocks dipped in 2009 (Didnt the metals dip also?). You also bring up one example of Ford stock. I could also bring up the 7 bagger I have currently going in SPWR, but for that one home run I've also struck out several times. At this point we are cherry picking data.

Here's my respsonse: You said your stocks will outperform my comics. This is a comic book chat forum. I'm not going to go on the Yahoo Ford stock chat board and tell everybody to buy GSX #1 or Forever People #1, but I might do it tomorrow if I'm feeling frisky. And I really don't care what you did with the metals in 2009 or how much money you made on Ford stock. I'd just like for you to name one investment now that will outperform my stack of Forever People #1's moving forward. In 6-12 months maybe we can reinvigorate this thread and you can tell me how brilliant you are and how big of a spoon I am.

So your argument is buy low and sell high, then you go on to suggest buying mutual funds while the stock market is at an all time high?

I suggested spending money in better ways, you attacked me. I made a point on how I look at things. You getting upset and name calling on a message board suggests that I may have made a valid point. I am going to take this no further, so please continue to name call and chat on this matter. You will only be talking with yourself.

Planning on going to Comic Con? We can meet and chat then if you would like?

PS. My Metals went to all time high in 2011-2013

Edited by Wampler

So your argument is buy low and sell high, then you go on to suggest buying mutual funds while the stock market is at an all time high?

I suggested spending money in better ways, you attacked me. I made a point on how I look at things. You getting upset and name calling on a message board suggests that I may have made a valid point. I am going to take this no further, so please continue to name call and chat on this matter. You will only be talking with yourself.

2013 was an awful year to be in metals, but I'm sure you meant you made money by buying put options on all of the precious metal ETFs.

Look, I have no problem with stocks. But if you are going to come to a comic book chat forum and tell everyone how stupid they are for buying comics and how brilliant you are for buying stocks at least have the cajones to name one stock or one mutual fund that you think can outperform my stack of FP 1's.

Edited by blazincomics

Financial reality information and fiscal advice is unwelcome by many on these boards and in fact will be countered with belittling and hurtful insults as I discovered first hand when I attempted to steer beginning collectors away from slabbing modern issues and concentrate on comics that may have long term staying power such as golden age.

At this point in time NO comics printed from 1975 on (modern era) should be considered for long term 30 year investments, if we happen to live that long and nothing happens to our collection during that time we may be fortunate to sell the moderns at profit then, but to count on it is very unwise.

99.5% of comics are a very fun collectables at this time but not an investment for the long term future.