• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Back in the mid 1960's Archie comics tried a little unsucessfully to revive their Golden Age MLJ characters. Some of them appeared in Archie titles or their own. They even invented some new ones. Trouble was, Archie readers didn't care. This is the only non-comic item I know of with the reboot of MLJ characters. It is dated 1966. It is a standard roll the dice and move to the finish line game. Not rare, but I don't see it too often.

superherogame1_zpsgswvhve2.jpg

superherogame2_zps4hvaveja.jpg

The second one of these I have seen on the Boards ( :hi: Hepcat) and the first time I've seen the playing surface.

Yes, a little underwhelming, but I still want one!

I am amused by the characters' names on the box, obviously done by someone with just a passing knowledge of the MLJ line - "Mr Jag" ,"Mr Steel" - or maybe s/he just ran out of room on the box. hm

Back in the mid 1960's Archie comics tried a little unsucessfully to revive their Golden Age MLJ characters. Some of them appeared in Archie titles or their own. They even invented some new ones. Trouble was, Archie readers didn't care. This is the only non-comic item I know of with the reboot of MLJ characters. It is dated 1966. It is a standard roll the dice and move to the finish line game. Not rare, but I don't see it too often.

The second one of these I have seen on the Boards ( :hi: Hepcat) and the first time I've seen the playing surface.

I am amused by the characters' names on the box, obviously done by someone with just a passing knowledge of the MLJ line - "Mr Jag" ,"Mr Steel" - or maybe s/he just ran out of room on the box. hm

I don't remember seeing a Fox story in the silver age. Where did it appear? How about the Shadow? Archie also published his stories and threw in an extra pair of boots.

I don't remember seeing a Fox story in the silver age. Where did it appear? How about the Shadow? Archie also published his stories and threw in an extra pair of boots.

Don't have a scan of my copy , but Mighty Crusaders #4 re-introduced a heap of MLJ characters, and "The Fox" was one of those revived.

It was also one of the comics I bought from the newsstands at the time, and while even then I had a passing knowledge of DC and Marvel characters I'd never heard of any of these guys, new old or otherwise.

Wanting to learn more about all of them probably helped drive the "collector bug".

As to Archie's "Shadow", he didn't appear as one of Archie's "ultraheroes" (Gawd that name is so twee) but he did get his own title, and demonstrated in the space of eight short issues that the Archie mob did not have a clue when it came to Lamont Cranston.

Truly an awful, so-bad-it's-good run that I am proud to say I have completed :acclaim:

Hi Robot Man

Out of curiosity do you have a Superman Krypto Ray Gun? Gotta love those atomic era ray guns.

Why as a matter of fact, I do. I'll try and dig it out this weekend when I have a few minutes and post it. (One of my favorite Superman items!) Stay tuned...

Awesome, I look forward to seeing it.

And, because I was asked. Here is the 1940 Superman Krypto Ray Gun in the original box. Although not all that hard to find if you have deep pockets, one of the coolest Superman pieces! (I have always wanted to upgrade, but this will have to do until I get lucky...)

supermankryptoray1a_zpswy8sonwx.jpg

supermankryptoray2a_zpsdaadp0hz.jpg

Just gotta take a second to remember Mr. Spock. Rest in Peace Mr Nimoy! Thanks for the memories!

startrekgame_zpshadenq4i.jpg

I remember,just now,playing my Dads game as a kid.Better call grandma and see if she still has it...

I played this one last night with my daughter. I fought to be Spock, she was Kirk and won...

Just gotta take a second to remember Mr. Spock. Rest in Peace Mr Nimoy! Thanks for the memories!

startrekgame_zpshadenq4i.jpg

I remember,just now,playing my Dads game as a kid.Better call grandma and see if she still has it...

I played this one last night with my daughter. I fought to be Spock, she was Kirk and won...

Big smiles here! :)

I've a Gone with the Wind game my wife has been on me to play with her...maybe tonight.(She will definitely win)

And, because I was asked. Here is the 1940 Superman Krypto Ray Gun in the original box. Although not all that hard to find if you have deep pockets, one of the coolest Superman pieces! (I have always wanted to upgrade, but this will have to do until I get lucky...)

supermankryptoray1a_zpswy8sonwx.jpg

supermankryptoray2a_zpsdaadp0hz.jpg

Thankyou. With the box and everything!!

It was a cold and rainy weekend so I did some box diving in the house. I delved into one of my favorite publishers Fiction house or as I like to call them "Friction House". I have a ton of them. I mostly collect them for covers or Matt Baker art. I'm pretty complete as far as I want to go. I'm still missing some Jumbos to finish off the Baker run. I need quite a few Planets as well and just buy any I don't have. I might start on some of the real early ones that I don't have now. I think I will post my favorite cover in each main title.

Here is a cool ad I found in a 1940's magazine advertising "The Big Six"

fictionhousead_zpsc2cdas9i.jpg

First up is Jumbo. Other than the Baker strip probably one of my least favorite titles but still a ton of good stuff. Lot going on here. What is with the Skeleton and what is the gorilla hand coming toward her? The big gorilla is an on going thing but I I like this one for the colors (and Sheena's looking good too...)

comjumbo99_zpsp8zvhetp.jpg

While were are in the jungle... Here is my favorite Jungle. Love the bondage and witch doctor. And you are going to hear me say this a lot on these. The color is beautiful! Friction House was cheap and ran their ink fountains way down to save money. This is why you see so many "faded" ones. You want to find covers printed early in the runs to get the best colors.

comjungle77_zpsmtp9kqbc.jpg