• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunday Comics and dailies
4 4

388 posts in this topic

Btw, you can hear those Jungle Jim radio shows at the OTR Library just click on Jungle Jim towards the bottom :)

Thanks Scrooge. I don't think I have listened to Jungle Jim before. I am a fan of the Shadow, Green Hornet, Lone Ranger, Superman, I Love a Mystery and Buck Rogers radio shows. They have the Buck's origin story in the OTR library.

I love the early Buck Rogers Sunday pages but mostly have those and the dailies in reprint volumes.

4441318277_03a113f81e_b.jpg

Hey kids,what time is it?

It's obscure 1950's comic strip time!

The Howdy Doody Sunday strip ran from 1950-53. It was drawn by Chad Grothkopf and Stan Lee did some scripting on it. Like so many other obscure, weird 50's strips, these are great fun to collect and rather hard to find.

Here's my only Doody Sunday - from March 11, 1951. I found it on the reverse of a Pogo tab I had:

IMAG0136.jpg

Hey kids,what time is it?

It's obscure 1950's comic strip time!

The Howdy Doody Sunday strip ran from 1950-53. It was drawn by Chad Grothkopf and Stan Lee did some scripting on it. Like so many other obscure, weird 50's strips, these are great fun to collect and rather hard to find.

Here's my only Doody Sunday - from March 11, 1951. I found it on the reverse of a Pogo tab I had:

IMAG0136.jpg

Chad drew some early DC comics as well.

14562749983_c7ee564274_b.jpg

Dan Gormley did Doody books and stories. I have a few pages from coloring books. He also did many of the Duck covers like FC 178.

14513390246_a080bd54b1_b.jpg

4399400007_d12f69e08f_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

14535999222_fa91654164_b.jpg

I found this ad in my beat up copy of Superman 22. It is a pretty good comic with some nice ads. I kind of wonder about the Superman book. The art doesn't look like Shuster's work to me. Anyone have an idea who did it?

14519411245_ea9c8eab97_b.jpg

14519411465_1b341ae501_b.jpg

14332767310_d5f90fa908_b.jpg

Not my book and the scans were posted on ebay and other places.

I was wondering whether Keaton's art was used for the pictures. It actually reminds me of Voight's work or Howard Sherman's Slam Bradley.

Edited by BB-Gun

Picked up a bunch of Spirit sections, all from the Sunday Compass, a leftist newspaper published in New York City from 1949 - 52. These are from 1950.

mmm025.jpg

mmm026.jpg

Besides being in nice condition, these sections all have a major bonus: they feature Jules Feiffer's great strip, Clifford, on the back page. Feiffer was only 18 when he did these. I love the way the strip captures the feel of a 50's New York tenement childhood of candy stores, back lot baseball games and cowboy heroes.

mmm002.jpg

mmm012.jpg

:bump:

Lost my comic collection recently in a fire - sigh - so it's time to get back on the horse. I've picked up a few Sunday strips already.

White Boy by Garret Price. This classic 1930's adventure strip about an orphan boy taken in by an Indian tribe in the Old West sure didn't look like anything else in the Sunday comics.

IMG_0054.jpg

Little Nemo from 1935 by Winsor McCay's son Robert.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Continuing the Sunday surrealism, I also snagged a couple of primo Hejji pages by Dr. Suess (1935).

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Finally here's one for porcupine, a 1935 Felix with a Laura topper.

IMG_0052.jpg

Lost my comic collection recently in a fire - sigh - so it's time to get back on the horse. I've picked up a few Sunday strips already.

White Boy by Garret Price. This classic 1930's adventure strip about an orphan boy taken in by an Indian tribe in the Old West sure didn't look like anything else in the Sunday comics.

Oh no! :cry: I really feel for you.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Love those pages. Felix and Dr. Seuss are a winning pair. :banana:

I lost part of my collection in a fire at my mother's house where I was storing some comics many years ago. Those that were stored in a cedar chest survived and are still high grade. Back then I just stored everything on a shelf. Fortunately, I have replaced the damaged books (mostly silver age) and I didn't have any golden age in that group. :frustrated:

Edited by BB-Gun

16231148031_1549569908_b.jpg

I just realized that the first Superman Sunday strip was just a teaser. The actual first strip gave a more succinct origin and not as good as the daily pages.

The origin was rehashed for Sunday pages several years later.

Sorry about the loss.

You've got a nice start on a new collection. :applause:

IMG_0054.jpg

Little Nemo from 1935 by Winsor McCay's son Robert.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Continuing the Sunday surrealism, I also snagged a couple of primo Hejji pages by Dr. Suess (1935).

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

On Sundays, I like to read whatever new additions I've made to my Sunday comics collection. Today, it's my latest Spirit tab. This one is part of the "Jewel of Gizeh" sequence, with a classic "cover."

IMG_0066.jpg