• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

And here's HOM 47: ( I have maybe 65-70 more from the mid-to late-1950s and many early 1960s. I prefer to keep these books ungraded as I like to read them now and then.. And When I've taken them to shows, dealers aren't interested at all or offer me almost nothing claiming they don't sell. Who cares? I love them and I'm more than happy to keep them.)

HouseofMystery47-1_zps848578b5.jpg

And here's HOM 47: ( I have maybe 65-70 more from the mid-to late-1950s and many early 1960s. I prefer to keep these books ungraded as I like to read them now and then.. And When I've taken them to shows, dealers aren't interested at all or offer me almost nothing claiming they don't sell. Who cares? I love them and I'm more than happy to keep them.)

HouseofMystery47-1_zps848578b5.jpg

Both beautiful copies! I managed to complete HOM from 1 to 135. Many early issues are in the VGF to FN catagory. But I have picked up some of the nicer pedigree issues in the last few years. Pickings are slim right now for chose better than average copies.

True 'nuff -- DC fantasy has never had the mass appeal of the Atlas horror or Marvel monster titles. Here's a neat "before and after" shot that reinforces your point, Steven. The "before" point was VCC-28 where I was offering these up with raw grades of FN/VF (#69), VF (#74), FN (#75), FN/VF (#78), VF (#91), VF- (#98), FN/VF to VF- (#101), FN/VF (#102), VF (#103), VF (#106), VF/NM to NM- (#112), and VF- (#114), respectively:

th_HOM69.jpg th_HOM74-RC.jpg th_HOM75-BA.jpg th_HOM78.jpg th_HOM91.jpg

th_HOM98.jpg th_HOM101.jpg th_HOM102.jpg th_HOM103.jpg th_HOM106.jpg th_HOM112.jpg th_HOM114.jpg

All I received was a couple of silly low-ball offers. No problem, I'll just send 'em on a short vacation to sunny Florida. Here's the "after" point (wait for it) ......

True 'nuff -- DC fantasy has never had the mass appeal of the Atlas horror or Marvel monster titles. Here's a neat "before and after" shot that reinforces your point, Steven. The "before" point was VCC-28 where I was offering these up with raw grades of FN/VF (#69), VF (#74), FN (#75), FN/VF (#78), VF (#91), VF- (#98), FN/VF to VF- (#101), FN/VF (#102), VF (#103), VF (#106), VF/NM to NM- (#112), and VF- (#114), respectively:

th_HOM69.jpg th_HOM74-RC.jpg th_HOM75-BA.jpg th_HOM78.jpg th_HOM91.jpg

th_HOM98.jpg th_HOM101.jpg th_HOM102.jpg th_HOM103.jpg th_HOM106.jpg th_HOM112.jpg th_HOM114.jpg

All I received was a couple of silly low-ball offers. No problem, I'll just send 'em on a short vacation to sunny Florida. Here's the "after" point (wait for it) ......

I saw those Jay and wanted some. Just couldn't pull the trigger at that time :cry:

I truly appreciate the pass, Jeff! lol(worship) My #112 is the only 10-cent era HOM ever to be certified as a CGC 9.8. :o

HOM%20112-98.jpg

:acclaim::acclaim::acclaim:

Amazing! This is some copy!! I'm always amazed that someone kept a book in that condition for over fifty years in an era in which comic readers and collectors weren't interested in maintaining the structural integrity of the books. Love your HOM collection! I have many of these same copies in great shape as well and someday I'll get around to scanning them. It just takes so much time. :applause::applause:

Edited by Stevenrams

I truly appreciate the pass, Jeff! lol(worship) My #112 is the only 10-cent era HOM ever to be certified as a CGC 9.8. :o

HOM%20112-98.jpg

:acclaim::acclaim::acclaim:

OMG, Jay what a terrific batch of books. A few I could use for my collection. :baiting: A 9.8 HOM....whatttt....

Very revealing that dealers were not interested in your HOM at all , I was thinking about collecting them and I still probably will but with the knowledge that they will be financial loss, I still think they have a very high percentage of totally fantastic covers throughout the entire run

Here's HOM 41. I was told this was DC's first Dinosaur cover.

hm

SA41-70-TC.jpg

SA11-RC.jpg

:foryou:

Well blow me away. For those of you who collect Str. Advt., know how tough number 41 is in grade. Usually, the blue is faded out. Also, a spectacular copy of # 11.

Here's HOM 41. I was told this was DC's first Dinosaur cover.

hm

SA41-70-TC.jpg

SA11-RC.jpg

:foryou:

Well blow me away. For those of you who collect Str. Advt., know how tough number 41 is in grade. Usually, the blue is faded out. Also, a spectacular copy of # 11.

..... I don't technically collect them.... but it's a title I always liked.... and I don't believe I've ever seen in SA 41 in almost 50 years of collecting. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Some fresh slabs just back. The MGA 12 is just a mind blowing copy. Picked it up at a San Diego show in the late 90's.

photo MGA 12_zpsrhaif74c.jpg

photo TALES UNEXPECT 27_zpsfplh9art.jpg

Edited by RICK STARR

Hi, guys, I have been loving all these pics, these titles, along with TOTU, MIS, and some of the superhero (JLA, GL, Rip, COTU) are the very heart of my collection, thanks! I would love to post up some from my collection, but need guidance as I am new to this. First, how does one post pics here? Consider that I know NOTHING about how to do this from either putting them up here or putting them on another site and hot-linking them here. Second, I have some decent runs from these titles, many are not in the best of shape, others are pretty good, would you guys want to see them all, warts and all, or just the nice ones? Finally, I have never scanned any books, and I have a Mac mini, any suggestions on how to go about doing that from buying a proper scanner to the ways to save and share them would be most helpful. Thanks again for the great pics!