• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forum delayed posting and loading issues
2 2

1,070 posts in this topic

Anyone else notice this over the past three to four weeks?

I just caught this when noting some of the browser messages that come up at the bottom of the page during those load delays.

There's been a lag every since the ebay ads arrived.

Yes. But it has gotten worse over the past three to four weeks. Like something was implemented that appears to impact post and load timing.

I've noticed it with IE, switched to Chrome and experienced the same slightly delay, and then tried Firefox and it got slightly better. But all three had some form of delay.

You'll see a message at the bottom of your browser stating something like 'Waiting on ADN.ebay' or 'Waiting on rover.ebay' or 'Waiting on boards.collectors-society' and then it finally loads the page.

Hey, I did just notice something when I posted.

When I entered 'Waiting on rover.ebay' and didn't modify 'rover' with black text, it actually responded back with a different message.

EXAMPLE:

waiting on outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay

'Waiting on outside-affiatelinkisnotallowed.ebay' - What does that mean?

outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed

:o

Even when you enter the word 'rover' without modifying the text, it modifies it to 'outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed'.

Did someone make a mistake with auto-detect masking?

You know what's weird? My kudos page link works great in my posts and in my profile editor, but in pms it takes you to ebay's front page! If you look at the source, in that instance it has an ebay outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed tag added to the link that's not present in the coding of my link ???

You know what's weird? My kudos page link works great in my posts and in my profile editor, but in pms it takes you to ebay's front page! If you look at the source, in that instance it has an ebay outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed tag added to the link that's not present in the coding of my link ???

I think that flaw is in the php coding when it's trying to resize itself in PM format. Because your links are structured the way it is, when it reconstructs, it gets something switched around.

Are you saying the link in your sig line shows up? I've never seen any sort of sig in a pm. ???

I think that flaw is in the php coding when it's trying to resize itself in PM format. Because your links are structured the way it is, when it reconstructs, it gets something switched around.

That flaw has been happening for years. I asked Arch about it and they couldn't fix it.

That flaw has been happening for years. I asked Arch about it and they couldn't fix it.

PHP coding is a royal pain in the back end, it's just worth putting up with some things then tearing something apart lol

PHP coding is a royal pain in the back end, it's just worth putting up with some things then tearing something apart lol

What does that Ebay rover message mean, though? Can that lead to a callout to Ebay's system, leading to a delay here while waiting for a response back?

No idea, but here is a quote, just for fun

outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed: eBay Global Tracking Update

Introduction

The eBay Affiliate Program is excited to announce the release of our re-architected affiliate tracking infrastructure, termed Project outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed. Project outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed is eBay’s new HTML tracking methodology that has been built in coordination with Commission Junction. Utilizing a single redirect on an eBay hosted domain (http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com), outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed will decrease the number of redirects a user must follow and allow for a more robust and efficient affiliate program. In order to take advantage of the benefits this initiative creates, we are asking all eBay publishers to migrate your links and URL format (i.e. click-through URLs) as outlined below. While we realize this will involve some time commitment from you, we are confident that taking these steps will lead to more effective affiliate marketing campaigns for all eBay publishers. We’ve outlined the steps below that will help you migrate to the new link architecture as quickly and effortlessly as possible. And as always, we are here to help you should you have any questions: http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum.jspa?forumID=118.

Project outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed Overview

Project outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed has been designed to work seamlessly with the Commission Junction interface, increase the effectiveness of our affiliate’s marketing campaigns, and will be rolled out to all countries.

Benefits of the new link structure include:

Reduced Ad / Cookie Blocking: outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed decreases the potential for Ad / Cookie Blocking by utilizing an eBay hosted domain.

Limited Redirects: outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed will use fewer redirects reducing the risk of user drop off and improving speed and performance.

Global Infrastructure Improvements: outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed will enable eBay and Commission Junction to develop increased global tracking capabilities, allowing for more seamless international affiliate promotions.

Please note: With respect to Commission Junction’s LMI initiative, eBay publishers do not have to migrate to CJ’s new link structure. All eBay publishers should instead adopt Project outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed for all eBay links. All current reporting capabilities will remain supported upon migration.

Migration Steps and Schedules

Pre-Migration

To help our publishers receive the benefits of project outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed as quickly as possible, we will be conducting a “Pre-Migration”. Pre-Migration will incorporate the initial phase of outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed tracking into the current eBay Affiliate Program infrastructure. You do not need to do anything to participate in outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed Pre-Migration but you may see minor fluctuations, especially in your click metrics, during this transition. Pre-migration will occur worldwide beginning September 14th, 2006 and will rollout on a country by country basis.

Affiliate Link Migration

To complete your transition for Project outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed, we ask that you migrate all eBay Affiliate Links through Commission Junction worldwide to point to the new outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed domain. Using the link structure below, please migrate all of your links between September 25th, 2006 and November 15th, 2006.

Banners, Buttons and Logos: All active Banners, Buttons and Logos will be available within the Commission Junction interface on September 25th, 2006. Please note that expired creatives will not be available in the interface.

Flexible Destination Tool and Keyword Linking Tool: Link generation tools will output updated outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed links by September 22nd, 2006.

eBay Tools: eBay specific tools, including the Editor Kit, Product Kit, RSS Feed Generator and the Rest API GetSearchResults call, will automatically update to outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed links beginning on September 22nd, 2006. No affiliate action is needed for these tools!

Both the current and new outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed systems will run in parallel during the migration. All links must be migrated by November 15th, 2006.

outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed Link Structure

All outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed URLs will use the same server name, outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com, regardless of the target destination domain or eBay site.

The general form for outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed links is as follows:

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/1//1?SID...XXX&loc=TARGET ENCODED URL

(PlacementID) and AID pair: The PlacementID and AID pair is a country and tool specific value that associates the click with the correct eBay Affiliate Campaign.

The PlacementID and AID for each country will be provided in our follow up communication on September 25th.

PID: Publisher Site ID available in the Commission Junction Interface.

SID: Shopper ID (SID) is an affiliate defined variable used to monitor the specific link that produced each transaction. The SID can be up to 64 characters and is URL-encoded (%20 for a space, %2E for a comma, etc).

loc: Target URL or landing page where user will be directed and must be URL-encoded (ex: http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2F).

We appreciate your efforts in helping us improve the eBay Affiliate Program’s tracking system and are excited about the benefits it will provide. Thank you for continuing to promote in all of our eBay Affiliate Programs worldwide.

Sincerely,

The eBay Affiliate Team

I get the same thing. I took out the link to my ebay page and it seem to fix it.

I think I've figured it out....

CGC uses filters for keeping unwanted links out, sometimes the way it's structured isn't bracketed properly and causes the filter to switch to defaults.

Look at the spoiler for examples

Are you saying the link in your sig line shows up? I've never seen any sort of sig in a pm. ???

Yeah, weird huh? I didn't notice the sig line in my pms until recently either...didn't think it was there before.

• Administrator
It has to be something with those Ebay ads, and the board software trying to convert any posts to support those links.

Hi,

Yes, we might have some recent performance issues. It is unlikely to be related to any of those ads.

You may notice this line at the bottom of the boards:

Generated in 1.765 seconds in which 1.756 seconds were spent on a total of 9 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Whenever that second measurement in seconds is large, it's evident that the database is the bottleneck.

I'm guessing that for most of you, the experience is that sometimes the pages load quickly, and sometimes they load slowly. I'm also guessing that when you get a slow loading page, that second measurement is big and the first measurement is only fractions of a second bigger.

Ergo, database.

Please let me know if that's not your experience. I might be wrong.

We're looking into it.