• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,493 posts in this topic

It's not the condition I usually go for, but Ragnarok might come around before I find one better. The only romance grey tone, or close to it.

[snip]

Baker went through a brief period, roughly coinciding with Diary Secrets 11 through 13, where he experimented with a "stipple" effect... often referred to as "grey tone". He also used the same effect, around the same time, on some of the Fightin' Marine covers, and probably on a few other St. John titles I can't recall at the moment.

Do these count?

ds13_zps81b781ae.jpg

He did do this Fighting Marines cover and by the way, is that a Joyce Kaltenbach book. She also signed a Suspense 3 and 4.

11953946786_ee381c7955_b.jpg

2232178084_2d89617cdc_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

August 4th, 2013

Culture and Thrills Inc./DTA Collectibles is proud to present the Southern States Collection. This 1,700 piece original owner collection was accumulated by an American soldier who purchased magazines, pulps and comic books directly off the newsstands of several southern states during his time in the military in the 1940's and 1950's.

This accumulation of material has never been released into the hobby as it was kept in the possession of a relative of the soldier until early 2013. The 1,700 piece collection consists of roughly one-third comic books and two-thirds magazines, pulps and digests. Even more exciting is that nearly every piece of this massive collection is a first issue!

The comic books in the Southern States collection focus on the romance, war, crime, western and funny animal genres with some horror and superhero titles as well. Plenty of very rare titles are included as well as some issues that are not documented in the Overstreet Price Guide!

The magazine and pulps are breathtaking with heavy emphasis on Men's Adventure, Girlie, Glamour, War and Movie/TV. Lots of very rare pulps are represented and many of the great artists of the time contribute to the visually arresting covers on these classic and rarely seen periodicals.

The condition is astounding considering the collection had to be moved when the original owner got a new assignment. Almost every piece of the collecion is a crisp copy with a glossy cover and nice pages. Many look like they could come off the newsstand today.

That is really cool, were there any St. John's in the mix?

August 4th, 2013

Culture and Thrills Inc./DTA Collectibles is proud to present the Southern States Collection. This 1,700 piece original owner collection was accumulated by an American soldier who purchased magazines, pulps and comic books directly off the newsstands of several southern states during his time in the military in the 1940's and 1950's.

This accumulation of material has never been released into the hobby as it was kept in the possession of a relative of the soldier until early 2013. The 1,700 piece collection consists of roughly one-third comic books and two-thirds magazines, pulps and digests. Even more exciting is that nearly every piece of this massive collection is a first issue!

The comic books in the Southern States collection focus on the romance, war, crime, western and funny animal genres with some horror and superhero titles as well. Plenty of very rare titles are included as well as some issues that are not documented in the Overstreet Price Guide!

The magazine and pulps are breathtaking with heavy emphasis on Men's Adventure, Girlie, Glamour, War and Movie/TV. Lots of very rare pulps are represented and many of the great artists of the time contribute to the visually arresting covers on these classic and rarely seen periodicals.

The condition is astounding considering the collection had to be moved when the original owner got a new assignment. Almost every piece of the collecion is a crisp copy with a glossy cover and nice pages. Many look like they could come off the newsstand today.

That is really cool, were there any St. John's in the mix?

I believe there was an All-True All-Picture Police Cases 1... or one of those 100 page rebound giants.

In other late breaking romance news

this Confession of the Loverlorn 53, one of the ACG Fab Freaky Four, closed on Ebay last night for $787.77. This price did not have sufficient participation to sustain in the future...possibly. By that I mean 2 guys took it to that level, the bunch below them dropping away at the low $300 range. Still, impressive. and great news to those lucky enough to already own an issue. You know who you are. :baiting:

Confessions0ftheLovelorn53fc72_Ebay_zpskoho6n51.jpg

It's back up on ebay from the same seller, now with added description of two 1/2" tears at the staples. Looks like the buyer last time was expecting something a little nicer, or had buyer's remorse. Anyway, another chance to own it for those of you still looking.

Plus a slight crease down the center and there's paper loss at the top of the spine bc. More than a chip less than a chunk.

The 3.5 slab goes off on CL in less than 4 hours. Flip from November $240. Now at $130. This slab has been around for 10 years. There is a 6.0 that just got slabbed 2 months ago - I would say this book is the real deal, if recent grading standards have tightened up and I think they have. Perhaps this submit was triggered by the nice sale of a 53 back in June '14. I'd say there's a 70/30 chance the 6.0 is not a private submit and will make its way to auction this year. Not mine, I wish, have never owned a copy.

Obviously the ACG Fab Four are hotter than a pistol now, but in general romance is stirring. When Vinnie Z makes a reference to the relative scarcity of romance in copy for a Real Facts ashcan, I notice these apparently unrelated things. Blissard got great results on Ebay 2 weeks back with a nice 60+ book lot of mostly Atlas, and got a big number last weekend on a really beat up stained Fox that went for $203.

MyExperience19f_blissard02222015_zpsnzda8c6f.jpg

MyExperience19b_blissard02222015_zps9vkyzng0.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

I just won the book on feebay...$257.32...that's a long ways from $787+ last time...I told you guys I'd get it... lol:cool:

That's a $530 savings...do I know how to shop or what? :roflmao: Hopefully there will be no hidden defects that make me regret my buy... :o

Edited by tricolorbrian

I just won the book on feebay...$257.32...that's a long ways from $787+ last time...I told you guys I'd get it... lol:cool:

That's a $530 savings...do I know how to shop or what? :roflmao: Hopefully there will be no hidden defects that make me regret my buy... :o

Congrats! I'm sure it will be fine, the book appears to have decent eye-appeal whatever the actual grade is.