• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS #1

967 posts in this topic

Over the last few months I think I've seen 9 more 9.8's added to the census. I'd think more would have popped up by now. Yet I have not watched the 9.6 numbers, they may increase a bunch.

9 new 9.8's were been added between January 6 and February 17, 2015. That's an average of nearly 2 a week.

And that's even before the fake price spike.

This common book is neither "rare" nor "tough" in a 9.8.

-J.

Over the last few months I think I've seen 9 more 9.8's added to the census. I'd think more would have popped up by now. Yet I have not watched the 9.6 numbers, they may increase a bunch.

9 new 9.8's were been added between January 6 and February 17, 2015. That's an average of nearly 2 a week.

-J.

See, I knew I'd get some clarity. Two a week for a book from 1977 is quite a bit.

Thanks Jay, I wasn't sure how long ago I looked at the census.

-J.

See, I knew I'd get some clarity. Two a week for a book from 1977 is quite a bit.

Thanks Jay, I wasn't sure how long ago I looked at the census.

Compared to bona fide bronze age keys, yes the book is very common in a 9.8, and about to get much more common, no doubt.

I did an analysis of the point a few pages back. (thumbs u

-J.

Love this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-2-3-46-77-Lot-Of-5-Jul-1977-Marvel-8-5-VF-High-Grade-Nice-/171687681242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f9621cda

Crappy photo... Check!

Failure to identify reprints... Check!

Probable non-paying bidder... Check!

When did 8.5 become 'high grade'?

VF and above used to be high-grade across the board. Now, if it's modern and not 9.8, it's not high grade; if it's Copper or Bronze and not 9.6, it's not HG; if it's Silver and not 9.4, it's not HG; if it's Gold, NOW we are back into the VF range being HG...

(:

-slym

(thumbs u

You can stratify even further, for atomic age PCH 7.0 is HG lol

Love this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-2-3-46-77-Lot-Of-5-Jul-1977-Marvel-8-5-VF-High-Grade-Nice-/171687681242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f9621cda

Crappy photo... Check!

VF and above used to be high-grade across the board. Now, if it's modern and not 9.8, it's not high grade; if it's Copper or Bronze and not 9.6, it's not HG; if it's Silver and not 9.4, it's not HG; if it's Gold, NOW we are back into the VF range being HG...

(:

-slym

Being mostly a mid-grade SA collector myself..... why is this news to me? ???

I always heard (and thought) HG SA was 8.5+, but personally considered 9.0 to be the threshold of HG.

I supposed in the end it's one's personal decisions as to what is HG to them - like all grading is subjective too (even slabs - some 9.4 slabs have better eye appeal than other 9.4s).

But I guess I done just learnt muhsef sump'n today! :grin:

Did anyone catch what the SW #1 CGC 9.4 35C slab sold for on heritage including premium? Thanks.

The HA 9.4 copy went for $13,145.

The comic link 8.0 copy went for a strong $4,907.

As a side note the comic link regular 9.8 copy went for $1,500 (20% below the manipulated ebay auctions that reached "$1,875"), and copies are starting to appear on ebay at this particular price point now as well.

I am personally still seeing the real current FMV of around $1,000-$1,100 for the book, with those bogus ebay auctions removed from the equation.

-J.

Did anyone catch what the SW #1 CGC 9.4 35C slab sold for on heritage including premium? Thanks.

The HA 9.4 copy went for $13,145.

The comic link 8.0 copy went for a strong $4,907.

As a side note the comic link regular 9.8 copy went for $1,500 (20% below the manipulated ebay auctions that reached "$1,875"), and copies are starting to appear on ebay at this particular price point now as well.

I am personally still seeing the real current FMV of around $1,000-$1,100 for the book, with those bogus ebay auctions removed from the equation.

-J.

.... that's probably about right on typical copies.... exceptional QP may get a slight bump. I picked up one a while back @ $ 1500, knowing full well that it wouldn't qualify for a quick flip..... it just looks relatively cheap compared to other BA Keys (to me) and I'm trying to learn my lesson about the demand factor.... which my nose has been thoroughly rubbed in, regarding books such as NM 98..... a book I once claimed that anyone buying a copy @ $150+ was a melon head. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Love this auction:

Crappy photo... Check!

(:

Being mostly a mid-grade SA collector myself..... why is this news to me? ???

I always heard (and thought) HG SA was 8.5+, but personally considered 9.0 to be the threshold of HG.

I supposed in the end it's one's personal decisions as to what is HG to them - like all grading is subjective too (even slabs - some 9.4 slabs have better eye appeal than other 9.4s).

But I guess I done just learnt muhsef sump'n today! :grin:

Don't take my words as canon. Anything past moderns, I really have no idea if what I said is even true. I was trying to make a point and probably did so very badly.

:sorry:

-slym

-J.

pricing isn't always an escalator, sometimes it's a roller coaster. :)

I felt the way you do when this was happening to BA12, and I thought prices would come way down after everyone realized that these books are EVERYWHERE. but there is just so much focus on keys right now.

-J.

pricing isn't always an escalator, sometimes it's a roller coaster. :)

I felt the way you do when this was happening to BA12, and I thought prices would come way down after everyone realized that these books are EVERYWHERE. but there is just so much focus on keys right now.

Yup, prices for 9.8's will NEVER be below $1,000 now. SW #1 is now a key book Simply because it is the first Star Wars comic.

In the grand scheme of things.... 300 for a 9.4 isn't really THAT expensive. By the way.... another 9.8 sold for $ 1500 in the recent Clink auction.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u