• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Australian Original Art Scammer - Richard Rae
1 1

107 posts in this topic

Richard worked in advertising for Maher and Holmes, but after he was fired he went after some clients on his own including controversial Australian politician Pauline Hanson. Hanson was known for her far right, anti-multicultural views. Rae didn't last long in the role. Around 2009, some purported nude photos of Pauline Hanson surfaced, sold for $15,000 to the media. Richard starts giving interviews to the media that the photos were "real" and Hanson had "admitted it all" to him years before. The photos were later found to be as fake as much of Richard's original comic art and Richard's statements were "retracted"

47038_widenative-408x264.jpg

A few years earlier, Richard entirely funded a portal and publishing venture known as Home Grown Media and Art Banana by scamming ten of thousands of dollars from a businessman called Andrew Miles who never saw any return. Material that was published included golden age Oz artists Hal English, Stanley Pitt. There's also a Gully Foyle Stars My Destination reprint mentioned here . Rae seems to have been selling this English & Pitt stock on ebay for years with no payments going to any of the investors or artists or their families. Andrew Miles never got any of his money repaid from the failed portal or books.

I have at least one more post on a major scam involving (of all things) the Olympic Games and also details on Australian veteran comic artists who had their property stolen by Richard.

The Australian police are very aware of Richard's past activities and he has been arrested and jailed on numerous occasions. If you've been scammed by him, please report it to CrimeStoppers or the Australian police.

Edited by OperaHouseSydney

I suspect he actually enjoys all this attention. It fits the profile.

I think that's been the case in the past. However, in his last post here (which was mostly incoherent babblings, switching subjects mid-sentence) he came across as someone on the verge of a nervous breakdown (or mentally unstable).

He sounded really p-I-s-s-e-d that he lost distribution for his Unearth comic. A mess of his own making (how long did he expect to routinely rip people off and get away with it?).

I thought it was bad news when he cheated a friend of mine with his light-boxed artwork scam . . . but the more I'm hearing about him, the deeper his level of skulduggery goes.

It comes as no surprise to me to hear that he's spent time in jail. Bad news is that they ever let him out . . .

On 7/15/2020 at 5:09 PM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Very interesting article. I had heard bits and pieces of the 1986 Australian Comic Book Convention and knew Richard had worked with Peter Mitris. I didn't know about the drugs or the whole history of Peter Mitris. Most of the other stuff on Richard Rae I knew about, but not the nude pics of Pauline Hanson. Richard would pop up in previous comic art chat rooms (Yahoo, CAF ect). Originally as himself trying to sell Stanley Pitt art and inked copies as original Kirby art. Then later his "death" and him coming back under a new name. 

The Re-animated Corpse of Richard Rae will alway be around, just can not kill a sleeze bag like that.

Edited by Brian Peck

54 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Needless to say I didn't supply them.

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 8.53.49 AM.png

How could you EVER resist a "really extreamly (sic) nice thank you bonus package"?   It's chock full of adjectives. 

9 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

How could you EVER resist a "really extreamly (sic) nice thank you bonus package"?   It's chock full of adjectives. 

So what was the thank you gift . . . a No Prize . . . or a signed photo of Rascally Richard?

rich.jpg