• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,882 posts in this topic

So, even in today's market, is there any Dave item that would be considered "priceless"? Or, very hard to put a value on? Thoughts? Ideas? Something I need to sell a kidney to get? :D

I think "priceless" is in the eye of the beholder and the art's owner.

Some pieces are very special to their owners and can't be pried loose without moving heaven and earth.

However, not everyone has the same emotional attachment to their art. There are too many guys who play the "grailngone" game on CAF. One month they post their "grail" and then the next month it's "gone".

So I think it really depends on the owner whether a piece is priceless.

What other pieces does the estate have?

Back in 2008-9, I was collecting a lot of GGA and didn't yet have a Stevens example. A couple of friends connected with the Stevens market asked me what I'd be interested in, and I threw out the Airboy #5 cover, the Vanguard Illustrated #2 cover and the Vampirella: Transcending Time & Space TPB wraparound cover. I was told that the Airboy #5 and a number of unspecified other big pieces were still with the estate, the Vanguard #2 cover was presumed to be out in the wilderness somewhere and the Vampi was with a known collector who was close to Dave and not likely to ever sell it (it later showed up on CAF in 2010).

Apparently a lot of people thought the estate would be selling everything soon after Dave's passing, which turned out not to be the case. A lot of collectors apparently contacted the estate about buying art "with indecent haste", as my friend put it, after Dave's passing. I do know of at least one piece that left the estate since then, but I'm not sure how much else may or may not have. So, six years ago they still had the Airboy #5 and a lot of other great pieces, but I do not know the current status of their holdings.

The piece you are referring to as having left is a painting correct?

"Indecent haste" is a tricky thing to manage. If you believe that the estate will be selling well you don't want someone else to beat you to it (which is understandable) but of course you don't want to upset the family.

Buying from estates is tricky period. The family tends to think the items are either worthless or priceless, with very little in-between. You're either in a position of trying not to take advantage of them, or of trying not to be taken advantage of yourself.

What other pieces does the estate have?

Back in 2008-9, I was collecting a lot of GGA and didn't yet have a Stevens example. A couple of friends connected with the Stevens market asked me what I'd be interested in, and I threw out the Airboy #5 cover, the Vanguard Illustrated #2 cover and the Vampirella: Transcending Time & Space TPB wraparound cover. I was told that the Airboy #5 and a number of unspecified other big pieces were still with the estate, the Vanguard #2 cover was presumed to be out in the wilderness somewhere and the Vampi was with a known collector who was close to Dave and not likely to ever sell it (it later showed up on CAF in 2010).

Apparently a lot of people thought the estate would be selling everything soon after Dave's passing, which turned out not to be the case. A lot of collectors apparently contacted the estate about buying art "with indecent haste", as my friend put it, after Dave's passing. I do know of at least one piece that left the estate since then, but I'm not sure how much else may or may not have. So, six years ago they still had the Airboy #5 and a lot of other great pieces, but I do not know the current status of their holdings.

The piece you are referring to as having left is a painting correct?

"Indecent haste" is a tricky thing to manage. If you believe that the estate will be selling well you don't want someone else to beat you to it (which is understandable) but of course you don't want to upset the family.

Buying from estates is tricky period. The family tends to think the items are either worthless or priceless, with very little in-between. You're either in a position of trying not to take advantage of them, or of trying not to be taken advantage of yourself.

Very well said.

Looks like someone has the original concept art for 3-D Zone #16.

Dave Stevens' Layout for Space Vixens in 3-D

Dave Steven's layout for Space Vixens in 3-D. He sent this to me in 1988 to use as reference to shoot photographs for the finished work.

5757688299_34c5f98389_o.png

5757688455_126d2a5e19_o.png

Thanks for the scan of sketch, and especially letter.

What a loss. Just a really great guy

Dave Steven's layout for Space Vixens in 3-D. He sent this to me in 1988 to use as reference to shoot photographs for the finished work.

I mentioned this about a hundred or so pages ago.

I actually tracked this down to Lea Hernandez and offered to purchase it from her. She said that it wasn't for sale because of the sentimental value. Two weeks later it showed up on CAF. I guess sentimental means "sold". :D

About 10 years ago, I saw a good amount of Dave's art at a friend's place as it was getting scanned. Mostly ROCKETEER related. It was overwhelming...way more than I could possibly remember (although some highlights still stick out). None of it was for sale, except for a couple of smaller pieces. Which I stupidly passed on. When I came to my senses later on, they were no longer available as Dave decided to keep them. (Luckily, I got a second chance a couple of years down the road.)

The CROSSFIRE and JONNY QUEST covers are in private collections, that I can say for sure.

I mentioned this about a hundred or so pages ago.

I actually tracked this down to Lea Hernandez and offered to purchase it from her. She said that it wasn't for sale because of the sentimental value. Two weeks later it showed up on CAF. I guess sentimental means "sold". :D

I thought it usually meant, should of offered more in this hobby.

Starslayers #2 9.8 @ $76 & 24 watchers. 1st app of Rocketeer? I didn't know that. hm
Back up story. BTW, whoever picked up the Betty's Boudoir print, well done. I was watching it till the last seconds. Didn't pull the trigger, though. Seller never got back to me about the discolorization on the pic. Couldn't tell if it was on plastic cover or print itself. Dying to know if I lost on a sure thing or not.

:shy:

DestinyScienceFictionFanzine2CGC96DaveStevenscover_zps91dd5ee1.jpg

After finding out that CGC graded this book (which is still a fantastic find in itself anyway), it appears CGC has changed some of its policies concerning amateurly designed fanzines.