• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

So, most of the keys I have so far are minor (UXM 109,120,121,221, NTT 2, etc.)

I'm looking for a good key book to invest in but I'm not sure if I'm better off with a GSX 1 CGC 7.5-8.5 OR IH 181 of some random grade....

I'm looking for a book for investment purposes because i'm 30 so i figure by the time i'm 60, some of these should be worth my time to hang on to.

Any thoughts?

Any other books you would suggest?

I case you were wondering, the absoloute most I could spend on this is $800, whichever book I end up going with.

Thanks for your help!

Also, I'm not looking to buy this book right now, I like to research and ponder before making big purchases, so as much as I appreciate the offers, please don't msg me with offers. I'm just not ready to buy yet. (thumbs u

Any reason for the DD #1? I'm not a huge DD fan...

As far as the IH 181, i'm worried that my budget will only allow me a 3.0 or maybe a 4.0. Will the lower grades be as in demand as the higher ones? (Obviously the higher grades will be more in demand, but you know what I mean)

I Know a lot of people here are big on IH 181, and I love wolverine, but I look at GSX 1 and it's the first appearance of 3 characters plus wolverines second, so I dunno...

Any thoughts?

In genuine honesty, comics aren't something that I'd recommend for a long term investment. There is no way to know what the market will be like by then. The whole back issue trade could've died down to nothing.

Any thoughts?

In genuine honesty, comics aren't something that I'd recommend for a long term investment. There is no way to know what the market will be like by then. The whole back issue trade could've died down to nothing.

+1

That said buy the best presenting Hulk 181 and hang onto it for at least a single year then sell it for around 20-25% return. Very good return for a single year. Data can be found in completed Ebay sales and GPA which I highly recommend subscribing to. The Hulk 181's in lower grade have significant upward trending because they have a lower price point to enter the market which means more potential buyers.

Any reason for the DD #1? I'm not a huge DD fan...

As far as the IH 181, i'm worried that my budget will only allow me a 3.0 or maybe a 4.0. Will the lower grades be as in demand as the higher ones? (Obviously the higher grades will be more in demand, but you know what I mean)

I Know a lot of people here are big on IH 181, and I love wolverine, but I look at GSX 1 and it's the first appearance of 3 characters plus wolverines second, so I dunno...

If you're not a DD fan, I wouldn't do it. There is uncertainty in the long term value of comics, so I'd only want to own books that I want to own regardless. I mentioned DD1 because I think it's still affordable for a first appearance of a major character (and I like DD), but it may not be for long, especially if DD finds himself in a Marvel produced Avengers movie (or even a new Marvel produced DD movie).

I love GSXM1, but those three first appearances in it are never going to be as big a deal in the market as Wolverine's first, IMO. If Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus were going to get a price bump, they would have already from their many previous movie appearances. Are any of them likely to have a solo movie? I like the characters because I like the X-Men, so GSXM1 is a must-own for me regardless, but I'm not holding out for any price bump due to movies or any other reasons. 30 years from now (your buy and hold timeframe), will those three characters have risen to some iconic status, maintain where they've been for the past 40 years, or taper off? I don't know.

As far as buying a mid-grade 181 is concerned, I think they will continue to grow in price as the higher grades become too expensive for many buyers. I think we're seeing that low-mid grade value bump going on right now. At least it's frequently brought up in the Bronze forum here. I do think 30 years from now that Wolverine is much more likely to have or maintain his iconic status, therefore I think he's the better bet from a long-term buy and hold value increase potential.

I am looking into buying both in high grade in the near future myself.

Do what makes you happy! Most important thing. I am collecting, so I doubt I will ever resell, but who knows what the future brings?

I'm a collector and I only buy what I like (My collection is pretty random) but I don't like one more than the other. I do plan on selling the bulk of my collection once I turn 60, and the special ones i'll pass down to my kids. But I don't know what the comic market is going to be like in 30 yrs... so gamble i guess...

I bought my GSXM 1 about 15 years ago. I bought my IH 181 recently. Had I bought them (at the same grade) in reverse order, I likely would have saved a few hundred bucks based on the price/value increases of each book.

Definitely buy the Hulk 181 over thr GSXM 1. There has been much more value growth when comparing the two. As much as I LOVE Nightrawler, I'd argue that Wolverine is right behind Spidey in terms of popularity.

As far as investments go, Is there any real proof that key comic books are a bad long term investment? Have most major key comics of today taken a huge hit in the past like real estate? (If they did, please fill me in, because I'm not aware of such a crash). 30 years ago I'm sure many people were advising against investing in major keys because they were "bad long term investments", but for the people who thought otherwise are now kicking back comfortably with their AF 15's and high grade Hulk 181's. Unless there is an apocalyptic war that breaks out, I believe major key issues will continue to rise in value for the next 30+ years. 2c

I'm not a comic book guru by any means, but this is just the advice I can offer of having been a collector/speculator for the past 20 years.

Good luck!

So I bought both last year at around the same time. I bought my IH #181 for about $800 and it has now reached $1000. I bought my GSXM #1 for $500 and it flucuates around $700-$750. (It will probably jump a little because of the recent Nightcrawler announcement)

I believe the IH #181 has the longest lasting value. It is just one of those keys that will never lose value much like AF #15.

I just wonder if as our generation of physical paper comic book buyers and collectors passes on, will the digital age kids of today care as much about old paper comics, especially if they never bought or read them as kids. If so, great! I'd imagine there would be some, but enough to keep prices perpetually rising or at least steady with the demand? It will be interesting to see how the collecting landscape changes with time.

I just wonder if as our generation of physical paper comic book buyers and collectors passes on, will the digital age kids of today care as much about old paper comics, especially if they never bought or read them as kids. If so, great! I'd imagine there would be some, but enough to keep prices perpetually rising or at least steady with the demand? It will be interesting to see how the collecting landscape changes with time.

I think people tend to not give the digital generation enough credit. Those kids may be reading digital comics now, but as they get older, they will come to a realization that digital comics are incredibly limited, and offer no tangible value. When they become adults, land careers, and make good money, they will want to invest that money into something. If they're still gung-ho about comics (which I'm sure a lot of them will be), then they will invest their money in comics...paper comics.

lol, off topic but a pipe froze and burst at my place last week and I remember as I was fixing it I was looking at all the water thinking.... I chose to collect paper.... Water, fire, even air is bad for it... :facepalm: