• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Other than on these boards, I don't really hear much about Okajima copies.

But for the ones I collect and have experience with (Larson, Church, SF, Recil Macon, Rockford), the Church books are the creme de la creme. Even though they no longer fetch 5X guide regularly, they do sell briskly at 2-3X guide depending on guide value. Very expensive books in guide don't command multiples though because they are already so high. The others I've mentioned typically sell for 2X

Please point me to where these Church books are selling for 2-3X guide. For most of the ones I'm interested in 4-5X would be a bargain.

Depends entirely on the book. For most Church books, 2-3X is pretty much ballpark. Exceptional books (scarce, high demand and/or highest graded copy) are another matter altogether.

Some Church books aren't on the market and probably won't be even at 5X Guide, but there are other pedigrees and better price-points.

Given 2 same books in identical grades, I would hazard a guess that 99/100 times the pedigree copy would be chosen. Whatever that increase in demand is relative to supply will translate into a higher price. Which pedigree, which issue, what condition, what demand ,etc as well as a myriad of others, are all factors and thus it is virtually impossible to apply a single formula that would hold true

Depends on the pedigree. Do you really see people choosing Rockfords, Crippens, and stamped Crowleys over non-peds?

Absolutely, but again, it depends entirely on the book. A low interest book isn't going to miraculously increase in popularity simply because it's pedigreed.

bathroom-supplies-dpr-00910ea-dial-gold-bar-27554sma.jpg

Depends on the pedigree. Do you really see people choosing Rockfords, Crippens, and stamped Crowleys over non-peds?

I would in a heartbeat given same grade and PQ. The stamped Crowley/File Copies are some of my favorites!

Given 2 same books in identical grades, I would hazard a guess that 99/100 times the pedigree copy would be chosen. Whatever that increase in demand is relative to supply will translate into a higher price. Which pedigree, which issue, what condition, what demand ,etc as well as a myriad of others, are all factors and thus it is virtually impossible to apply a single formula that would hold true

rockfords and crippens yes. Stamped crowleys not Nec but many like them

What about Mohawk Valley books? Are they desirable and go for multiples of guide?

i've had a few, since i need it for my type-set [they go in both s.a. and g.a.], but none cost me a premium. they usually have middling pq, and the titles i've seen aren't very hot.

i'll choose them over non-peds in most situations. not a c/ow over a white paged book, however.

What about Mohawk Valley books? Are they desirable and go for multiples of guide?

i've had a few, since i need it for my type-set [they go in both s.a. and g.a.], but none cost me a premium. they usually have middling pq, and the titles i've seen aren't very hot.

That Tomahawk MV copy you have is a keeper.

G.A.tor,

So all things being equal, how much does a books pedigree increase the value of a book? (i.e. two books with same grade, but one book is a Larson copy.)

I believe it absolutely is more desirable in most every case but I never seen a consistent % value increase.

It also depends on the pedigree. And the comic. Some of the less collected comics can get a bigger bump just so someone can say they have a Church or Okajima comic.

That's a good point. Some of the easier to find pedigrees -- Bethlehem, say -- don't seem to bring much of a premium on more common or less desirable books. I've bought copies of such books where the seller didn't even note (or maybe didn't notice) the pedigree. There was someone a while ago arguing that pedigrees don't matter except for the top three or four (Church, Okajima, SF), but I would disagree with that.

But for the ones I collect and have experience with (Larson, Church, SF, Recil Macon, Rockford), the Church books are the creme de la creme. Even though they no longer fetch 5X guide regularly, they do sell briskly at 2-3X guide depending on guide value. Very expensive books in guide don't command multiples though because they are already so high. The others I've mentioned typically sell for 2X

Please point me to where these Church books are selling for 2-3X guide. For most of the ones I'm interested in 4-5X would be a bargain.

For books very low in guide, sure, you can get 4-5X. Check out recent sales at the auction houses for information on the lower multiples. I know first hand, sadly, how the sales have gone of late. But, certainly for the right stuff, Church books still command high premiums

G.A.tor,

So all things being equal, how much does a books pedigree increase the value of a book? (i.e. two books with same grade, but one book is a Larson copy.)

I believe it absolutely is more desirable in most every case but I never seen a consistent % value increase.

It also depends on the pedigree. And the comic. Some of the less collected comics can get a bigger bump just so someone can say they have a Church or Okajima comic.

That's a good point. Some of the easier to find pedigrees -- Bethlehem, say -- don't seem to bring much of a premium on more common or less desirable books. I've bought copies of such books where the seller didn't even note (or maybe didn't notice) the pedigree. There was someone a while ago arguing that pedigrees don't matter except for the top three or four (Church, Okajima, SF), but I would disagree with that.

For books very low in guide, sure, you can get 4-5X. Check out recent sales at the auction houses for information on the lower multiples. I know first hand, sadly, how the sales have gone of late. But, certainly for the right stuff, Church books still command high premiums

I don't think you can put any consistent range on Church books. My sweet spot is books in the $500-1500 range according to guide. For books I've had interest in over the past year (generally average to above average demand WWII era GA) I'm seeing results from 2-11X without much predictability to what will or won't go absolutely nuts.

If you're buying post-'1945 drek you can find stuff for even below guide at times.

My point is that to peg them all in a 2-3X window misses the mark completely. The variance isn't predictable at all.

G.A.tor,

I don't think you can put any consistent range on Church books. My sweet spot is books in the $500-1500 range according to guide. For books I've had interest in over the past year (generally average to above average demand WWII era GA) I'm seeing results from 2-11X without much predictability to what will or won't go absolutely nuts.

If you're buying post-'1945 drek you can find stuff for even below guide at times.

My point is that to peg them all in a 2-3X window misses the mark completely. The variance isn't predictable at all.

that's why I qualified it with "my experience", didn't say it was the multiple law so to speak

Not all are tanning but many I've seen are

..... They're certainly worth looking at in person...... a friend recently picked up quite a few MV copies from the Showcase run..... and probably close to half of them surprised me as to how nice they actually were..... PQ wise. The others, with the exception of one, weren't as horrible as word of mouth led me to expect. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not all are tanning but many I've seen are

..... They're certainly worth looking at in person...... a friend recently picked up quite a few MV copies from the Showcase run..... and probably close to half of them surprised me as to how nice they actually were..... PQ wise. The others, with the exception of one, weren't as horrible as word of mouth led me to expect. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have a Batman 126 I bought off eBay MANY years ago (probably 14 or so). It is an old label and the page quality is listed as "cream", not cream to off white, but just cream. Structurally it is really nice. It is an old label so maybe with CGCs it would get labeled as "white" lol

This was the 1st Mohawk I saw for sell and I bought it for less than guide at the time.