• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,784 posts in this topic

Daredevil 115 has a ad for Wolverine in it before Hulk 181 came out. There is a demand for this book because of that. Do I agree with it, no, but it doesn't make it not valuable to some segment of collectors because I don't care about a book that they want.

There are comic book collectors that want and cherish these type of oddities. To sit here and give absolute judgments on a segment of the market is foolish.

It also doesn't make it a first appearence as most collectors understand it. I don't think people mind a premium for these things, the problem is when people present them as first appearences. It's the deceptive huckster wildly_fanciful_statement that I detest.

Daredevil 115 has a ad for Wolverine in it before Hulk 181 came out. There is a demand for this book because of that. Do I agree with it, no, but it doesn't make it not valuable to some segment of collectors because I don't care about a book that they want.

There are comic book collectors that want and cherish these type of oddities. To sit here and give absolute judgments on a segment of the market is foolish.

It also doesn't make it a first appearence as most collectors understand it. I don't think people mind a premium for these things, the problem is when people present them as first appearences. It's the deceptive huckster wildly_fanciful_statement that I detest.

Yes.

So we're clear (because, around here, everything needs to be clarified to death), there's nothing wrong with having Marvel Age #97 be worth more than #96, because #97 has a preview of (Insert Hot Flavor Of The Month Character Here.) It's nifty, it's neat, and often features cover art and other goodies that aren't found in the "official" book.

There IS something wrong, however, with people walking around saying "OMG, Marvel Age #97 has the REAL first appearance of (Insert Hot Flavor Of The Month Character Here), and is WAYYY more important than (insert actual, contextual first appearance issue here)!!!" Not only is it immensely dishonest, and not at all in keeping with the spirit of both tradition AND publisher intent, it will eventually bite you in the arse when people realize that you were being deceptive.

This madness started with Absolute Vertigo #1. Damn you, Vertigo!

So we're clear (because, around here, everything needs to be clarified to death), there's nothing wrong with having Marvel Age #97 be worth more than #96, because #97 has a preview of (Insert Hot Flavor Of The Month Character Here.) It's nifty, it's neat, and often features cover art and other goodies that aren't found in the "official" book.

There IS something wrong, however, with people walking around saying "OMG, Marvel Age #97 has the REAL first appearance of ((Insert Hot Flavor Of The Month Character Here), and is WAYYY more important than (insert actual, contextual first appearance issue here)!!! Not only is it immensely dishonest, and not at all in keeping with the spirit of both tradition AND publisher intent, it will eventually bite you in the arse when people realize that you were being deceptive.

This madness started with Absolute Vertigo #1. Damn you, Vertigo!

Not that I disagree but I wouldn't call Darkhawk a Hot Flavor Of The Month Character. I think he has a small segment of fans and doesn't exactly attract the attention of speculators.

So what about something like Deadworld 10 with the full-page pinup of The Crow on the back cover? How do you guys weigh-in on that as the first appearance?

PS - I picked two out of a 50 cent box yesterday at Heroes MiniCon!

Apparently it has to be an in story appearance to count as a true first appearance. Pin ups and ads don't count. Previews don't count.

That being said, it probably still has value, if the right collectors are aware of it.

So what about something like Deadworld 10 with the full-page pinup of The Crow on the back cover? How do you guys weigh-in on that as the first appearance?

Apparently it has to be an in story appearance to count as a true first appearance. Pin ups and ads don't count. Previews don't count.

That being said, it probably still has value, if the right collectors are aware of it.

Since it's the 1st published picture of the Crow and being the 1st Caliber book, Crow collectors want it. Funny that, every copy I've had and sold came from either a 50 cent box or dollar bin

So what if the preview itself is a story? I'm talking DCP #26 and New Teen Titans #16. And if so, would Walking Dead 127 fall into the same category? Are these the 1st apps of the New Teen Titans, Captain Carrot and Outcast? I apologize for bringing a modern into the discussion but it's a pretty good example.

So what if the preview itself is a story? I'm talking DCP #26 and New Teen Titans #16. And if so, would Walking Dead 127 Image Expo jan 2014 fall into the same category? Are these the 1st apps of the New Teen Titans, Captain Carrot and Outcast? I apologize for bringing a modern into the discussion but it's a pretty good example.

FTFY