• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree collectors

100 posts in this topic

rosa and thompson, peds. just look where cgc puts it on the label. in middle, under title, just a notable collector's collection, i.e. cage, blades, jacquet, gibson, manarino, etc. over on the right, in the "pedigree spot," it's a ped.

The Don Rosa books that hit the market were just his books from the '70-'85. Check out this quote from his epilogue he wanted included in his Duck anthology:

I still have my childhood collections. An entire “vault”, like a Money Bin, filled with 40,000 comics. All the Barks comics, but also most every American comic book 1945-1970. My old MAD magazines. My monster movie magazines. My full set of “TV GUIDE” magazine. Plus a room full of DVDs of my favorite movies, another two or three rooms filled with books by my favorite authors, a room of books about old movies and newspaper comics. When I finally learn to relax, I plan on just sitting and rereading and rewatching all of these favorite entertainments. That’s my new fondest dream.

How does CGC recognize Kansas City books? I don't believe they are marked and were found by the Thompsons so long ago. I didn't think they even documented them. I think I might have a Capt. Marvel that I got in a trade from Don Thompson a hundred years ago at San Diego con I believe.

I started a "type" collection like Strawman years ago but kind of gave up when I couldn't find (or afford) many of them.

Now, I pretty much go for the ones with distinctive markings (Larson, Okajima, ect.)

I do have a Famous Funnies can't remember which issue off the top of my head, that I have the Lost Valley, Mile High, and Central Valley copies of. Would like to find more copies of that issue I don't have.

I'm a big fan of markings and names myself. I really don't have much interest in owning Mile High/Church copies that aren't coded, as I love those markings and "Larson" so much

every g.a. collector i know prefers the markings. in silver, however, i think they differ. for example, those guys often have disdain for a dennis-signed winnipeg, seeking a "clean" copy instead. not me--gimme the name.

Given how distributor markings were so prevalent, I think GA folks welcome the markings as a part of the history of the book. While the markings are fine, I really enjoy the pedigrees with a history to them. Church, Okajima, Recil Macon, Crippen all have great back stories to go along with good-to-great quality books. While I love the Central Valleys for their beautiful white pages, the ones with the store stamps are the ones that I consider the coolest.

On the other hand, the SF/O'Reilly books have lost some of their allure to me given the increasing appearance that the story behind them was made up. They are lovely books and a joy to see, but knowing they might have been puffed up a bit with an urban legend diminishes the value I would place on them.

I agree with you Cheetah but no matter what the "story" is those books can be breathtaking. I've only got a few and they all have the stamp on back. I remember finding a few up in the bay area not noted. When I saw the stamp on back I got a little weak in the knees. Too bad about the bad press on them...

Reading this very interesting thread made me wonder if years from now,

(not in my lifetime) when and if my Collection is sold, could they be considered

as "pedigreed"? I know CGC does not consider them because of the small

quantity (700+) and quality (average 5.0)...but might a dealer find it beneficial

to list them as "Original Owner Collection"?

mm

I think your books would definitely be an attractive OO collection, particularly to any collector familiar with your contributions to these boards.

I'd like to nominate Bang Zoom's collection! Still takes my breath away and has a good back story as well. If they ever came to market I'd love to see a certificate with a photo of the kids house and the store where they were purchased.

Agreed. And I'd love to just have one book from the collection

How does CGC recognize Kansas City books? I don't believe they are marked and were found by the Thompsons so long ago. I didn't think they even documented them. I think I might have a Capt. Marvel that I got in a trade from Don Thompson a hundred years ago at San Diego con I believe.

I started a "type" collection like Strawman years ago but kind of gave up when I couldn't find (or afford) many of them.

Now, I pretty much go for the ones with distinctive markings (Larson, Okajima, ect.)

I do have a Famous Funnies can't remember which issue off the top of my head, that I have the Lost Valley, Mile High, and Central Valley copies of. Would like to find more copies of that issue I don't have.

I'm a big fan of markings and names myself. I really don't have much interest in owning Mile High/Church copies that aren't coded, as I love those markings and "Larson" so much

I too love the markings and names. When I found the Guy Holcombe collection I felt an immediate bond with the former owner of the books. My favorite Windy Citys are the ones with the A Wallace neatly penciled in the logo. Most of these are late 40s and early/mid 50s. Here's the sig from Flyboy 1 (courtesy of Pedigree Man).

WC_Flyboy_sig_zps1f34d2cd.jpg

I too love the markings and names. When I found the Guy Holcombe collection I felt an immediate bond with the former owner of the books. My favorite Windy Citys are the ones with the A Wallace neatly penciled in the logo. Most of these are late 40s and early/mid 50s. Here's the sig from Flyboy 1 (courtesy of Pedigree Man).

WC_Flyboy_sig_zps1f34d2cd.jpg

I've never owned a Windy City book. I have held out for a cool marked one but have had little success. One of these days the right book will come to me.

jeff doesn't like the stamp; neither does ricky. i'm in the middle; not crazy about it if it's terribly obtrusive, but no problemo if placed nicely. i like this one:

capmid5.jpg

I like markings. Don't like big stamps

jeff doesn't like the stamp; neither does ricky. i'm in the middle; not crazy about it if it's terribly obtrusive, but no problemo if placed nicely. i like this one:

capmid5.jpg

I like markings. Don't like big stamps

Hole filler.

CaptainMidnight27.jpg

Keeper.

CaptainMidnight27-2_zps6fa5bfa9.jpg

I have a few Blankiss Salida books I got from Metro a few years ago. Like the marks and some of the whitest pages I have ever seen! I've wanted a Green River book but never see any for sale either.

green river has no g.a. presence. salidas straddle g.a. and s.a.

cbw1.jpg

:golfclap:

Here's an interesting twist to the A Wallace signature. Andy lived with his spinster sister, Anna. The signature sure looks feminine to me... I'm pretty sure she put the name on the cover...

And it's clear that the signatures in both examples above are in a different hand...

Edited by Moondog

inadvertently came across this old thread while doing a little search.  had fun reading it again.  and, along the lines of peds with barely any presence in an era, here is the only g.a. fantucchio i saw come up for sale.  i was all over it.  the "little" daring run is gone now, but have to keep this'un for the type-set.

daring11fantucchio.jpg