• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

For what its worth I called every Hot Topic in town...... two locations destroyed theirs, one sent them back to corp and another said they did not receive any. The one store that did have some put them back out for sale. They only had 4 copies. Their retail space for comics was one small shelf that could hold maybe 20 comics max. They had a few My Little Ponys after I left. I figured its not too much of a gamble at buy one and get one at 50% off.

Edited by THB

I still dont understand why its recalled? because of the Hulk action figure or because of some movie announcement which is leaked in the book.. so confused

That's because it is not recalled. It is delayed despite some here would have you believe. 2c

who the heck knows anymore.. the whole thing is so absurd.. iev heard people saying that this hottpic malarkey is the next 35 cent star wars :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

People forget that - this book had a million variants and I wouldnt be surprised that even if its recalled the print run of that variant will prolly be higher than some other variants of the same book.. Theres just too damn many

Well IH324 is picking up steam on the bay probably because of this too.

A few weeks ago, it was selling $8-10 tops. Last few days they've been going for $30-40+ or more. (shrug)

Has there been any definitive statement about whether the Hot Topics that are being "recalled" are indeed actually being destroyed - or just stored for later distribution?

Looks like they are going back on sale

From facebook

Supposedly email sent to Hot Topic Stores

official HOT TOPIC Star Wars #1 variant update:

a) Do NOT purchase this variant on eBay at ridiculous prices !

b) Stores that did not discard and/or destroy their copies are returning them to the sales floor and continue to sell at $4.99

c) There is no confirmation that a "reprint" is coming.

d) The FUNKO POP! Avengers image on the back of the comic is no longer "confidential".

e) Bleeding Cool's terms of "recall" / "pulping" / and "spoiler" were not used in any of the Hot Topic official e-mails, and their stated price was not $3.99, actually it should of been $7.99, but stores are honoring the $4.99 cover price, until further notice. (again too much conflicting information)

f) Hot Topic stores will receive "further direction" on Monday.

I'm glad I saw this this morning. I immediately called all 3 OKC area Hot Topic stores asking about the Star Wars #1 variant. Two of the 3 stores had already (supposedly) trashed all of their copies. The store closest to me had 1 copy left. When I got to the store, I had to wait in line a couple of minutes and noticed a neat Thor hammer key ring. The stores are currently having a "Buy 1 item get 50% off the 2nd item". Since the key ring was slightly higher than the comic, I got the variant for $2.50. :grin:

There are still people selling them on these boards for big money currently...

sour grapes

This could be interesting. I wonder how many sellers will let the buyers slide (out of kindness, not because they are obligated or should) or are we going to get a lot of Probation List nominations for non-payment?

We may still be in about the 7th inning of this whole saga. Value will ultimately depend on how many got destroyed or will get released by HT. Nobody knows what that will be yet. But any buyers wouldn't have let sellers off the hook if the price had continued to go up, would they? hm

In my area malls, one Hot Topic had destroyed their copies, one had sold out, while the other had 6 copies. I grabbed all 6 for $24. So maybe they're not worth $200 each, but it still seems to be a fairly hard to find variant.

Found the links confirming it. Thank you Court.

So a random post on a Star Wars Comic Facebook page is a confirmation? Of what, something they heard? I'm still not clear on who posted the information or what their source was.

A friend of mine bought 4 and I bought the last 5 at a hot topic in my area. He sold 4 at around 170 a piece yesterday. I sold 4 of the 5 for about 160 each yesterday. We took the chance that they wouldn't gain value. One of his buyers, after buying, paying and sending a message as to when he would ship- hours later asked for a refund. I've bought stuff and regretted it but you have to man up and deal with it. You win some, you lose some. Too many punks on ebay.

A friend of mine bought 4 and I bought the last 5 at a hot topic in my area. He sold 4 at around 170 a piece yesterday. I sold 4 of the 5 for about 160 each yesterday. We took the chance that they wouldn't gain value. One of his buyers, after buying, paying and sending a message as to when he would ship- hours later asked for a refund. I've bought stuff and regretted it but you have to man up and deal with it. You win some, you lose some. Too many punks on ebay.

Yup. Please avoid ebay name mik-salis. He's the one the bought one from me, paid, and even asked me to ship same day. Hours later he asked to cancel transaction saying he had bought on mistake.

I'm not sure if mik-salis is a member or not but please avoid him. I will be submitting a request to the ebay thread block list here on forums. I don't care about the money but when I close a deal (win or lose), I keep my word. Now he even opened a paypal case stating "item not received". Opened case same day as paying for item.

As I said, I don't care about the money, but be a man about it. I've lost some and won some.

Yup. Please avoid ebay name mik-salis. He's the one the bought one from me, paid, and even asked me to ship same day. Hours later he asked to cancel transaction saying he had bought on mistake.

I'm not sure if mik-salis is a member or not but please avoid him. I will be submitting a request to the ebay thread block list here on forums. I don't care about the money but when I close a deal (win or lose), I keep my word. Now he even opened a paypal case stating "item not received". Opened case same day as paying for item.

As I said, I don't care about the money, but be a man about it. I've lost some and won some.

I don't know what your refund policy is, but if you do have one, then at least the buyer saved you a lot of hassle by backing out now instead of asking to return the book later.

Edited by aelelarkin

In my area malls, one Hot Topic had destroyed their copies, one had sold out, while the other had 6 copies. I grabbed all 6 for $24. So maybe they're not worth $200 each, but it still seems to be a fairly hard to find variant.

Hot Topics ordered more than 3000 copies. This is not one of the hard to find variants unfortunately for those who got fleeced this week.

Edited by rjrjr

So a random post on a Star Wars Comic Facebook page is a confirmation? Of what, something they heard? I'm still not clear on who posted the information or what their source was.

About the same as the rumor of the recall. There was no official word on that either. (shrug)

If they were advertise as "recalled" comics and it turns out the comics are not recalled, then the buyer has every right to return this comic.

About the same as the rumor of the recall. There was no official word on that either. (shrug)

Fair point, but at least there we had a couple of stories on Bleeding Cool. It was something.