• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
60 60

15,838 posts in this topic

Someone decided that these books were no longer worth keeping, so they took them to Half Price Books.

Works for me.

All #1 issues in fantastic shape. No other issues present from any of the runs.

photo_zps795b98fd.jpg

If only photobucket worked right now... :popcorn:

Well that was unfortunate.

Not sure if the site is doing any better.

photo_zps795b98fd-1.jpg

Went to a book donation center that benefits the local library today. Digging through the long boxes of moderns and 90s drek paid off. Walked away with this for 50 cents:

2mnom8h.jpg

Cool find. Did you buy anything else? Since it was for charity, and all?

Went to a book donation center that benefits the local library today. Digging through the long boxes of moderns and 90s drek paid off. Walked away with this for 50 cents:

2mnom8h.jpg

Cool find. Did you buy anything else? Since it was for charity, and all?

Yeah, picked up a good bit more but nothing else of note. A bunch of Christopher Priest's Black Panther run and about 10 children's books that the wife got for her friend's baby shower.

Edited by Unca Scrooge

2mnom8h.jpg

Amazing find. You gotta wonder how in the world a book like this ends up in a 50c bin hm

Not your average high print run drek.

I have a theory that some times these 50 cent and dollar bins get seeded with a few worthwhile books on purpose to encourage someone to go through the whole thing-- with the hopes that finding some of those will inspire other purchases too.

thought that seems a little like wishful thinking.

also-- shame on people for dumping books in a bin like that-- drek or not-- one days drek can become another days gold. The shear volume of those books is daunting-- but you keep messing them up over time and the good copies will eventually become much more valuable. In the mid-80s, you couldn't get squat for most bronze books. Amazing what time and poor treatment can do.

I have a theory that some times these 50 cent and dollar bins get seeded with a few worthwhile books on purpose to encourage someone to go through the whole thing-- with the hopes that finding some of those will inspire other purchases too.

thought that seems a little like wishful thinking.

also-- shame on people for dumping books in a bin like that-- drek or not-- one days drek can become another days gold. The shear volume of those books is daunting-- but you keep messing them up over time and the good copies will eventually become much more valuable. In the mid-80s, you couldn't get squat for most bronze books. Amazing what time and poor treatment can do.

Your theory is is reality at my favorite LCS. The owner often seeds semi valuable books in there to encourage people to dig. I think it's a good strategy because it brings people into the shop on a regular basis to try and treasure hunt, and I know in my case I usually buy something every time I go to the shop. Other shops in our area will put on FB when they get new back issues in, and while this may work for them it usually makes it so I won't go to their store because I can see all the books online so why would I go treasure hunting?

Sometimes the 50 cent bins are just books that the store owner forgot about OR didnt realize that the book had become hot. Many I time In would take my book for $1 to the front knowing its a $10 book now wonder if they knew. Sometimes you can tell but I dont think I ever had anyone tell me they cant sell it that cheap.

2mnom8h.jpg

Amazing find. You gotta wonder how in the world a book like this ends up in a 50c bin hm

+1 amazing find

now go post this at the copper heating up thread so we could have some controversial input from the paneliists lol

2mnom8h.jpg

I'm 99% sure no one at this place even looks through the comics when they come in and I doubt they'd know what to look for regardless. All of the longboxes there are on a low shelf and you have to crouch down to look through them. I stop by once every six months or so and they usually have about 5-6 boxes that don't seem to change much.

Just picked up over 600 comics at an estate sale. All are DC books from the mid-1950s to the early 70s with the majority being early Silver Age. Almost all were Superman titles, with about 50 or so Batman and Detective thrown in. I'll post pictures when I finish sorting through them.

Just picked up over 600 comics at an estate sale. All are DC books from the mid-1950s to the early 70s with the majority being early Silver Age. Almost all were Superman titles, with about 50 or so Batman and Detective thrown in. I'll post pictures when I finish sorting through them.

pms incoming!! Great find, what is the average condition?

Average is probably VG- to FN, with some much nicer and a few rags. Oddly, lots of duplicates.

Average is probably VG- to FN, with some much nicer and a few rags. Oddly, lots of duplicates.

Awesome. Picked up a Batman 121 at that Estate sale and and some cool Rodan lobby cards. Those early Jimmy Olsens and Lois Lanes were tempting........