• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Comics Journal
3 3

316 posts in this topic

Issue #71May 1946Rating: 3photo flash71001_zps876f8363.jpg

The Flash comedy yarns are starting to stray intoredundancy. The Ghost Patrol offer the most amusing story of the issue.

photo flash71003_zps09acb26c.jpg

photo flash71004_zpsd463c8ed.jpgThe Hawkman story foreshadows Flash Comics #106 (May 1959), “Menace of theSuper-Gorilla!”. Hawkman’s visit to mystical Feithera is similar in descriptionto the Flash traveling to the lost Gorilla City in Africa. The good vs. evil ofboth worlds match-up of between the birdmen of Worla\Trata and the gorillas ofSolovar\Grodd.photo flash71005_zps78e34516.jpg

Issue #72

June 1946

Rating: 3

photo flash72001_zps6ca6479b.jpg

photo flash72003_zps30240abf.jpg

The Flash returns with the customary rotating cover feature

after several issues absent. If by popular appeal for the Hawkman or the

editors just missed the alternating monthly order, who knows.

Edited by tabcom

Issue #73July 1946Rating: 3photo flash73001_zps93a99eb9.jpg

This and the next issue are examples of dull scripts and notinspiring art. Joe Kubert uses the Hawkman to reimage the mythos from what hasbeen done before -- with satisfactory results.
photo flash73003_zpsa5d12cec.jpgphoto flash73004_zps1205794e.jpgphoto flash73005_zps4ebca084.jpgphoto flash73006_zpsa67e1c95.jpgphoto flash73007_zps9e611ce3.jpgphoto flash73008_zpsdbfde455.jpgphoto flash73009_zps679b6089.jpgphoto flash73010_zpsce689ebd.jpgphoto flash73011_zps8dd41d84.jpg

Issue #75

Sept. 1946

Rating: 4

photo flash10008_zps4d931e5d.jpg

This issue is significant in that it reflects two different styles of scripts offered by Fox.

The artwork layouts by Hibbard and Kubert differ significantly also. You get the Flash in

a routine weird science\gags\crooks formula strip drawn in flat 2 dimensional panels.

photo flash10010_zps0e00137f.jpg

You also get the Hawkman in a 5th dimension shadow boxing

match that Kubert takes the backgrounds and makes them the foreground.

Techniques by both that will be perfected when the Hawkman makes his silver age

debut 18 years later.

photo flash10011_zps45646e0f.jpg

Issue #75

Sept. 1946

Rating: 4

photo flash10008_zps4d931e5d.jpg

This issue is significant in that it reflects two different styles of scripts offered by Fox.

The artwork layouts by Hibbard and Kubert differ significantly also. You get the Flash in

a routine weird science\gags\crooks formula strip drawn in flat 2 dimensional panels.

photo flash10010_zps0e00137f.jpg

You also get the Hawkman in a 5th dimension shadow boxing

match that Kubert takes the backgrounds and makes them the foreground.

Techniques by both that will be perfected when the Hawkman makes his silver age

debut 18 years later.

photo flash10011_zps45646e0f.jpg

Very cool. Being from New Orleans originally, that's one I'd love to read one day

Issue #76Oct. 1946Rating: 4photo flash10024_zpsa159e0fe.jpgThis issue is stronger in content then most of the issues of 1946.photo flash10025_zpse671763d.jpgE. E. Hibbard layouts are well thought out. They keep the action moving.photo flash10026_zps6b2794b4.jpgGhost Patrol and Johnny Thunder are entertaining. photo flash10027_zpse92bfe1c.jpg

The Hawkman is forward thinking in its layouts with a hint of the style of the pre-code horror genre.

Do the Kubert Hawkman covers tend to sell for more than the Flash covers from this era? I know that if I were to start looking for copies of Flash Comics, the Kubert covers and Black Canary appearances would be what I'd focus on.

Do the Kubert Hawkman covers tend to sell for more than the Flash covers from this era? I know that if I were to start looking for copies of Flash Comics, the Kubert covers and Black Canary appearances would be what I'd focus on.

Depends on how you define "this era." In the end of the run, some of the Hawkman covers are pretty great (lots of Kubert and some by other artists). But, across the entire run, I'd say the Sheldon Maldoff stuff is even more desirable (throwing out a few scarce issues in the end - driven more by rarity than Kubert).

For instance, Flash Comics 33 (like this one -- Flash Comics 33 copy on ComicLink) is fantastic. Hawkman...but Shelly.

Depends on how you define "this era." In the end of the run, some of the Hawkman covers are pretty great (lots of Kubert and some by other artists). But, across the entire run, I'd say the Sheldon Maldoff stuff is even more desirable (throwing out a few scarce issues in the end - driven more by rarity than Kubert).

For instance, Flash Comics 33 (like this one -- Flash Comics 33 copy on ComicLink) is fantastic. Hawkman...but Shelly.

I was thinking of the 1945- early 47 era when the covers mostly alternated between Kubet's Hawkman and Hibbard's Flash, but I agree some of the Moldoff covers are excellent. Later on with Infantino and even Kubert himself doing the Flash covers they improved IMHO. I'm not much of a Hibbard fan, and I really don't care for Nydell's Flash covers, so I've always been partial to the Hawkman covers, Kubert especially.

. . .

Depends on how you define "this era.". . .

1. #1-37

2. #86-104

3. #38-61

4. #62-85

Hardest issue of all . . .

If I ever started collecting DC sub-runs 86-104 would probably be my choice, Kubert, Infantino , Elias, Kinstler and Black Canary, it doesn't get any better. I'm looking forward to your reviews of those issues.

I'm curious as to why 37/38 would be considered a break in eras?

. . .

I'm curious as to why 37/38 would be considered a break in eras?

I suppose it was arbitrarily chosen for the convenience of breaking the series down into four quadrants.

Issue #39 introduces the Ghost Patrol. Issue #40 is one of my all time favorite, with art by Lou Ferstadt (undervalued as a superhero comic book artist). The rest of the issues between 38-61 are very good with Fox introducing new themes that would be staples in the sixties.

Issue #77November 1946Rating: 5photo flash10034_zps6a755707.jpg The inside house ad places the newsstand datefor this issue as September 11th, 1946photo flash10036_zps87eef569.jpgThe Flash has a super villain to counter, the “Jumper”.photo flash10037_zps010b7b24.jpgphoto flash10038_zps4369c5db.jpgphoto flash10039_zps82ecb79b.jpgJohnny Thunder has the Flash, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, and the Ghost Patrol make cameo appearances as he tries to remain relative to his editor.

Ghost Patrol is very good as well as Pedro meets a former lover – when he was alive.photo flash10040_zps0765f0cb.jpgHawkman uses the time honored superhero adventure technique of time travel to solve the mystery of the Curious Casket. Kubert leaves Hawkman for eight months at this point. Jon Chester Kozlak subs for a few issues.